Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Computer geeks needed, help me upgrade!
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

my home PC spec

OK, I know you’re bored otherwise you wouldn’t be on STW, I also know STW has a large amount of computer type people. Above is a link to the complete spec of my home PC…. want a chance to help a fellow rider AND waste time browsing the internet for parts? Well here’s your chance 😀

Basically in order to get it up to a standard that can handle editing HD footage from the new camera which should be arriving today I’ve been advised to get it up to about 4gb of RAM, throw in a 1tb internal HDD (was thinking might be better to get 2X500gb (or 2X1tb if the price is right) that way I’ve got a second drive to back-up stuff with or use if one fails on me), ugrade the graphics card to something new and nice that is about 1gb with a HDMI output and to upgrade the OS to windows 7… been advised to go for the 64bit OS.

So any advice is welcome, anyone who wants to spend time finding componants to put in there and post me links would also be appreciated! Also if you notice something in the spec that would mean any upgrades are pointless that’d be useful to know too as I have no clue 😳

Without your help I am at a huge risk of ordering completely wrong parts and screwing myself 😆

I thank you all in advance 🙂

(here’s a picture of a cat before it all gets serious and people argue about something i dont understand)

uplink
    Free Member

You may be better off looking at a SSD for the Video editing disc

Rio

Power supply looks a bit weedy, you may want to look at a 500W or greater if you want to drive a decent graphics card. I think the ICH7D controller on your motherboard supports some sort of RAID which given the current price of discs might be more cost-effective than an SSD if your video files are big.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d seriously consider something from the Apple brand, they just seem to work

br
    Free Member

Or just buy a new box – what’s the price difference?

_tom_
    Free Member

SSD would be good for the system drive but to use it as a video drive you’d have to spend so much money on a big SSD as HD video files are generally quite big. Of course you could leave enough space on the SSD for one video project at a time and then move the files off that drive onto a “normal” one, seems like a bit of a faff though.

philconsequence
    Free Member

hmmm yeah i know apples are gorgeous for editing on, but out of my price range 🙁 if the upgrades get to the point where its going to cost more than 400, would it be worth just getting a new unit? power supply is a good point, didnt even think about that!

DezB
    Free Member

I’m not interested enough to investigate the spec – all I know is for the HDMI editing, you also need an HDMI compatible monitor.
    My local geek emporium, Novatech.co.uk is a good place to get parts. I think they might have an online help to assist with your upgrade question too?

_tom_
    Free Member

Most modern graphics cards/monitors are DVI which is as good as HDMI isn’t it? I may be wrong though..

Macs are good for video but you need a pretty powerful one to get the best out of it which means spending £1500+ 🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

running a 32″ PC as a second monitor so the hdmi thing is covered 🙂

IA

Pentium Ds are a lot slower clock for clock than anything core 2 or i3 based. I’d be looking at a low end new box from dell with about £60 spent on a gfx card upgrade.

If doing it on the cheap, just up the ram to 4g, get a copy of win 7 (know a student or teacher? 30 then…), spend about £60 on a gfx card that doesnt need an extra power connection.

philconsequence
    Free Member

how low end is low?

i’ve possibly got the option (just had a text, hows that for timing!)of picking up a mac with a duffed hardrive for pretty cheap, but would need a new hardrive installed, when it comes to macs i have no idea if thats even possible or cost effective!

Rio

Pentium Ds are a lot slower clock for clock than anything core 2 or i3 based

You could slip a core 2 duo in there for about £100 but you would definitely be getting to the point where a new system might be cheaper.

Replacing a hard drive on a Mac shouldn’t be any harder than on a PC. Whether it’s worth it depends on the spec of the Mac.

IA

Which model mac and how much? Some are a bit of a hassle to change the drive. Also might be no faster than what you have depending on vintage.

Waderider
    Free Member

Upgrade to Windows 7? Is that a typing error?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I think you would be better off with a whole new box. Whats would you keep of your original set up?

Novatech will build you a nice box and you could keep you monitor and bits?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Best version of Windows. Without a doubt. What would you suggest Waderider?

IA

I’m a hardcore OSX/*nix user and even I think win 7 is “quite good”.

Waderider
    Free Member

XP, OSX, or linux are all better.

I ran build 7100 (I think that was the number) and it suffered from many of the problems my junked copy of Vista suffered from – resource hog, weighed down by drm and other useless bells and whistles, with driver issues, and file copying issues.

Of course, if you’re the type of person when asked “what sort of car do you have” answer “a red one” then no doubt it’s the OS for you. After all its a nice UI veneer over a load of creaking cobblers.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Its loads better than XP runs faster on most machines. OSX isn’t an option really, now is it? if hes getting a PC. I agree most Linus distributions are faster than Windows but this guy would be better with Windows 7.

Waderider
    Free Member

I agree Windows 7 is probably the OS for the OP. I’ll admit I am prone to making these posts because it annoys me that Windows holds onto such a large market share with a product that is broadly inferior.

Edit: I disagree that Windows 7 runs faster than XP. I’d say you’d be comparing an old slow XP installation against a new clean Windows 7 installation in that case. There you go, actually another minus point for Windows, it slows over time……

philconsequence
    Free Member

waiting for the guy to let me know the spec of the mac, i know he’s upgraded it to 3gb of ram as it came with one. other than that he knows nothing of the spec so is waiting for the wife to get home and dig up the reciept.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well I’ve been using W7 since last October doing fairly computer intensive stuff (video, audio and a lot of 3d graphics/rendering with GI etc) and it’s still fine.. runs better than XP ever did and looks/feels a lot nicer. Mine’s only 32 bit as well, planning on the 64 bit when I can be bothered to sort it all out.

I’ve got it and Snow Leopard on the same machine and they both run about the same in regards to time for boot up, programs loading up etc. Both are good, with the adobe suite there’s a lot of overlap. 7 will probably be faster when I finally get round to buying a SSD 😛 Oh and no blue screens as yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

XP is simply awful after you’ve been using W7 for a while. Love it.

IA

3gb suggests an early core 2 duo or core duo based model. If it’s Core 2 duo, it should be decent and depending on price a good deal. All intel macs are easy enough to change the HD in, apart from minis which are a bit of a tit, but it you’re mechanically minded I’d give it a go. Check ifixit.com for very good how-tos.

Also, Win7 is much better than XP, on clean installs of both. Multitasks so much better, feels a lot more like OSX (on the same hardware) in that respect. Doesn’t stall and lag all the time, and much more stable IME.

brassneck

i’ve possibly got the option (just had a text, hows that for timing!)of picking up a mac with a duffed hardrive for pretty cheap, but would need a new hardrive installed, when it comes to macs i have no idea if thats even possible or cost effective!

replaced em in an iMac (Intel) and a Macbook Pro (intel).
    Both fiddly, and you should be aware thatyou’ll need to run Diskutility fromthe boot media to create a volume to install to, but nothing a bit of patience, an internet connection and a big pot of tea can’t fix

philconsequence
    Free Member

hmmm well i think he’s been quoted 200 from apple, and an extra 50 for fitting, but to be honest if the specs capable of editing then even with the 250 quoted by apple it’d still come in cheaper than buying all the components to upgrade my home pc…. but until i find out the current specs of the machine to find out its graphics capabilities and cpu speed i’m not committing myself to anything.

Torminalis
    Free Member

philconsequence
    Free Member

ok, i’m back 😀

stumbled accross this…..

convince me not to go out and buy this before arriving home!

the iMac details are here:
    the iMac looking at the 20″ version with RAM upgraded to 3gb.

opinions oh tech gurus please

thank you 🙂

woody2000

Seriously Phil, take a look at the chillblast site above. You’ll get a very good spec base unit for the same cash as that HP.

Like this one for example

soma_rich
    Free Member

The HP looks OK but the one on the Chillblast site looks loads better.

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers woody 🙂 i’m probably being dumb beyond belief but… that one you linked to has less RAM and the graphics card appears to be much less powerful too? its 50quid more and doesnt come with a card reader (handy for taking footage off the helmet cam) and another thing that i’m unsure about is the whole overclocking thing, back when i was young that was something people did that although made a slight difference, invalidated warranties and risked it breaking?

please dont read this as me arguing, its a genuine level of dumbness from me so i can only comment on my limited knowledge and the apparent specs as they’re worded for dummies like me!

woody2000

no warranty issues with the overclocking, the graphics card on the HP is crap, RAM is cheap if 4GB isn’t enough 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

What I like about this thread is that the OP asks people for help by addressing them as geeks

Computer geeks needed, help me upgrade!

Priceless !, 😆

Cougar

“Geek” isn’t a perjorative term. You’re thinking of “nerd.” I’m a geek and proud of it.

I was going to suggest upgrades, but it seems the subject’s moved on since then. As you were.

philconsequence
    Free Member

back when i was a child geek was an insult…. but is geek now a bad term? i’m a geek with certain subjects, i’ve got friends who are music geeks, production geeks, gaming geeks and so on…. none of them are ashamed of using the term geek as it suggests a level of dedication and understanding within that subject 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

cougar… dont hold back from suggesting upgrades 🙂 its still very much an option, one that mrsconsequence would be happier witnessing than me buying a whole new unit and moving more stuff into the loft!

philconsequence
    Free Member

apologies to anyone i did offend by using the term geek, i genuinely didnt think it would cause offence as so many people i know use the term as a positive.

Solo
    Free Member

Just to be clear, I’m not having a go, and yes, in certain circles the word geek has come a fair way into the realms of acceptability, etc.

I was just amused at the title.

I’m liking the IT-cat pics too, more please.

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Computer geeks needed, help me upgrade!’ is closed to new replies.