Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • close coupled toilet help……
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

fitting a new close-coupled toilet, having MAJOR problems getting the damn thing to stop leaking from the pan/cistern interface.

I appear to have two leaks to fix – one from the bottom side of the donut washer – when the toilet is flushed – but i think I’ve fixed this by placing the washer on some plumbers mate.

The second leak is from the top side of the donut washer – and is there all the time.

Any tips etc? I’ve already re-assembled several times, checked the alignment (90 deg between pan & cistern etc).

Im gonna see if I can get a “standard” washer tommorow, as I think part of the problem is the donut washer deforming (ie beyond forming a seal) when I tighten the cistern to the pan.

Yours,
    Fustrated.

Mole
    Free Member

Have you checked the siphon washer? How does the cistern fasten to the pan?-bolts under a metal plate on the outside of cistern? or two holes in the cistern for the bolts?

taxi25
    Free Member

Mole +1 I fitted a new syphon to my toilet a couple of days ago. If the washer is making a good seal the permanent leak should go away. Make sure the big nut thing that holds the syphon in place is done up tight enough ( not to tight though ). Greasing up the donut will help seal it.

Bear
    Free Member

I always make toilet cisterns up with silicone sealant. Had too many leaks from mishapen ceramic cisterns that even nice soft rubber washers wont stop. Little bit of silicone fills those small gaps that cause these annoying leaks. Most cisterns don’t need it, but when you get one like yours that proves problematic you spend so much time faffing with it that I don’t take chances and just do it as routine.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I find that close couples are perfectly happy to go in front of each other.

My own relationship isn’t this advanced I’m afraid to say, though I do sometimes go with the door open.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

LOL @ Spokes cycles

To answer the other questions –

The cistern bolts to the pan using two internal bolts. These are OK, not getting any leaks “through” the bolts.

Have checked the cistern washer – and applied a small bead of plumbers mate underneath it.

Any thoughts on the donut washer? I replaced the original (polystyrene!) washer for a ‘traditional’ donut/rubber one. And its still leaking!!!!!!!!!

Mole
    Free Member

Had hairline cracks on the cistern in the past,if all else fails get some good silicone on everything inside the cistern(full strip down) plumbers mate is no good for cisterns.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘close coupled toilet help……’ is closed to new replies.