Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Co2 Output when 1 kW/h is used?
  • longweight
    Free Member

Can anybody tell me how much Co2 is produced in the U.k when one KW/h is used? I have found various threads on chatrooms but never anything official.

I am trying to work out the Co2 footprint of a lighting design I have recently completed for a customer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

it depends where that kw comes from

longweight
    Free Member

Yes it does and as I understand Uk mains power is made up of roughly 40% coal, 40% gas, 19% renewable (including nuclear) and 1% other.

I am mainly asking if there is a government document or method of calculating the Co2 used to generate 1 KW/h (I know it will be a rough figure only)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

FYI it’s kWh, no slash – the amount of energy is kW multiplied by the number of hours

Gary_M
    Free Member

Have you looked on the Carbon Trust website?

porterclough
    Free Member

Try here:

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/sustainable/book/tex/ps/327.370.pdf

France 83
    Sweden 87
    Canada 220
    Austria 250
    Belgium 335
    European Union 353
    Finland 399
    Spain 408
    Japan 483
    Portugal 525
    United Kingdom 580
    Luxembourg 590
    Germany 601
    USA 613
    Netherlands 652
    Italy 667
    Ireland 784
    Greece 864
    Denmark 881

(gCO2 per kWh of electricity)

Sweden and France generate a lot of Nuclear hence low figures for them.

longweight
    Free Member

Thanks Simon, always get a bit confused! I have had a look on the Carbon Trust website but there is so much information on there its hard to find what your looking for.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Didn’t realise Denmark was so high. Good info.
    Just rememember kW is an instantaneous figure, works for me.

matt_outandabout

The UK figure (I am told) although officially about 580g/CO2/kWh (electric)), is in reality closer to 680g/CO2/kWh. I cannot find the reference, but I am sure I have read it on GHA/AECB/GBC sites and WWF reports.

ransos
    Free Member

It depends what you want to use the figure for. For policy decisions (say regarding building renewables), you would use 0.43 kg CO2/ kW, because generally, you are displacing combined cycle gas turbines, which are cleaner than the overall mix figure. If you just want to know how much CO2 is produced for each kW electricity generated, the official DEFRA reporting figure is 0.537 kg CO2/ Kwh (long-term average).

smiffy

Ask your provider to provide a certificate, for commercial supplies it’s like a fridge sticker with A-G ratings and Co2 figure. Public buildings are obliged by law to display the energy rating where they can be viewed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Co2 Output when 1 kW/h is used?’ is closed to new replies.