Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Coed-Y Brenin conditions ????
  • peasnotwar
    Free Member

Anyone know what the conditions are like at the moment?
    I’m due up there for a few days from tomorrow (travel permitting)… is it all rideable and is access to the carpark ok?

iolo
    Free Member

I live 5 minutes away. We’ve had bloody harsh conditions here with heavy snow and a hard frost.
    I wouldn’t bother going anywhere near there as the trails will be icy and no fun at all.

peasnotwar
    Free Member

Oh bugger!…..

flippinheckler
    Free Member

CYB visitor centre has been closed due to the Snow since 17/12/10 so its unlikely to open until there is a major thaw.

stayhigh

Double bugger 😮 We’re going up to a cottage near Corwen on thursday for new year and was going to go down there. Would Penchmacno/Gwydyr trail be the same?

steveh

I asked about north wales trail centres christmas eve, last information I got from christmas day was from a friend who said that it’d been up to 18″ at the high points and not been warm enough to melt since. There is rain forecast in north wales tomorrow but who knows what will actually happen.

I’ve been to llandegla today and it’s open for business but hard going out when not under the tree cover. Around 50% slower than normal on both blue and red trails.

rhid

I tried to ride Nant yr Arian today and gave up as it was deep snow and ice.

I reckon both the Marin and Penmachno would be in a far worse state. Plus there is a chance of more snow tonight so I don’t know how fun riding in it would be!

depth-junkie
    Free Member

Also went to Lladegla today as it is local for me, we were planning on going over to CYB or Penmachno on Tues. Dont think we are going to bother as llandegla today was as others have said deep snow over ice on the exposed bits and penmack or CYB will be that much worse again as they are higher up and also in the Snowdonia range.

Under tree cover was ok ish and you could ride at a decent pace if you stayed in the track lines formed by riders, if you went out of it you were struggling and straight back in too deep snow. The 1st climb out of the car park and the main fire road climb were pretty un-ridable in places and you had to walk.

did the new blue, time taken was 1hr 20min (norm time is 35-40min) i opted for the blue after seeing the open climb conditions as it has more tree cover than the red or black. Good fun but deffo had to be sensible and ride acordingly.

mrh86

Depth Junkie – I have just got back from llandegla myself. We did the black and personally I thought it was all great fun. Only one small section about 3/4 the way around that had to push up. Did take a little bit longer than usual, but all the decent descents are very rideable 🙂

depth-junkie
    Free Member

yeah the black has a fair bit of tree cover when you get back into the forest at the top so i can imagine it’s good in places, it was the exposed bit on the top red/black by the boards that i did not fancy after seeing the staight of fire road climb as i was riding alone 😀

peasnotwar
    Free Member

yet nothing news wise on the MBWales website to say that the CYB visitors centre is closed!!
    call me old fashioned but surely it’s times like this that local conditions/closures etc need to be highlighted?
    Ahh well, there’s always Cader Idris to walk up – unless that’s closed as well!
    😯

mrh86

Depth Junkie – yea I know which bit you mean – it was a bit “interesting”/frustrating there in parts; lots of sliding about. I hadn’t been there since they had built the new black stuff, so was good to see what that was. Think i’ll have to go back when all the snow has gone to see what its actually like

loddrik
    Free Member

Sounds like Llandegla may be the least worst option for tomorrow then…

depth-junkie
    Free Member

heavey snow forecast for us (Wrexham areas) tonight http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wrexham_forecast_weather.html

Followed by sleet all day from midday, who knows how much/if any snow we will get. But they are talking 10-15cm’s on the forecasts.

loddrik
    Free Member

Snowing lightly in Liverpool right now.

Kevevs
    Free Member

arrgh FFS! not more snow, it’s just starting to thaw! I tried going up around Conwy Mountain on Xmas eve and it was more hassle than it was worth 🙁

depth-junkie
    Free Member

well, the heavey snow forecast for Wrexham did not come to fruition last night. Instead this morning we have had a little light rain.

iolo
    Free Member

It’s thawing here today – I just went into the garage to find a new water feature due to a burst pipe.
    It’s raining at present so as long as the col does not return it should be fine mid week.

stayhigh

Hows everything looking up there now, is it thawing nicely?

iolo
    Free Member

Its much better.
    I’m off round the MBR later

iolo
    Free Member

Mbr was fine apart from a couple of fire roads. Tarw beginning is still a bit snowy.
    The centre was open but flippin slow as there were only 2 working.

stayhigh

Were heading upto a cottage near Maerdy tomorrow and I’m planning on riding friday morning so sounding good for then. Cheers iolo hope you had good ride.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Coed-Y Brenin conditions ????’ is closed to new replies.