Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Commencal Meta. Buying used, which model year to avoid ?
  • pinkyponk
    Free Member

Possibly looking at a used meta, i have read about some quality issues on some frames. Looking for advice on avoiding the bad batch and what to look for in second hand frames.
    thanks in advance

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother tbh. mine was supposedly not in the ‘bad batch’ yet when the headtube weld cracked after 2 very sedentary years use they were quick to pull the ‘only 2 years warranty mate’ card and wouldn’t do anything to help.

They’d not get another penny of my cash despite being an absolute blast to ride. on the flip side I bought an Anthem X to replace it and it’s a far nicer bike to ride so I guess I benefited in the long run even if it did hit me in the wallet.

Crag
    Free Member

Avoid 2007/08/09’s – all had poor failure rates.
    2010 onwards much better but I’d be very wary about buying a Commencal with no warranty.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Avoid 2008, 2009 and maybe 2007. As above 2010 onwards they changed factory (I think) and are supposedly better.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Avoid 2007/08/09’s – all had poor failure rates.
    2010 onwards much better but I’d be very wary about buying a Commencal with no warranty.

Agreed, …with 2009 being peak year for failures IIRC.
    Also some reports that the Small & Medium frames don’t appear to suffer failure as much as the Large and XL. Possibly due to different configuration of shock upper mount on those sizes.

Personally, broke a 2009 L at the seat tube/TT.
    Replaced with a 2010 XL which is certainly tidier around the welds and has a thicker guaged seat tube (now tapers to seat clamp).

As well as the redesigned frame coming in 2010, I believe they were also manufactured in a different factory too.

Appears that 2010 was a serious attempt to recover reputation and consequently MUCH better quality.

mckeown
    Free Member

As well as the redesigned frame coming in 2010, I believe they were also manufactured in a different factory too.

Appears that 2010 was a serious attempt to recover reputation and consequently MUCH better quality.

This man speaks the truth

kaesae
    Free Member

Buy a reign or a trance, then you have no worries about the build quality.

mckeown
    Free Member

To be honest the 2010 commies are very reliable and no failures on the 2011 stuff. I should know we sold them for six years! If you are buying one second hand make sure that you have a proof of purchase from the owner and check with the dealer that they bought it off that they will honour the warranty (if still in warranty).

MarkyG82

I have an 07 bought last year (2nd hand). Not gone crazy in it Alps style but what I have done hasnt had any effect yet.

Its a medium and im fairly light.

Raindog
    Free Member

I’ve just sold a large 08, no problems at all and I’m far from light. I do ride like a jessy though 🙂

phil29
    Free Member

2010. Superb A.M. Bike.

JohnnyPanic

I should know we sold them for six years

Past Tense ?

iain1775
    Free Member

I’d wait and save up for a 2012 meta 6 replacement, it’s gonna be good 😉

JohnnyPanic

But you aren’t gonna show us are you… 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Meta. Buying used, which model year to avoid ?’ is closed to new replies.