Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Compressors
  • roadrunner4
    Free Member

Anyone got any advice or experience of a cheap compressor for inflating tubeless tyres.
    I have Stans rims and have big problems pumping up the tyres – using non ust tyres.
    Usually have to go down to LBS to get them inflated on thier compressor.
    Thought about using the small CO2 cans, but apparently these can cause the stans latex to go hard.
    Halfords do some compressors, but reluuctant to buy with out trying first as it needs to be able to give a big air volume very quickly to pop the side walls on to the rim.
    Lidls did one last year, but they were all sold out by the evening.
    Do the car 12v mini compressors give enough air volume to work as these are nice and small to store and would be really convenient to take in the car to races.

Cheers for any comments.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The best thing is to find a combination of tyre/rim that goes up easily – they do exist. Having said that I did invest in a cheap s/h compressor off Ebay which does make life easier getting the tyre to seat.

The 12v electric ones won’t do the job – they don’t deliver the air fast enough.

Make sure you are using plenty of almost neat washing up liquid around the bead to help seating – and making sure the well in the rim doesn’t allow the beads to sit down into it to easily – build it up with tape/foam tape if necessary.

Finally I would say that it’s a high risk strategy relying on being able to change tubeless tyres at the races – either get a spare wheelset/tyres or just run one set of tyres, set up in the workshop beforehand.

convert

I have a massive compressor at work for spraying and recently bought it a tyre inflation tool for car(schradar) tyres. Has anyone found an actual presta inflation tool for pumping bike tyres or do you use an adapter of some sort on a normal car jobbie?

andyl
    Free Member

How about using your spare wheel as a reservoir (pumped up by a normal 12V tyre compressor)? Or do you need pressures over 40psi?

As for presta valves – yeah you will probably need an adapter. The screw on ones are cheap as chips.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thought about using the small CO2 cans, but apparently these can cause the stans latex to go hard.

They work perfectly for me. Use CO2 then ride for two years without issue.

Do the car 12v mini compressors give enough air volume to work

Not even remotely. You’ll stand there feeling like an idiot as it wheezes ineffectually at your tyre, then probably laugh a lot as it’s so ridiculous. I did 🙂

Dunno about air compressors – like I say I’ve had great results with CO2 but that’s inflating to 30psi in like three seconds – dunno if a compressor can match that.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I just bought a car one from screwfix. Cut the head off and fitted a brass pretax chuck with a jubilee clip.

Use it on a 25 litre, 1.5 HP compressor.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

They work perfectly for me. Use CO2 then ride for two years without issue.

Do the car 12v mini compressors give enough air volume to work

Not even remotely. You’ll stand there feeling like an idiot as it wheezes ineffectually at your tyre, then probably laugh a lot as it’s so ridiculous. I did

Dunno about air compressors – like I say I’ve had great results with CO2 but that’s inflating to 30psi in like three seconds – dunno if a compressor can match that.

molgrips – which co2 do you use? i only use UST tyres so should be fine im guessing? im struggling with racing ralph ust’s at the mo, cant get them to seat for toffee!

kezzergraves
    Free Member

Can you use an old car tyre at 80 psi?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you could possibly, but……..

‘old tyre’ will it hold 80psi without decapitating you?

If you let the pressure drop it’ll be a PITA to re seat it.

Air flow wont be great through the valve, so you’ll have to remove that, and make soem kind of two headed pump thingy to put pressure into the tyre then straight into the bike tyre, dont know how youd work with this and the 2nd point.

aracer
    Free Member

cookeaa

I have a cheap (45Litre reservoir) Compressor in my garage, it will comfortably go up to 100Psi (can go higher but that’s where I set the cut off) I’ll happily inflate a tubeless tyre from flat very quickly, excellent for getting the tyres inflated and seated, got mine 2nd hand off eBay for ~£40 (most of that was postage I think) useful for other jobs too…

12v tyre inflators will not work, handy for car park emergencies, where you need to inflate a tube sharpish (or even top up a leaky car tyre)…

CO2 again usefull on the trails for speed, you will spank a lot of them if it’s your only way of inflating tyres though, always carry as pump as a back up (Just in case)….

A basic compressor is a very useful bit of “Man space” kit…

roadrunner4
    Free Member

Think I’ll try some CO2 canisters first and look for a compressor on ebay.

z1ppy

RR, Lidl & Aldi have one for around £80 about once a year if you can hang on, they do the job pretty well

an adapter of some sort on a normal car jobbie?

Got a push on adapter with my Lidl compressor but I’d also got one of these stan’s one too, it’s a huge amount better as it actually screws on to the valve.

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips – which co2 do you use?

Er, dunno – it’s all the same stuff 🙂 I think my chuck is SKS but I don’t think it matters.

When using it, make sure that the tyre beads are either side of the valve ie all the CO2 is not pissing out the sides. Empty the cannister as fast as possible (should take like two or three seconds) then swill it around a bit. You might well need to slap a track pump on it sharpish to keep inflating, but by this time the bead should be seated so it should be ok.

As previously stated though, you have to go on a 2 hour ride immediately. Don’t leave it overnight or it’ll go down no matter how much you swill it.

I wasn’t sure about a compressor but then I realised I could use the air hose for all sorts of other jobs, like cleaning dust out of electronic stuff for example.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

A compressor is one of the most useful tools you can buy-great for drying off a chain or bearings after washing, cleaning dusty kit, computers, power tools etc. Will seat a tubeless tyre in seconds with no fuss. Look out for Aldi or Lidl they often sell one with a 25L reservoir along with accessory kits. SJS cycles sell a Presta adaptor which works very well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Compressors’ is closed to new replies.