Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cleaning tyre beads of tubeless gunk when swapping to new rims?
  • timmys

I’ve got some new wheels to swap my tyres to. I assume it is necessary to clean all the latex gunk off the bead area to get a good seal? Any tips for the best way to clean it off?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’ve never cleaned it off and never had any bother. I’d rinse the inside of the tyre out and give it a wipe with a rag if I was changing the sealant but otherwise I’d just give the beads a wipe and fit the tyre.

I just rub it with my thumb or a coarse rag until I get a loose edge, then peel it off.
    Sometimes it comes off in long strips, sometimes it needs a lot of rubbing.
    I wouldn’t use any sort of metal scraper, maybe a plastic tyre lever if it’s really well stuck.

Northwind

Usually pretty easy to get it off, though. Scotchbrite pads are really useful for tubeless cleaning

Suggsey
    Free Member

Fairy liquid and warm water then just rub between fingers and thumb and peel off longer sections, finished off with thumb nail for bits that are resisting……I don’t worry about the inside of the carcass unless there’s big dollops just concentrate on outer bead and edge.

timmys

Cheers everyone, thanks for the pointers!

njee20
    Free Member

I tend to just use one of those metal scourers, doesn’t do any damage to the tyre.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning tyre beads of tubeless gunk when swapping to new rims?’ is closed to new replies.