Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • clipless or flat pedals? convince me…
  • Stinkerbell
    Free Member

Been riding with SPDs for years but tempted to convert to flats.. still weighing up the benefits…any advice?

chvck
    Free Member

Borrow some and see if you like them?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stick with SPDs

randomjeremy
    Free Member

do it or don’t, whatever

GW
    Free Member

sorry I don’t think anyone else’s ever even contemplated such a change, let alone asked about it on here before 🙄

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Was like you before I changed to flats a couple of years ago. As long as you get the right shoe/peddle combo you will be surprised how much grip you have. still use clipless on the road though.

Stinkerbell
    Free Member

First time for w everything GW…JUST COME BACK FROM Scotland and not an SPD in sight…wondering if I am missing something? :-/

grum
    Free Member

Flats are good for learning to jump properly imo. Otherwise it really doesn’t matter.

samuri
    Free Member

Ayup. I wouldn’t go jumping in SPD’s.
    But then I wouldn’t go riding on flats.

jam-bo

i tend to ride clipped in summer, flats in winter.

Stinkerbell
    Free Member

Find I am unclipping for more technical s[*]tuff and thought flats may offera more consistent and confident ride?

BenjiM

Splash a tenner out on some v8 copys, strap some metal plates to your shins for the inevitable slippage and try it for yourself.

BenjiM

After reading your last post, that’s more of a confidence thing I think. You can still ride technical stuff clipped in, maybe slacken of your SPD’s as much as possible to allow a bail out option? You can still jump in SPD’s regardless of people saying you develop “bad habits”.

Stinkerbell
    Free Member

Cheers benjim, tiz confidence but wondered if flats afforded better bail out…and if sticky rubber really made flats a serious contender for regular trail riders.

wors

i tried spd’s, confidence was zilch. Got some superstar nano’s and some skate shoes, a total turnaround. Wouldn’t go back for anything. Ride clipped in on the road bike with no issues though!

maxray
    Free Member

I prefer flats for stuff where falling off is more likely.. spds offer far greater peddling efficiency for those long days out.

cookeaa

Wear what you like. Nobody of any importance will care either way…

Northwind

Try both, think for self. Neither one is better. Reap likely benefits of skilling up.

Oh- when I say try, I don’t mean do one or two rides and decide you don’t like it like lots of people do, it takes time to figure it out.

BenjiM

If you currently use SPD’s and have been for a while and you still aren’t feeling confident then give flats a go. But for gods sake don’t splash out stupid cash on some pedals & “sticky shoes” because you may not prefer flats to clipless. If you can borrow some for a ride that would be great. But like others have said each to their own. Whatever you feel more comfortable on.

Sometimes I’ll switch between the two. Before a ride not during 😉

Stinkerbell
    Free Member

Don’t care who else will care cookeaa, just want to get the best out of me riding. Can get stuck with what you know and are used to. What ya know is not always best tho…

GW
    Free Member

think for self

+1

better late than never 😉

billybob
    Free Member

Surely the only way to truly find out is to try one foot clipped in & one foot on flats, see which foot feels better.

Stinkerbell
    Free Member

Reckon I will borrow some and give them a try out. Will take advice and give them a fair crack with shinpads! As for skilling up, improving all the time but think I will alwaYs be a nervous soul…looking forward…

Stinkerbell
    Free Member

Like yer style billybob, are you running any skills sessions?

Rockape63
    Free Member

No ones mentioned that it depends on the type of riding you are doing! If it’s very technical the flats can be a better option, but for general XC, spes are the best option.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden anywhere where I have felt less confident clipped in and that includes riding in Spain and the Alps.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘clipless or flat pedals? convince me…’ is closed to new replies.