Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Component weights and pricing.
  • singlespeeddan
    Free Member

My current project is underway and I have been mulling over what parts to hang on my frame. It si not an ultralight frame and will be getting kept for a long time I hope.
    I notice that the more I spend the lighter something gets but it is at least £2 per gram for things like wheels. Do I spend £300 on a wheel set to save 60ish grams over the total weight of the rear wheel where as there is another wheelset at £120?Will I really notice the weight? Do I care?

Also can you please cure my hangover.

Thank you

RealMan
    Free Member

For wheelsets at least, you’re not just paying for the weight. There’s also looks, stiffness, strength, reliability, build quality, speed, aero-ness (if road wheels) etc. etc.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t know if this is going to help or not, kill or cure I suppose.

andyl
    Free Member

Wheels are the place you will notice weight the most.

Get some decent wheels (particularly the rims) and then buy lower spec things like cassete etc to offset the cost.

Current deore is very good but I would probably go SLX for the chainrings over Deore unless Deore now has the nicer ones. Maybe get SLX/XT on things that are less likely to wear out/break – cranks, shifters.

Good deals around on the current SLX brakes too.

tbh I would be happy forgoing expensive hubs like Hope ones for something cheaper and using the money on the rim as this is where weight and strength matters most. It all depends if you want cartridge bearings and the ability to switch to a different type of axle (eg 15mm, 20mm) at a later date. Others may say otherwise but it all depends on what you can afford.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think the same as AndyL, someone on here did a weigh in between XT drivechain kit and SLX kit and there was nothing in it. Don’t buy over expensive finishing kit. Shop around and compare weights, I got a new Syncros stem from Stif Cycles which was 120gms and only £27. I replaced a PG990 bling cassette with loads cheaper SLX for 30gms penalty.

I’ve found lightweight wheels and tyres make a massive difference. neej on here recons he got some around 1300gm wheels for under £300. So, superlight is now possible on a budget. No point in going too light tho if you’re intending jumps and drops or if you’re heavy (or clumsy).

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Wheels are in fact for a road bike though I want non aero, traditional style wheels. Can probably affor either set but have been thinking of a hub dynamo fro the bike in the future. So don’t want to have a nice front wheel lying around doing nothing.

njee20
    Free Member

neej on here recons he got some around 1300gm wheels for under £300. So, superlight is now possible on a budget. No point in going too light tho if you’re intending jumps and drops or if you’re heavy (or clumsy).

Assume that’s me?! 1264g including yellow tape and valves:

A2Z hubs: £120
    Podium MMX rims: £70 each from Wiggle (admittedly discounted, but you could sub in Crests for a c1350g wheelset for less)
    Revolution spokes: £36 from Action Sports
    £296 all in! You just need to be able to build you own wheels…

There’s plenty of brands doing nice light finishing kit for decent money now. Check out Mt Zoom stuff, like KCNC but less gaudy!

On road stuff… Check out Novatech hubs and Alpha 340 rims, or go tubs from Planet X. They’re 20mm rims are stonking value!

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

out of interest njee, how are the A2Z hubs holding up? When i looked into them months ago there wasnt much info on them but a few people hinting they were not too good in UK conditions (seals/bearings not very good).

superstar have some stans crest on their hubs for £220 i think, about 1650g. Not superlight, but tubeless crest rim and reasonable price (seeing as crossrides are now about £180 and 1900g)

njee20
    Free Member

Perfect so far, far exceeded my expectations! They’ve been jetwashed a number of times and are still spinning perfectly, taken them apart a couple of times to check and they’ve been spotless inside still.

Tempted to build another set to replace my Hope Hoops, they feel horrible in comparison!

emanuel
    Free Member

best weight saving-inner tubes,tyres.
    plus what njee said.
    go tubular,cheaper to save weight.more expensive to run.

larrythelathe
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Component weights and pricing.’ is closed to new replies.