Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Commuting Advice ?
  • sax_widby
    Free Member

Hi,

I've been commuting to Rotherham from Crookes, Sheffield everyday. I ride on a Merlin Malt with nobblies and SPDs. The journey there is fine, all flat and DH. However, the journey back is difficult.

Every monday tues and fri i push myself to to beat personal bests, taking it easy on weds and thurs. However, my right knee hurts near end of the week.

Any ideas on how i can make my knee stronger, to cope with the commute? Besides changing bike (roadbike is taking a while to rebuild!)…

I'd like to increase muscle mass around that area and strengthen ligaments if possible, but tbh i dunno how!

any help would be greatly appreciated,
    rich

sax_widby
    Free Member

btw, i bust up my knee in a rugby match a few years ago, i was on crutches for 3 months. Hence low muscle mass! Result = skinny, nobbly knee!

spacecadett
    Free Member

Hi Rich,
    Do you stretch after each ride? If not, I would strongly advise you to do so. If you have tight muscles, the knee cap can be pulled to one side during excersise causing pain. 5 minutes of stretching after your ride will really help.

soobalias
    Free Member

do something that isnt cycling to strengthen the legs.

run, squats pretty much anything that will use the muscles differently.

glenp
    Free Member

Check your bike set-up – saddle height just-so and cleat angles perfect. Road riding will highlight mistakes because you don't move around much.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Commuting Advice ?’ is closed to new replies.