Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Commuting to Warrington
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I currently live in Didsbury, I might be moving jobs soon to a location near ikea in Warrington. Question is, where would you live with decent riding from your door which is commutable by car to Warrington (45mins about).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ha ha ha….

Commuting normal times? Unless they have magically fixed everything traffic is rubbish round there and can turn really bad at the drop of a hat.

Esme
    Free Member

“Traffic is rubbish round there”
    Well, yes, there will always be challenges when Warrington is boxed in on three sides by the M56, M6 and M62, and the Mersey estuary on the fourth side. Any congestion on the motorways will have knock-on problems, as drivers divert through the town. Then there’s the Manchester Ship Canal, with it’s swing bridges. So of course “traffic is rubbish”.

But the real problem is the volume of traffic. Edward, are you seriously intending to spend 7.5 hours per week commuting, so you can MTB maybe three times per week from your doorstep? Really? 😯

Why not live within easy cycling distance of IKEA? Then you can drive to a wide variety of MTB locations (Rivi, Lakes, Dales, North Wales, etc) when the roads are quieter? Surely that’s a better use of time and money?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Or of course you could just use the Trans Pennine Trail to cycle to Warrington from Didsbury 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep I was a little flippant about it being rubbish… I spent more than 7.5hrs a week sat on those roads.

I spent far too many Friday nights trying to get to North Wales, seemed to take as long to get from Birchwood to Chester than chester to N Wales.

As you say anything that goes on anywhere in the area knocks on and cripples the roads.

edward2000
    Free Member

It’s a sales job so I need to have the car at work. I don’t particularly like the area around Warrington, it’s dull and flat as hell and too close to Liverpool for my liking 😉

samuri
    Free Member

Bolton, Horwich, Adlington, Westhoughton, Pennington, Lowton, Worsely.

I’d say Adlington myself.

Near Ikea you say? Which company?

Cougar

Appleton Thorn / Stockton Heath?

I used to work in Warrington (well, just past it). Coming from East Lancs, the commute was a nightmare. Never again.

samuri
    Free Member

He doesn’t like it in Warrington.

When I drive in from Pennington (very rarely), takes me about 20 minutes in the morning. But then I do leave the house about 7:00. Coming back about 16:30 it’ll never be more than 40 minutes unless something nasty happens.

edward2000
    Free Member

Samurai, it’s a company called zwick. My guess is you haven’t heard of them

samuri
    Free Member

Aah, the worlds leading suppliers of materials test machines.

No. 😉

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I can get into central Warrington for around 09:00 in 30 mins from Chester quite surprising as I expected it to be a nightmare.

Chester’s a great city and you have the road and MTB delights of N Wales on your doorstep

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nah its too hard to get to the M6 and that alone would take you at least 25 minutes fro adlington

IME it is impossible to get from Rivvy area to Warrington in 45 mins – might be ok if you dont want to get there between 8:30-9:30 but the M6 and then the way in to warrington is a lottery IME

Like Cougar never again

samuri
    Free Member

I regularly ride part way in with a guy who lives in upper Adlington. He works in Birchwood, rides it just over an hour, says the drive is about 45 minutes. But he does avoid the motorways and this is early. Goes through Culcheth.

bearnecessities

I’m starting to get some kind of weird affection for the M62.

Through the various seasons, it can be a nice start and end to the day.

Then again, I could just be finally cracking up.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I used to work in Warrington,up at Fearnhead and commuted in from Northwich.. Wasn’t that bad.. 20mins on a good run. Several hours on a bad one.
    Prior to moving down here we lived in Accrington, and to be fair, the M65- M6 wasn’t too bad either,,

It all depends on the Thelwell Viaduct which is currently borked…

lodious
    Free Member

It would be fine to get from Horwich / Adlington if you leave at 6:00am, any later and it won’t be fun. I lived in Horwich and commuted to Runcorn every day, and it’s OK if you start work at 7:00am and leave before 4:45pm or work until 6:30pm.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Commuting to Warrington’ is closed to new replies.