This is pretty shocking, but probably not as isolated an incident as you'd believe.
We built a bonfire at the bottom of the walled garden using mostly Laurel prunings. Its pretty windless within the garden and the petrol vapour seemed to be held within the 'igloo' of the bonfire pile. We poured some petrol onto it and laid a trail to ignite it from a safe distance. The fuel fuse reached the pile then exploded shaking every window in the house perhaps 70m away with an almighty explosion.
I can't imagine what a fuel vapour explosion would be like in a kitchen.
Anyone else fancied their chances as the God of Hellfire?