Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Coed y Brenin advice please
  • stevestunts
    Free Member

A few of us are due to be heading down to Betws y Coed this weekend and I’ve suggested we spend a day at Coed y Brenin.

I’ve ridden there once before with the missus, but can’t really remember what routes I did due to her having a massive hissy fit and me riding off in fury mixing and matching a few sections.

We’re all good bike handlers, used to riding full days on home turf in the Lakes, so technically-demanding, lengthy routes shouldn’t be a problem.

On this basis, the ‘Beast of Brenin’ looks to be the obvious choice, but I thought I’d canvas opinion to see if combining a couple of the shorter routes might be a better option.

I realise potential answers are likely to be subjective, but should give us a good few pointers. Thanks in advance 🙂

squattingmouse
    Free Member

We did the beast but my advice is to try and skip the long fire road climb followed by the long fireroad descent that is ‘dragons back’. The other stuff is good.

On our second day we did the little ‘purple’ loop which is meant as a taster but is really good fun in its own right. Rode it – coffe at cafe, rode it gain etc etc.

MrGreedy

The Beast = MBR + Dragons Back (i.e. all the trails on the E side of the valley linked into one, pretty much anyway). The W side of the valley is the old Red Bull (Tarw now I think) which is a fair bit shorter. If you’re OK with the distance I’d recommend the Beast as you can stop for lunch/cake at the forest cafe halfway round.

MrGreedy

As squatting mouse says there are a couple of fire roady bits you can snip out of the Beast, but doing so does involve shortcutting up some fairly evil climbs so take yer pick…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Mmmmmm, the cafe, good place to stop. Make sure you refill your water bottle around the back and see the view they have from their house.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Really liked the red fox taster for a short run, great fast sweepy jumpy fun.

neil853
    Free Member

we did the beast and MBR on the first day, then the Tarw on the second, suited the weekend because the second day was shorter for the sore legs!

the whole set up is really good, showers that have under floor heating and a good coffee, what more could you want?!

whytetrash

Ride the Beast…you’ll love it!

stevestunts
    Free Member

Splendid, thanks all!

Staying at Rynys campsite in Betws on the off-chance anyone else is there this weekend.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I did the Beast and the old Red Bull back to back on a hard tail and I had forgotten how demanding the Red Bull route was. After half way around it I could hardly hold the bars and my back was aching like a really achy thing.

The Beast is awesome – especially the adams family near the end.

The fire road isn’t that long and you are rewarded with this view…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Another vote for The Beast. I did that before lunch and the MBR after lunch. I think if I went again I would ride the old RedBull and then straight onto The Beast as one loop.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Coed y Brenin advice please’ is closed to new replies.