Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Clinical Trial – Ever Done One?
  • moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Heard an ad on the radio (I think XFM) last week touting the benefits and pay of clinical trials. Not a lot fo work, and pay in the region of £2000+

(not planning to do one btw), has anyone ever done one? Any hilarious stories/side effects?

AndyP
    Free Member

have been involved in many, many thousands. Done a few, worked on lots. Lots of good stories but signed confidentiality clauses 😉

wwaswas

this put me off for life, tbh;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4808836.stm

it’s not the full story and I know they changed the procedures afterwards but there’ll always be a next time.

AndyP
    Free Member

Of course there will. And there will always be people who sign a consent form which says it could make them very ill or even die but they will ignore that and focus on the cash, and then look for compensation afterwards.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I think it would be a good living if you were seriously desperate for cash, the risks are probably fairly small.

I guess you have to be fil and healthy, I.e. a homeless person couldn’t score a quick grand?

totalshell

before they had thier knives into my heart i used to get invited along to training days for students to attempt diagnosis.. no money but expences and a paid day off work whilst i ”went to hospital..”

onehundredthidiot

Yeah done a few.

One for an anti-emetic which involved being taken to the edge of puking, effectively by sitting in a darkened box and spun round. Lasted trough the night, once a week for several weeks.

Prob can’t talk about the other but it involved running, wind, cold mist and various white tablets. And a temperature probe two inches beyond the skin fold.

yossarian
    Free Member

I did one. I had my testicles replaced with pickled onions, seeing a cheese sandwich caused an uncontrollable erection.

Fine now though, 100% safe IMO.

wwaswas

Fine now though

The cheese sandwich is still traumatised.

spooky_b329

That BBC link to the drug trial gone wrong, I can’t remember what the outcome was?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I have a relative involved in drug trials, his view was that even drugs on the market are not 100% safe, so taking them at the trail stage is quite risky.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did a couple at uni. Stuck to New delivery methods for existing drugs. No problems yet and it was fifteen years ago.

dr_death
    Free Member

I’m organising a trial looking into the effects of intravenous fluid on the acutely intoxicated….

You have to sit in a room and get drunk while we give you i.v. fluid and measure your alcohol levels. £50 M&S vouchers (and two free days of being drunk).

qwerty
    Free Member

Every dodgy drug dealer has someone on the team for trials.

wwaswas

That BBC link to the drug trial gone wrong, I can’t remember what the outcome was?

this has some more detail, I’ve not bothered to look further but think this is out of date in some details too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGN1412

trail_rat
    Free Member

i did a couple at uni

one i got put on a glucose drip for a day and samples of muscle taken out my thigh as regular intervals to see what effect it had on my muscles.

was some research for diabetes – i only did it as me and my mate were drinking in the uni bar and saw a poster – he was skint and he was going for it but didnt want to do it on his jack jones

if i look hard i can still see the three little scars where the muscle was taken from

ourmaninthenorth

I acted for one of the lawyers for the Northwick Park trialists. Her descriptions were pretty grim.

schmiken

I’ve done four so far and wouldn’t hesitate to do another. I’ve had no side effects and I’ve made a lot of money from it too.
    My thinking is clinical trial = lots of sitting around getting bored + new bike.

It does get annoying when people who have no idea what is actually involved think it’s all about glowing in the dark or acute liver failure when it’s nothing of the sort. The drugs I’ve ‘tested’ so far have been a new delivery system for insulin, a crossover trial for a statin and nothing ‘new’ or dangerous. Trials are tedious and mind numbingly boring, but not dangerous.

wwaswas

not dangerous

“mostly, not dangerous” would seem to be closer to the truth.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Clinical Trial – Ever Done One?’ is closed to new replies.