• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • coke teeth
  • roper
    Free Member

On another thread the story of coke dissolving a tooth in a few days came up. I thought it was a myth and vaguely remember doing trying it and the tooth just got manky.
    I’m sure there are some science teachers/dentists on here who could tell us but I had some teeth knocking about doing nothing so…

I think they are from a cat

teeth

teeth

teeth

Jar

coke

teeth, jar, coke

teeth, jar, coke

RealMan
    Free Member

I had some teeth knocking about doing nothing so…

Don’t want to ask really.

How long are you going to leave them?

yunki
    Free Member

we did it at primary school.. the teeth dissolved completely eventually..

I can’t remember if it took days or weeks or months..

roper
    Free Member

I think they are supposed to dissolve in a couple of days but I can wait.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*cancels plans, turns off phone, orders in supermarket delivery, holds breath*

I approve of this immensely, you can have an honorary doctorate at mine and DrRSwanks research facility for this experiment alone.

WTF
    Free Member

IIRC Mythbusters did this and nothing ,or not very much ,happened.

dan1980
    Free Member

They covered this on QI a while ago (Therefore it must be true) Coke will dissolve teeth eventually, but in real life, when you have a drink, it only washes over, then gets washed away by saliva, so doesn’t do much damage.

It’s mentioned on Snopes too.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*Wonders if it’s a myth about cats and microwaves…*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*sees neighbour’s cat in the back garden…*

MrNutt
    Free Member

/edge of seat!

Mr_C
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the point of this experiment is – I’ve never seen a cat drink Coke.

If you just want rid of the teeth could you not put them under your pillow tonight? That way you get the teeth taken away and cash as well. Win win, innit.

roper
    Free Member

Now that NASA are looking to modernise space exploration I think it’s this kind of experiment which might provide that vital clue they have been looking for.

Though to be honest, not much has happened so far.

yunki
    Free Member

novocaine for the soul…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Soft drinks contribute to rotting teeth mainly because the refined carbohydrates (sugars) they contain are so difficult for the body to metabolise that it begins to draw on mineral reserves in bones/teeth. It’s unlikely to happen just by drinking soft drinks, though; it’s indicative of a generally poor diet which is high in refined carbs (white flour, white rice and refined sugars – including sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup).

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXAL94M00tI[/video]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘coke teeth’ is closed to new replies.