Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Commuting hunger….!
  • chunkypaul
    Free Member

WTF! Anybody else suffer from this raging hunger?

Had a filling breakfast (cereal, two crumpets, tea), 10 mile SS commute on flat canal side paths into Salford Quays, get into office by 8am

It’s now just after 11am and now my office colleagues are complaining about grumbling/roaring noises my stomach is making 🙂 they are calling it Godzilla!

I’ve already had a banana, an apple, and three pints of water…

juan
    Free Member

yup same here

ourkidsam
    Free Member

5k run this morning after two weetabix. Had some eggs about half an hour ago and still can’t wait for lunch time. Back to the water cooler

monkeychild
    Free Member

I will soon have a 28mile round commute so I am fearing for the worse as I eat anything in sight when I have been out for a ditance ride or run.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Get some banana chips loads of energy, last ages and taste great

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t get mega hungry like that. Usually have cereal and a slice of toast before I leave, sometime a banana when I get to work, flapjack mid morning/afternoon and couple of slices of sandwiches at lunch time and drink plenty of water through the day.

Have you been commuting for long?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

nope just started

need to pee now…

Richyb
    Free Member

Porridge

bent_udder
    Free Member

Richy’s right – nice solid brekkie to fill you up. I found it easier to eat after riding in, but this can be expensive. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t get this problem. Bowl of muesli and a mug of coffee, cycle in 11 miles. That’s me until 12-1 ish.

ourmaninthenorth

chunkypaul – the problem isn’t the ride in, it’s what you’ve eaten for breakfast and your mid-morning snack: too much sugar and simple carbs.

RichyB’s and Druid’s advice is best – porridge (preferably made with jumbo oats) or muesli (best of all a Bircher muesli) will give you slower release energy, meaning you don’t get that empty feeling mid morning.

Good on you for riding to work. It’s “grrrreat”, isn’t it..!

JB
    Free Member

Since I started riding to work once a week (80 mile round trip), I’ve been eating myself out of house and home!
    2 slices of toast and tea before I leave, big bowl of muesli when I get there, starving again 11am, lunch at 1, second lunch at 3 etc etc…

chunkypaul
    Free Member

will try a few alternative brekkies then – porridge (i like the huge rolled oats sainsburys do) or maybe a bit of fish

thing is i’m not really that hungry at 6am and have to make myself eat breakfast

alternatively i may skip or at least just have a bannana for breakfast and have a big bowl of museli when i get into the office

druidh
    Free Member

I often have some fruit (banana or pineapple) with my meusli.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Echo re slow release carbs. Not much calories in fruit either, try eating the carbs after the ride.

david_r
    Free Member

Started with a bowl of crunchie nut cornflakes then had a 2 mile swim at 6am this morning, swiftly followed by a Maccie D double sausage(?) n egg burger! on the way into work. Mmmmmmmmm!

Keeping me going just fine until 1pm.

STATO
    Free Member

I’ve already had a banana, an apple, and three pints of water…

RichyB’s and Druid’s advice is best – porridge (preferably made with jumbo oats) or muesli (best of all a Bircher muesli) will give you slower release energy, meaning you don’t get that empty feeling mid morning.

Part of the reason i cycle to work is it allows me to eat as much crap food as i want, sausage sandwhich, choclate bars, crisps etc 😀 Why the hell youd choose to try and stem your hunger with fruit and muesli i cant understand!?!?

slimtubing
    Free Member

yeah definately get hungrier than i used to after a daily 8 mile commute, by 10.30 i could eat my own earwax.

druidh
    Free Member

STATO – Member

Why the hell youd choose to try and stem your hunger with fruit and muesli i cant understand!?!?

Because I happen to like fruit and muesli?

john_l
    Free Member

I don’t bother eating before I set-off (15 miles) it’s too early & I don’t think my body would process it quickly enough to be of any use anyway.

Banana on the train & then toast when I get to the office, sarnies at middayish & then snack every 3 hrs or so on fruit & mueseli type snacks.

ourmaninthenorth

Why the hell youd choose to try and stem your hunger with fruit and muesli i cant understand!?!?

Get thin. Stay thin. Enjoy riding bike more.

alternatively i may skip or at least just have a bannana for breakfast and have a big bowl of museli when i get into the office

Best approach. But, be careful of shop bought muesli – full of sugar. Get a good Bircher muesli recipe and take it with you to work.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Part of the reason i cycle to work is it allows me to eat as much crap food as i want, sausage sandwhich, choclate bars, crisps etc Why the hell youd choose to try and stem your hunger with fruit and muesli i cant understand!?!?

And they say today’s youth aren’t educated in nutrition!

samuri
    Free Member

mine is 28 miles round trip and I really don’t notice that I eat any more than normal. Still have a bacon buttie whether I’ve ridden in or not. I don’t bother eating before leaving, a coffee is all I can take at 5:30.

john_l
    Free Member

how are the cleaners Jon?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Gut motility innit? If I eat brekkie, I feel terrible on the bike and get ravenously hungry by about 10am. I usually don’t bother with breakfast, other than a cup of tea first thing, then stick to black coffee by the pint until 12.30-1pm, by which time I’m hungry again.

Just don’t wake the beast 😉

maxray
    Free Member

If yuo eat a bit more protein when you get to work it will tell your brain your not hungry. There was a prog about it a few days ago.

maxray
    Free Member

If yuo eat a bit more protein when you get to work it will tell your brain your not hungry. There was a prog about it a few days ago.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

KFC breakfast bucket?

That sounds a definate for waking the beast 😉

STATO
    Free Member

Get thin. Stay thin. Enjoy riding bike more.

Already thin, stay thin by burning off any extra fat/calories i eat by cycling. You dont need to eat just muesli to manage that (side note: i do eat muesli some mornings, just it doesnt stave off hunger the way a good sausage and bacon sarnie does, mmmmm bacon, with the fat still on yum!)

And they say today’s youth aren’t educated in nutrition!

Im lucky, im in the generation that left school before ‘healthy eating’ was important, but im not so old that my diet is dictated by what my doctor prescribes ;0)

mr_stru

I was like this till I started on the 2nd breakfast when I got to work. Museli before I leave and then porridge when I get to work. Usual lunch and then torq bar a bit before I head home. This is for a 35-40 mile round trip.

You might want to consider having a bit more food the night before as well as I’ve found that makes a difference too.

Oh, and drink water as you need that to absorb the carbs properly.

Drapoon
    Free Member

I suffrered a serious sugar crash yesterday, went all weak & struggled to grab a banana that was easily located in my rucksack – seemed to take an age. That seemed to sort me out, should I carry some gels with me or nana just as good?

Was scary stuff!

I have porridge before setting off in the morning, keeps hunger locked till lunchtime

40 mile round trip 4 days a week

Olly
    Free Member

why cure the problem when the cure for the symptom is a 3kg box of broken biscuits?

NOM NOM NOM

keavo
    Free Member

eat nothing, ride 8 mile to work at 6.30am. have a protien rich breakfast about 8-9am. i find eggs, beans, tuna, chicken, turkey etc. fills you up for longer and stops me picking at stuff all day.

cp

how little do you folks eat? My commute is about 2 miles.. and the day goes something like:-

brek – BIG bowl of cereal/muesli, toast, OJ
    arrive at work – honey buttie or similar, brew
    some random point in the morning – bag of crisps, banana, pint of milk (semi or full), muesli bar
    lunch – couple of rolls or similar amount of pasta, with meat & salad, biscuits or similar, maybe some carrots and humous
    afternoon – couple of teacakes
    get home – snack if no ride, or bowl of cereal pre-ride
    dinner – huge amount of food!
    evening – snacks of toast or similar…

next day, repeat. I’m going to have to increase my intake now I’m starting to get really fit for a stupid big race i’ve entered!!!!!

woffle
    Free Member

another fan of porridge here – I used to get the commuting-munchies really badly and it drives me up the wall. The following works for me:

I’m out the door and it’s 20 miles on an empty stomach then maybe a small protein shake at the station, once I’m in the office couple of pints of water will see me through until 8ish and then large bowl of porridge, add the occasional handful of sultanas and teaspoon of honey. That’ll generally do me until 12ish when it’s lunchtime which is usually scrambled eggs / beans on toast etc. The key thing I’ve found is plenty of water throughout the day.

I’ve been doing the ride to and from work for about a year now and the hunger can still send me crazy. It’s hard not to pig out / snack throughout the day and then justify it because of the miles I’m putting in although that way self-delusion lies…

Olly
    Free Member

cp, I get used to what I eat.
    your metobolism will speed up and slow down to some extent to cope with the difference, hunger is a stretched stomach being empty.

if your hungry, and can hack it for half an hour, it will go away.

i generally eat a pastie for lunch, and a light dinner in the evening (yesterday was a slice of quiche and some salad)
    i dont really fund i get very hungry, unless ive eaten a lot recently.

having said that, if i wake up hungry (as happens from time to time) dont eat, and let it go away, and then go for a drive, i certainly feel the difference.
    lack of concentration and slow reactions, all of which are scary at times, so i dont go driving without eating :s

cp

if your hungry, and can hack it for half an hour, it will go away.

it does. then i feel crap later on, or when i do exercise…….!! as per your driving 😉

takisawa2

I struggled on the way home last night & its only 7.5 miles, albeit half of it towing the two boys in the trailer. I knew I was going to suffer. I felt a bit shakey & empty when I set off from work. Normally scoff a banana 15 mins before leaving. Managed to get home but the last hill nearly had me pushing. Amazing how it soon passes though when something sugary hits the stomach.
    Bananas are your friend in the morning, pre-commute. They break down more slowly. Banana & weetabix for me. Dont get silly hungry at work any more, but my commute is fairly flat. Always pack a salad for lunch, not a big fan of it usually but bulked up with grapes, beetroot, sweetcorn I find it fills me up well & lasts well. Crisps & sarnies just break down too quickly. Must pack a choccie bar for next time I feel shakey.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

this is how i get on the commute home, feel really slow and almost light headed by the end – with crap reactions, tired arms etc.

will end up in the canal one day 😮

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Commuting hunger….!’ is closed to new replies.