Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • clipless pedals
  • bear-uk
    Free Member

Please talk to me about pedals.
    I've only been using clipless for around a year. These have been the cheap shimano ones.
    On long rides my knees start hurting more than the rest of my body, also trying to shed some weight from the steed.
    Been looking on flebay at some Time Quartz or maybe some Crank Brothers eggbeaters.
    What do you guys use and why?
    Regards Steve

RealMan
    Free Member

Shimano XT SPDs.

I still think Shimano SPDs are the best. So do lots of other people.

If your knees are hurting, maybe its your cleat positioning, or even your saddle height.

druidh
    Free Member

I've been a Shimano (or Ritchey Shimano-alike) for years but I'm just giving Eggbeaters a try at the moment. They take a wee bit of getting used to as there's so much "float". You might find this helps your knee problem.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are you sure the pain is related to the pedals? Could it be that you're just pushing gears that are a bit big?

Also, it could be the fact that clipless holds the foot flat against the pedal. You could look at some LeMond wedges. There are even some places that do a full set up for you.

sailor74
    Free Member

knee probs will most likely be down to cleat and or saddle positioning.

I have tried time attac which were ok, also egg beaters which I didnt really like due to the lack of platform, also they are the only pedals that have caused me to fall over through not being able to unclip!

I now use shimano DX, mainly because i like the flat pedal feel and i find the extra support they give to be more comfortable.

they seem much easier to unclip from than regular shimano spd's, so i am having to wind down the release mechanism much further than i used to.

mrmo
    Free Member

first issue, the cleats are set correctly? if not that may cause pain. It does depend on the rider and how sensitive their knees are. I used to use Shimano 737 and 747's so 10years ago? changed to Time and haven't had an issue since.

brakes
    Free Member

after only ever using SPDs I started to use Crank Brothers Candys a few months back, they felt awful at first – felt like they were loose all the time and clipping in and out was very vague
    but I've got used to them and whilst engagement isn't as positive (takes a bit more concentration to clip in first time every time) the major advantage is that my right knee, which would give me jip over any distance is now fine and it's more of a natural movement to unclip
    I rode 62 miles last weekend without any problems

when I replace my shoes, I will probably go for something stiffer though, currently using Spec Comps

bear-uk
    Free Member

I'm ok on 15/20 mile rides, it's the all day ones that give me a bit of grieve. It's probably the fact that I'm old and knackered. I was just thinking of maybe trying something else.

mentalalex
    Free Member

i used to use shimano spds and would have occasional knee pain, moved to egg beats and i think they are so much better, the engagement is better, they look better, better in the mud.

but they do require more maintained then shimano ones, as they are fit and forget.

🙂

bear-uk
    Free Member

I have done all the knees over table business to try and set the cleats up correctly.
    Have heard about the eggbeaters needing maintenance.

I use Mallets (Eggbeaters with a platform cage) and they felt wierd at first, but they are my first clipless pedals. My knees hurt after the first few rides, but are fine now and these pedals have loads of float.

Vern
    Free Member

I had the same problem with Shimano, switched to Time ATAC Alium, masses of float, very good for the knees. They have great mud clearance too:

Time Pedals

bear-uk
    Free Member

Vern, the Time ATAC pedals look like a good pedal, but they are just to heavy. I'm trying to find something better but also lighter than my 380gm Shimano's. So the Quartz look like a decent option for me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘clipless pedals’ is closed to new replies.