Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cold weather heavier weight merino kit – HELP
  • Davina
    Free Member

Hi

As there appears yet more "severe" weather on the way, I am in the process of sourcing a mid weight merino top to help with the merino layering.

I've not come across that many mid layer tops, but wondered if anyone had any experience with this top, or with Lab-Gear merino kit in general?

[/url]

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter 🙂

montylikesbeer

Looks very good for the price

Below is worth a look as its a little lighter

chocky fish

or this

chocky fish 2

slimtubing
    Free Member

Icebreaker 360 weight, warmer than fleece, stylier by far and odour proof.
    got one 4 years back it comes out every winter and still looks the biz

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicyclo

IceBreaker is the answer. Layer up

crikey
    Free Member

I'm the anti-merino fanboy; I think it performs less well than synthetics because it doesn't wick as well and stays wetter longer. I think more layers will mean you getting wetter…

…and yes, I've got merino baselayers…

woodsman
    Free Member

Swobo long sleeved top is heavier wieght merino – superb quality item. I bought mine fron Stif the sole uk importer. I believe they are on offer at the moment too, still not cheap though, but they are excellent IMO.

Davina
    Free Member

Hi All

Thanks for your advice regarding the heavier weight merino kit. I had a look at various Icebreaker/Swobo options, but decided to take a punt on the Lab-Gear top.

I spotted that some of the mid weight tops are available as shipping freepost from the UK (as opposed to shipping from Australia like most of their kit seems to), so with a little luck I might have it for the weekend

🙂

I'll report back!!!

Thanks again

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I think you're right crikey, but merino is warmer than synthetics, either wet or dry and it doesn't stink after 4 hours or hold the nasty odour, even after washing.

Only the most expensive synthetics can match that kind of performance, and for that price, you may as well get merino.

I take warm over dry any day.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

The Rapha crew neck base layer is thicker than their normal merino offering, I've just bought one and it does the job very well.

jimmy

From experience, I'd always go for lightweight merino as a base layer and then stick a micro fleece over the top and layer from there. Heavyweight merino gets bogged down with sweat and isn't pleasant.

nickc

Merino is a marketing dept's wet dream.

Enjoy

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Merino is a marketing dept's wet dream.

the anti pong factor and warmth when wet are hard to beat. I have synthetic tops which have stunk the room out fresh from the washing machine, yet my merino baselayers can go all winter unwashed and still smell fine – though they wash normally in the machine too without any special treatment. But falling full length in a river in December and being warm 2 minutes later despite being soaked from head to foot was the decider for me 🙂

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

In the cold weather (between -12 and -1) I have mostly been wearing an icebreaker merino baselayer topped with a heavy weight 100% wool roll neck jumper a bit like this one.

Its warm enough to wear without shell layer on top so it is breathable as you could ever want.

Big plus point is you get to look like a fisherman

scottishbadger
    Free Member

I'll second the anti-pong. My Hellys reek to a point where the wife won't let me in the door.

DezB
    Free Member

Davina, can't go wrong with Lab-Gear, nice people, good service, great quality gear.

As for Merino, I got an Icebreaker very cheap off the classifieds and I'd wear it all the time if I could. Its so good at regulating temperature, always comfortable. (and for £15 🙂 )

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Jimmy makes a very good point.

I should clarify that I only have one mid merino layer and its mostly for casual wear. These days I wouldn't wear anything but merino for a base layer though.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Smartwool is fantastic – we have always had good feedback about it and I've tested it alongside Icebreaker and Craft baselayers. Smartwool was preferred for colder weather (they do a lightweight and midweight) and the Craft, while synthetic, was also deeply impressive. Icebreaker was good but didn't have it for me, plus they're generally more expensive.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Webtogs often do good internet deals for icebreaker stuff.

cxi
    Free Member

Another vote for Smartwool kit being ace, especially when it's half price via Cotswolds Outdoor.

Worth every penny just for the lack-of-niffyness factor.

Spud

Agree about Lab Gear, I have lots of their kit. All great and well made. My wife bought be the mid-merino for Christmas and it's excellent over a thin layer for warmth.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Also checkout ground effect's Baked Alaska

Really good quality, and toasty warm 😀

fontmoss
    Free Member

i didnt realise merino love was so split, i much prefer my merino kit for both cold and warm. i sweat like a monster and never found a synthetic top that worked that well, coupled with the lack of smell ( i wore my thin merino wool tee constantly in India) make it a total winner for me but i guess for other folks its not so clear cut.

this hasnt answered your question in any way. 🙁

clareymorris

Even on the coldest day/enight on the bike, a midwight merino and outerlayer is anough for me (as long as I am on the move of course) – I must overheat a bit becuse I think the heaviest Icebreakers would be too warm for me – great for walking though I would imagine!

eviljoe
    Free Member

Just back from 3 hours surfing. Wore merino socks under my boots. Feet wet, but toes actually WARM. In the sea, in January. Believe the hype.

myheadsashed

Ulfrotte
    Dale of Norway

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cold weather heavier weight merino kit – HELP’ is closed to new replies.