Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Commuters – what "be seen" helmet light?
  • ourmaninthenorth

As title.

My commute is both urban and rural (as in unlit). The Lumi LED is great on the bars now the light has gone, but I’d like something on the lid to “point” at drivers.

I did consider a Joystick, but talked myself out of needing so much power.

So, suggestions? Needs to be lightweight and bright enough to catch attention.

Gary_M
    Free Member

couple of cheap little flashy things from tesco – 2 front/1 rear works for my helmet.

ourmaninthenorth

I use one of those Tesco red ones on the back of my lid.

Do you think similar up front will be enough beyond the Lumi?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m really impressed with my Light & Motion Vis 360, it’s not cheap but there’s a lot of thought gone into the design. The only problem I’ve found so far (apart from the price) is the inability to turn off the back light when riding in a group offroad (but I suppose it’s sold as a commuting light so that’s not really what it’s designed for).

miketually
    Free Member

I use to have one of the Knog lights on my helmet. Just a single LED, but meant I was a bit more visible.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well thats hard to say really – it works well for me and they are bright wee lights. I have the tesco white one on each side of my lid and a red on the back.

ourmaninthenorth

Dibbs – £150 RRP retail? Might as well by a Joystick for that and use it as a helmet light for MTB night riding…!

Think I’ll get some cheapo twinklies and see how I get on.

ourmaninthenorth

Well thats hard to say really – it works well for me and they are bright wee lights. I have the tesco white one on each side of my lid and a red on the back.

Fair point.

Like the idea of going on the side, as that means you get some side on visibility too. Good thinking.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I find a light on each fork leg works well too, yeh I look like a christmas tree but it’s dark and I need to be seen.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

I have a Joystick but use a Cateye EL410 on the commute helmet. As you said, just need it to be seen rather than blind people.

ourmaninthenorth

I find a light on each fork leg works well too, yeh I look like a christmas tree but it’s dark and I need to be seen.

Going to do that too. Currently feeling a bit vulnerable, in spite of Lumi up front, handgrenade at the back and flashy reflective ankle and wrist bands.

Might also find a clip on rear light to hang off the pocket on the rucsac cover (Hump).

Andy – looks interesting. Is it light enough?

jhw
    Free Member

black baseball cap?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Dibbs – £150 RRP retail?

Yep, I said it wasn’t cheap, 😀 but it is very good, Amber side repeaters on the front and rear lamps and USB charging, so when I get to work they charge my lights for me 😉

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Andy – looks interesting. Is it light enough?

Yep, light as in weighs very little – certainly less than a joystick 🙂

.. easily bright enough as in visible from 1 mile away (flashing or highest steady setting) nice narrow beam that’s good for pointing at people without blinding them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Commuters – what "be seen" helmet light?’ is closed to new replies.