Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Coed y Brenin – Advice / Accommodation
  • wm4wm4
    Free Member

oops… posted in wrong forum…:

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to organise a long weekend of long trails for the end of March.

I’ve been to the Afan Valley a few times now so want to try something new, and i’ve heard good things about Coed y Brenin in Wales.

I’m trying to organise for about 8-10 people to go and was wondering if anyone knows about accommodation round there?

Ideally something close to the trails / trailcentre / bike shop.

Also, ideally near a pub / shop, but that isn’t so essential

Anyone done anything similar, got any advice?

Cheers

Wilf

stumpy01

How close to the trails?

There’s a hostel in Trawsfynydd, which is ten mins up the road by car…

http://www.trawsfynydd.com/index.php?loc=33

I think it’s £17/night and there’s plenty of space, although you ‘ll need two rooms.

There’s a hotel with a pub about a 2 mins walk away (can be a bit intimidating when you first go in, but a friendly bunch), as well as a small shop (with a free HSBC cash machine in the back) and there’s a cafe as well for a fry-up in the morning.

They have a coin operated washing machine in the hostel, a drying room and a code-key storage lock-up. We take sheets to cover the bikes with as well, just to make them a bit less obvious…..

There’s a Tesco about 15 mins up the road in the other direction from CyB if you need supplies (I think it’s in Dolgellau)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My preference for big groups at CYB is actually to stay in Machynlleth, with Teg at Reditreks. The drive to CYB is nice and short, and you can also go play on Climachhx as well, which makes for a great weekend of riding.

Mach also has the advantage of lots of nice pubs, a Co Op with an ace beer selection, a great little bike shop (Also Tegid!) and a decent curry house to boot.

footflaps

+1 Mach is by far the nicest place nearby to stay.

theflatboy
    Free Member

there’s a very good, bike friendly, campsite just up the road. highly recommended.

it has a shop, though no pub.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Arrived back from there on Monday evening! It was ace! We stayed with these Cadair view lodge. it was perfect! Log cabin on a holiday park, easily slept six and had a porch to store bikes and kit. 2 nights, £180 all in divided by 5 for us, so nice and cheap. The company privately owns 10 or so cabins on the park of varying sizes.
    5 min walk to pub which served awesome food for around £10/15 a meal.
    The bike hire/service place at brenin is also great, one of the lads took his bike in at 4 ish on the Saturday after our ride to get fixed, new middle ring fitted and ready for the ride on Sunday at 10.30. Grand total of 19 quid!!!!
    Brenin trails are great I had a major off on a section called false teeth but clearly didn’t associate the name of the section with its possible contents!!
    One thing I would say, is if it’s been raining its a trail that has streams running down the riding lines in parts, so take plenty of kit, we poured the water out of our shoes after Sunday’s ride!
    Depending on where you live it might also be possible to call at llandega on the way home, that was an absolute blast on a quiet Monday afternoon!

crankboy
    Free Member

When i’ve been with mates we stayed at the Tyn-y-Groes pub but we stopped going after an “incident” that was 7 years ago so i assume from the web site the managment has changed it was a good pub good location and secure bike store .

When i’ve been with my wife we stayed at cadair view lodge which was really nice and romantic and has a good pub just up the hill.

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

wrightyson, I rode Coed-y-Brenin on Sunday and Llandegla on Monday afternoon too 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

You lads in a Black Alfa gt from Birmingham?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Crankboy, the Tyn Y is very good, or at least has been on every one of my recent visits. Always had very friendly welcome and service (Including arriving at about 0100 one Saturday morning after bad traffic, fire was still roaring, ale was poured as we stepped in, to be greeted by name after not being there for about a year. Awesome)

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Wow,

A lot of positive advice. Sounds like we’re going to have a good time!

A lot of places to consider..

Pub looks amazing (slightly out of budget though)

Might have to try one of those farms or campsites, just need confirmation from the others now!

Thanks everyone!

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

You lads in a Black Alfa gt from Birmingham?

Yep! 😀

Were you the lads we were speaking to at Llandegla, one of you on a Five?

wrightyson
    Free Member

That was us, child like grins at the bottom of the descent before the high wooden bridge 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Coed y Brenin – Advice / Accommodation’ is closed to new replies.