Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Coed Y Brenin – Which Routes?
  • gizzardman
    Free Member

I’m of to Coed y Brenin in April for 3 days and wanted a bit of advice as to which trails to do? (bearing in mind we have 3 hours travelling on first and last day) I wanted to do Penmachno on the last day so which of the brenin trials would you do, MBR, Tarw, Beast, Dragons???

Advice welcome, thanks.

emac65
    Free Member

MBR & Tarw are the best two imo,both about 12 mile & nice when put together……

loddrik
    Free Member

Can’t disagree with that, though the dragons back is also good, sure there is a bit of fireroad but there are some good technical sections, and I love and have to ride ‘flightpath’ no matter which trail I ride..

gizzardman
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. BTW Whats ‘Flightpath’ is ir part of a trail?

emac65
    Free Member

Yes,I think it’s on Dragons & the Beast.

andylux
    Free Member

Hey Giz,

Check out:
    http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Centres/Coed_y_Brenin/Coed_y_Brenin.aspx

This is a good sight for info and trail maps.

Have you ridden in CYB and North Wales before?

If you have not I would strongly reccomend warming up on the first day at the Marin Trail in Betsy / Gwydr forest and/or at Penmachno.
    This is due to these being more flowing and less technical than the trails at CYB.

Please don’t get me wrong, I love the trals at CYB, my favourite route is to ride the Temtiwr (Green S’post) trail and then roll straight into the Tarw (Orange S’post) trail. The Temtiwr is a nice warm up with some great rocky singletrack that prepares you nicely for the old Red Bull, now Tarw trail. All the trails at CYB are great however the beast can seem bit of a fire road fest depending on what you’re used too etc.
    All of the trails at CYB have particularly rocky sections in places.

The Marin and Penmachno are very enjoyable aswell, it is just that the most technical sections of these trails aren’t quite so intimidating. The Marin does have some long fireroad climbs which can be a slog but the views of Snowdon etc more than makes up for it!!

I reccomend the hostel at Trawsfynnd if you’re looking for digs.

Hope this helps, If I have pitched my comments at the wrong level and you are a National Points Series DHer I apologise in advance!!

Enjoy!!

andylux
    Free Member

Oh yes and Flightpath is on the Tarw trail which ROCKS!!

YEOUCH!!!

richtea
    Free Member

You’re there for 3 days – do them all… three times!

gizzardman
    Free Member

Thanks for the input Andylux. I’ve never ridden in Wales before and am definatly not a DH’er Champion!
    The general opinion seems to be that Dragons Back is prefered over the Beast, what do you think?

gizzardman
    Free Member
    martyntr
    Free Member

Tarw and the dragons back. But if doing the dragon’s back theres a short cut to the top of the adams family sections, which even though rather steep, saves you a “out and back” fireroad (for the most part) loop which is a waste of time..

Tarw is my personal fave as it has lots of “big” features and when you’ve finished is you get a real sense of having a work out…. what I mean to say is that you ache all over..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Whatever happens just make sure you pronounce it right, or you’ll get a right kicking

james
    Free Member

Tarw (over the road) on the shorter day with the travelling
    The Beast (vast majority of mbr and dragons back) on the middle (long) day

As martyntr said, after the cafe part way round on dragons back/the beast, take the steep road climb upto the next bit of singletrack (its pretty obvious on the trail map)

Definetly do penmachno though. Ideally loop 2 as well as loop 1, but if you’re really pushed for time, then just loop 1
    (loop 2 stems of loop 1 part way round)

OrangeRetro
    Free Member

MBR and Dragons Back are my favorite, unfortunate really as they both share a few sections. I wasn’t that impressed with Tarw.. it seems to have a few fire road descents which always feel like a waste of a climb! The best section is definitely Uncle Fester on Dragons Back, just be ready for a lot of climbing to get there. I’ve never ridden the Beast… although I may as well have as I believe it is just MBR and Dragons Back stuck together.

andylux
    Free Member

Hi Giz,

Those digs look good, great find!!, You will be staying pretty much half way round the beast near to the start of the adams family sections, gomez, morticia etc. These sections are very good but can be very challenging depending on your level of experience/skill.

MBR then straight into the Tarw is my personal fave. I have ridden the dragons back and beast many times too, its just that i favour the mbr & Tarw although they are all very good.

You mention you haven’t been to wales before, it is awesome and the beauty of the N Wales trail centres is greater than the southern centres IMO although I do prefer the southern trails which I’m now riding more often.

Aswell as the Marin and Penmachno trails further North there is also the Cli-machx trail at Machlyneth (Spelling?!?!?!?) which is about half an hour south. This trail is also vey good with one of the longest sections of DH singletrack in the area, overall the trail is about 20km long. I don’t know the route you will be travelling from.
    Some where else which is a good intermediate centre is Llangdegla (again apologies for gash spelling)near wrexham which is a good warm up prior to CYB.

My first trip to any Welsh trails involved a very wet October weekend with my more experienced mates. we rode the Marin trail on the first day which I loved and finished with only a few light scratches.

The second day we rode at CYB. We started the Redbull trail (now Tarw) which i managed to bin it big style on snap crackle and pop. Then rode the MBR which i ended up dislocating my finger falling off on.

These crashes were all due to my lack of skill and using the front brake too much on my old hardtail Caldera. Speed is your friend and remember to keep your weight well back over the saddle whilst descending with your feet in the attack position with your heels down (less likely to go over the bars).

Alot of the TTF’s (Technical Trail Features) at CYB involve rock steps and drop offs, some you can roll over (front wheel first) others you need to properly drop off of. Its worth practicing these before you go so you are confident on the day.

I hope this doesn’t read to patronisingly (spelling again whoops). I just love our hobby and want others to get the most out of it too!!!

bomberman
    Free Member

when we went we did dragon’s back on day 1 and tarw on day 2. both phsically and technically quite demanding with dragons back being the longer of the two routes. I’d definitely do both again. if its icy remember not to brake on the wooden bridges because theyre very very slippery and don’t have chicken wire on. i made this mistake and ended up face-planting at speed 🙁

I_Ache
    Free Member

We went to CyB on sunday night camped out and then did the MBR yesterday should really have done the short 1h trail as a wind down.

I have never been to wales riding before and to be hones im a bit crap riding up too so I was a little worried. However I really wanted to get up as much as possible without resorting to pushing like I normally do. I only pushed up two short bits that really were too much for me. I found the DHs really good and could see myself going again just for them so rocky but fast and flowing if a little scary at times. I was really happy with myself for making it up virtually all the climbs and it has changed my attitude to climbing to be honest.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Coed Y Brenin – Which Routes?’ is closed to new replies.