Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Compact chainset – can't decide
  • chameleon78
    Free Member

Struggling to decide whether to put a compact chainset on my bike for my first sportive.
    I can ride hillsbut tire quickly and run out of gears so at that point it’s a struggle even though I get up them. Not done much hill climbing just flat training averaging 15-16mph. 39/53 currently upfront and just swapped to 12-27 on the back. Should I go compact or just man up and use my current setup? Or would lighter wheels be a better upgrade?!

ourmaninthenorth

the key is this – if you’re used to finishing long days out in the hills on your current set-up, you’ll be fine. If, however, the ride you’re doing is longer/more hilly than you’re used to, then a compact will definitely help (even with a 27 at the back).

Lightweight wheels do make a difference, but won’t provide the get out of jail that a compact will.

Coleman
    Free Member

I have bikes with double, triple and compacts on. Unless racing I much prefer the compact for general riding/training in hilly areas.

chameleon78
    Free Member

Ourmaninthenorth – I’m used to riding pretty flat and undulating terrain with 2 short steep hills as part of my endurance rides- 3 hrs long. I’m not used to hills though hence my apprehension as I know the ups will take it out of me. Will the 27 cassette get me through?

ourmaninthenorth

27 will help (that’s how I ride a 39 in the Peaks), but it sounds like a compact may do the job better given the terrain you have available to train on.

Remember, it’s not going to hamper your on the flat speed, and will only serve to help tired legs at the end of a long day climbing..!

FWIW, I have both standard and compact chainsets for my decent road bike. Standard for most riding, compact for long and hilly sportives.

clubber
    Free Member

and run out of gears

On that basis, yes, get a compact.

By the sounds of it, you’re unlikely to end up undergeared and there’s nothing worse than climbing a hill when you’re knackered and in too big a gear.

uplink
    Free Member

I do a hilly sportive every year that I need a compact & a 12-27 for it.
    The sods keep the worst climb [url=http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?qryMountainID=7416#profile]Park Rash in the Dales[/url] until the last quarter of the ride

It hurts, big time

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Compact chainset – can't decide’ is closed to new replies.