Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Coffee Experts recommend me a bean to cup coffee machine
  • robh

As per title, and what’s it going to cost for something decent that makes a decent drink?

donsimon
    Free Member

About 15 quid from a shop or 50 quid from a lifestyle shop.

Excellent coffee every time.

cranberry
    Free Member
    rossi46
    Free Member

Senseo

Ok its not bean to cup, but i like mine and it’ll make Cappuchino or espresso. And you can buy the pods in all supermarkets for about £2.99.
    Or Lidls do their own for £1.50- and theyre nice!

Think it’s about £50 for the machine…..

rossi46
    Free Member

DeLonghi

Or if i could afford one- id have one of these.

Bloody expensive are these bean to cup jobbies 😯

rossi46
    Free Member

Id agree with Don Simon….. 😀

ericemel
    Free Member

I have a gaggia digital syncro – its bloody awesome and has been flawless daily for 5 years now, so I would have to recommend one!

Haven’t tried others, but I am sure they are available.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don simon’s suggestion, although they’re even less off ebay, I got a 2 shot (3oz) one in stainless steel as the aluminium ones corrode and make the coffe taste funny.

That and a cheep grinder, I’ve a delongi one that looks like a small blender. Just grind enough beans (from the freezer) to last a day or two. Burr grinders might be better but they cost more.

AdamW
    Free Member

So what are these pod things like for coffee?

I sort of like the idea of senseo as you can compost the pods and get a doodad to replace them so you can use your own coffee. But if the pods are crap or the overall cup is poo then I’d avoid. Don’t they only come with Dowe Egberts stuff?

The other ones – tassimo – seem to be metal pods and while that may be more fresher due to sealing I keep thinking of throwing out bits of metal.

I like a good coffee. He Who Must Be Obeyed most probably won’t let me have one anyhow.

TooTall
    Free Member

the aluminium ones corrode and make the coffe taste funny.

What are you doing to them? Never clean them. I had friends in Italy who had their alu ones for years with no problems.

a cheep grinder, I’ve a delongi one that looks like a small blender.

You are killing all that effort you put in to coffee. Like the difference between hedge topiary to a stump grinder. Pay for a burr grinder you cheapskate.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gaggia Brera. Very happy with it think it cost about £600.

Avoid anything by Krups, I had three bean to cup coffee makers by them and all broke.

40mpg

I had a tassimo. Had constant problems with the barcode reader which in the end failed completely. Also limited choice of coffee. Works out bloody expensive when you factor in the cost of the machine and the pods arent cheap (they are plastic pods with a foil cover btw).

I’ve now gone to a alu stove-top pot which I picked up in Italy for 6 euros (3-cup), and enjoying not only the best coffee yet but the whole process of making it – that little bit of effort makes me appreciate a decent cup even more.

bruneep

Jura ENA 5

Fantastic machine

alba23
    Free Member

rossi46 – Member
    DeLonghi

Or if i could afford one- id have one of these.

Bloody expensive are these bean to cup jobbies.

We have one of these used every day for about two years.After a few £150 to £250 machines this is by far the best we have had. The reviews were good also.
    Its got a plastic front not a metal one so looks cheap when compared to others that cost over £500.
    Cant remember where we bought it from but it was about £300 .Easy to clean and tells you when it needs de scalling if you live down south.

chaos

the aluminium ones corrode and make the coffe taste funny.

What are you doing to them? Never clean them. I had friends in Italy who had their alu ones for years with no problems.

Had this myself and am fairly sure it was the dishwasher that did it.

chaos
    Stoner
    Free Member

what are you doing putting your stove-top pot in the dishwasher?

rinse and drain.

You want the coffee oils to impregnate it and condition it, like you would a wok. Detergent strips the oils (and the finish) off.

Dont leave it wet otherwise you’ll get asluminium oxide in the water cannister.

If you see spots of white, give it a quick rinse and scrub with your washing up brush.

craigxxl
    Free Member

+ Gaggia Titanium. Ours hasn’t missed a beat since we got it and is now coming up to 3000 coffees produced.

chaos

I know, I know. Found out too late!

I’ve tried making multiple sacrificial brews to re-impregnate it as you suggest but I think it’s too far gone unfortunately.

To be honest I stick to tea now with proper coffee being a treat when I go out somewhere. But there again, the wife did ask what I wanted for Christmas.

Perhaps a burr grinder / Steel Bialetti combination?

robh

Think stove top and grinder it is then.

Thanks for the advice.

TooTall
    Free Member

Keep an eye on FleaBay – I got my Gaggia Classic there for not much money. People keep buying them, trying them, not getting on with them, putting them in cupboards then flogging them at a loss on FleaBay.

mattbee

My wife bought me one of these:
    Coffe heaven

as an anniversary present. I bought her a necklace. I got the better half of the deal, it’s worth almost as much as my car! It does make brilliant coffee though. Comes on half an hour before I get up, mug warming on top, stumble into kitchen and stick mug under nozzle, press button and pre-programmed amount and strength of my favourite beans ground to my preferred coarseness and temperature emerges. Wouldn’t be without it, although I’m sure if she’d have bought me a cheaper one I’d still be happy.

donsimon
    Free Member

robh – Member

Think stove top and grinder it is then.

Thanks for the advice.
    Yay, a victory for common sense. 😀

lookmanohands
    Free Member

How about a chemex, the best coffee by a mile!

singlespeedstu

Anyone got a Bialetti Brikka?

Are they worth the extra over a standard Mokka version?

forge197
    Free Member

Bruneep +1 ENA 5 is ace

Used hasbean first time this week beans in 24hours and nice flavour too got a selection

crazy-legs

I’d love one of those DeLonghi machines. Aamzon were doing them cheap* a while ago, now they keep sending me emails about them cos I was browsing them so much.

*cheap is a relative term, they were reduced from £1200 to about £800. 😯

dti

presso and a grinder – cheap and simple

iDave
    Free Member

I had of a Gaggia titanium on loan for a while (thanks BigJohn) and it was really fantastic, but I couldn’t justify the cost of buying one new.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Another Gaggia Titanium owner here. My favourite kitchen gadget

So far mine has made 6576 cups! So that’s about 6p per cup based on the one above. Bargain.

andyl
    Free Member

Can’t remember how many they said we got out of one of these Juras before it needed a service. Was either 10,000 or 100,000 (over 18 months in work) but it has been very good:

http://www.uk.jura.com/home_pacificcoffee_x/products_home_use/s_line/impressa_s9_ot-cappuccino.htm

bruneep

forge197 – Member
    Bruneep +1 ENA 5 is ace

Used hasbean first time this week beans in 24hours and nice flavour too got a selection

My current fav is the blue sumarta bean. From Mcbeans in Aberdeen

Frankers
    Free Member

I have a Jura machine at work, it’s now around 10years old and still going strong

Discontinued model but if/when it packs up I’ll get another Jura

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Coffee Experts recommend me a bean to cup coffee machine’ is closed to new replies.