Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • clipless or flats
  • ben10
    Free Member

looking at new pedles cliples or flats which do you thinks best i run flats at the min but need new foot wear anyway

rewski
    Free Member

What riding do you do? I’ve just switched from flats to shimano xt spds, it’s been a revelation, but I’m doing more hilly xc long distance.

jimjam
    Free Member

Sweet lord no.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Gone from spds to flats, I like them 🙂

HermanShake
    Free Member

This again? 😆

I was on flats to start, progressed to eggbeaters on both the road (commuter, rarely lycra) and MTB and now have flats on the MTB and flat cages on the road/commuter.

Cleats give you antigravity jumping/climbing powers and a higher potential for weird injuries. Flats make you ride differently and let you release in the event of a mistake. I’ve finally got my technique back from the cleat-flat transition and I feel better for it. FWIW a knee injury prompted the change.

Each have their place (although there are many, many exceptions). Generally speaking…SPDs suit XCish distance, flats suit DH, jumping, clumsy people or anything with a bit of risky fun.

Can you borrow some to try them out?

As asked, what do you ride?

ben10
    Free Member

hi all i ride many trail centers red and black route like lee and gisburn 2 to 4 hour but do some xc racing manly at lee. short 1 1/2 h ones but looking in to uping the racing a bit

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Flats on my Blur 4X which I like to get a bit erm, ragged on.

Clips on my Curtis S1.

justatheory
    Free Member

I use both depending on what kind of riding I’m doing. Flats are good for practising skills such as manuals and proper technique for bunny hops and give you the advantage of being able to dab. SPDs are like a cheater pedal and should give you an advantage once you’ve learned your trade on flats.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

If you learn to ride in cleats/SPD’s and have reasonable skills you can ride them with the same freedom as flats.(almost)
    I have rode Downhill tracks uplift days and never have a problem taking a foot off and then almost instantly clipping back in.
    Uphill techy sections are also easier to ride with spd’s

cookeaa

Flats! No Clips! No Flats! No Clips! Both! Neither! … Awww I dunno, hedge your bets, one of each?
    Or just hack your feet off at the ankles and get rid of the problem all together!

klumpy
    Free Member

I got SPDs then fitted the ‘multi release’ cleats (ie: that come out really easily). Even an instinctive leg twitch will pull my foot free, but they still help loads for pedalling, and even popping the bike around a bit.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Flats these days, but I sure do miss the spd’s on the hill climbs.

atlaz
    Free Member

Both. But not at the same time.

GEDA
    Free Member

Both fun.

ben10
    Free Member

ok so many vue’s was thinking thay mite help as my lefy legis a lot weaker than my right due to a lot of surgery rebilding my femer and my leg and foot dose not sit right on the pedle bit sceard i wont be able to put a foot down in time

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

you get used to getting your foot down and after a while its no longer an issue. for xc racing – clips no question

elzorillo
    Free Member

ok so many vue’s was thinking thay mite help as my lefy legis a lot weaker than my right due to a lot of surgery rebilding my femer and my leg and foot dose not sit right on the pedle bit sceard i wont be able to put a foot down in time

Same here.. had a lot of surgery on both my tib and fib from some very bad breaks, resulting in not much movement in the ankle. Makes it hit/miss whether I can get out of spd so now only use flats.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘clipless or flats’ is closed to new replies.