Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Clipless Pedals – Large Platform Models
  • Tim
    Free Member

Hey all

Looking to replace my venerable shimano 520 pedals as they are a bit battered and ‘loose’.

After something with a platform for more stability.

Any reccommendations – Don’t want an anchor on each crank arm although appreciate this type of pedal is a lways a bit heavier.

XTR Trail or CB Acid would be nice but are £££

any experience of other options? There are a few Shimano ones, CB Mallets, Time Z – anything else worth condsidering?

also these – AtomLab Quickstep Clipless/Flat Pedal

and these – http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/wellgo-cleat-flat-bicycle-pedals-wam-d10-black.html

Cheers!

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve used the Time’s before – still have them in fact – though tend these days to use “normal” slipless pedals.

Times are good – they are simply the Atac with a platform. Mine are a few years old – there were two versions, and mine are the lighter of the two.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Shimano,

the M647s are an excellent trail pedal, if a little heavy. Good performance and very reliable.

The new XTRs look promising but not cheap.

chickenman

Will get shot down in flames for this, but I love my Mallets, work well as flat pedals, easy to unclipin a hurry and loads of float to prevent sore knees.
    You do have to take them apart and grease them every so often (takes 5 mins) otherwise the bearings don’t last,

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Will get shot down in flames for this, but I love my Mallets, work well as flat pedals, easy to unclipin a hurry and loads of float to prevent sore knees.
    You do have to take them apart and grease them every so often (takes 5 mins) otherwise the bearings don’t last

+1

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time every time. 🙂
    Tough as old boots, simple, great in mud.

Blower
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Time every time.
    Tough as old boots, simple, great in mud.
    +1

chainslapp
    Free Member

You do have to take them apart and grease them every so often (takes 5 mins) otherwise the bearings don’t last

+2

carlos
    Free Member

Another Mallet fan here.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I asked this a few days ago, and someone said that shitmano are bringing out a cheaper version of the xtr’s but no further info or links mentioned to me.
    I’m still looking, I love the look of the mallets but used to have candy pedals and i had 2 sets fall apart in not much time so afraid to go down that route… used to have a set of time atacs too which were nice so the z controls could be an option.

but those mallets look proper nice.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

the cheaper version of the xtr pedal is the M530 trail, think it is due in May

carlphillips
    Free Member

these..? not much of a platform there is there?

oh and have seen tons of reviews about the mallets not lasting well..?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I have Mallets.

Completely unserviced for over a year and have performed faultlessly (used for at least 10 miles a week, but often more).

Tomorrow however they will fall apart on my way into work. I wasn’t touching wood 🙁

reggiegasket
    Free Member

a M540/XT version of the 530 trail pictured above would be tempting. Any news on that one?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Clipless Pedals – Large Platform Models’ is closed to new replies.