Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cleaned Cwm Carn XC loop?
  • drapes
    Free Member

I think ive only cleaned the XC loop once ever. Ive done each idividual bit plenty of times but to clean the lot in one go deserves respect. Especially in the wet. How does everyone else fare on this loop.

And i mean the XC loop not the DH.

And whatever happened to the drop offs in the free ride bit?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I think ive only cleaned the XC loop once ever.

Are you having trouble with the climbs?

njee20
    Free Member

With ease many times, there's one bit on the climb where there's a sticky-outy rock bit which can cause a dab, but generally it's fine.

richc
    Free Member

the concrete slope is the bugger I can never be arsed to do.

MrAgreeable

Dropoffs in the freeride bit were removed as ridiculous numbers of people were spanging themselves on them.

And no I don't think I've ever done it all, certainly not with the concrete bit included. I think I've ridden that once, although maybe I dreamed it.

njee20
    Free Member

Concrete bit's alright, just gotta keep your weight forward on the corner at the bottom, that's where a nice low front end is nice admittedly, I remember my Fuel Ex being a bit more 'wandery' there!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Never a clean run on CwmCarn although I'd fancy my chances on something like an Anthem. I've done the whole climb with only one dab near the end many a time, which I'm pretty sure has been altered and the hard bit removed now. But not been riding there without being in a group for ages so haven't had a clear run at it.

saladdodger
    Free Member

richc – Member
    the concrete slope is the bugger I can never be arsed to do.

I too feel you pain I have failed every time 😕 and it is only what about 30ft long 😳

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

concrete slope is all about remembering it's there and having the right gear ready for it!

i've seen two people go over the back of the bike trying to get up it 😆

that sticky outy rock on the second singletrack climb is the only bit i've struggled with but if i concentrate i can clean the lot

lethal_frizzle
    Free Member

the xc race at the student champs that were held there in march 08 didnt give much chance for a clean run, there were ridiculous queues at all the motorbike gates as people struggled through, not to mention the concrete slope.

and going down the final descent was like being stuck in a traffic jam!

rocket
    Free Member

Similar to you drapes – all individually many times, but never in one go. There are 3 key bits for me – short eroded rocky climb in the first section (just after an mx gate, before hitting forest drive for first time), last narrow eroded steep rocky bit near the top of the main climb, and that concrete slope. Have nailed all these in same ride a few times only to dab at a daft spot elsewhere. Ah well, not really too bothered by it, but would be nice to do, as well as a sub 1hr loop.

glenp
    Free Member

There's a rocky step that I knew about – in fact knowledge of it had me waiting to fail. Which I did!

The concrete slope is flippin' steep too – not sure how you'd get a ss up that.

njee20
    Free Member

You just need to go a bit quicker LF, I had a nice clear run through the vast majority of it 🙂

It's a shame they couldn't do anything about the motorbike gates, I can imagine it was carnage! Even a 6" 'slope' so you could jump through them would've been far quicker.

hopster
    Free Member

Cleaned it all on the SS inc the concrete section. Its a real knee breaker though.

njee20
    Free Member

That's a good effort, it's the fact you've got to turn 90 degrees onto the concrete slope that makes it so harsh, wouldn't fancy it on the SS!

MrAgreeable

Hopster, you run a cheat's ratio though, 32:18 is it? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I've done it all but not on the same run. I think I've had one dab on a few runs. That's partly due to me taking the Patriot there most often tho. The concrete bit is easy; just whack it in your lowest gear as you approach, then put your chin on the stem and your arsehole on the saddle nose, and give it everything.

The only bit that gives me trouble is the steep rocky bit a bit before the fire-road that leads to the freeride section. Not the last uphill (that's just strenuous) but the one before that – rocky and eroded.

And for those who haven't been for a long time and are reaching for their willies to start waving – it's way the hell harder than it used to be and gets harder each year.

PS Did it in 56 minutes earlier this year 🙂

cheers_drive

I agree with molgrips that it has got harder to clear now it's eroded. Last time I rode it however I cleared it all for the first time (it wasn't none stop though as I was riding it a group so waited for them at squeeze stiles / road crossings), being bone dry helped and I think they have smoothed out the steep eroded bit just before the fireroad that several people have mentioned as I hadn't cleaned it for a few years.
    The concrete ramp is easy – if it's dry and if I remember to changed down at the end of the manic section before.
    Hopster – Having seen you clean Lady Edge in the Qs on SS that doesn't suprise me.

sofatester
    Free Member

And for those who haven't been for a long time and are reaching for their willies to start waving – it's way the hell harder than it used to be and gets harder each year.

PS Did it in 56 minutes earlier this year

🙄

dasnut
    Free Member

for all my frantic sweeping, I can never get that damned trail clean

FuzzyWuzzy

Not cleaned it all in one run either 🙁 Every time I clean the 3 or 4 tricky bits I mess up on something easy. Concrete slope is fine as long as you get into 1st before the corner, I'd have no chance of doing it on a SS though :p

lethal_frizzle
    Free Member

ha ha njee20, yeah would have loved to have done it quicker, unfortunately a few 'drivetrain issues' let a nice crowd past me 🙁

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Actually your wrong.
    It used to be harder than it is now.
    They changed the last singletrack section before the "freeride" section. It used to go up steeper and over a series of roots which were much tricker than the rock step there now. Also the concrete climb has not always been concrete.

Still a tough climb with a few tricky sections though.

stumpy01

I have never done it in one go without dabbing somewhere, although last time I was there I got close.

I reckon in the last 5yrs or so that I have gone there it has got harder overall. They may have changed certain sections, but when I first started going it wasn't as eroded as it is now & exposed roots/rocks weren't so exposed.
    And I am a better rider than I was 5 yrs ago (I think)! 5 yrs ago I used to be lucky to get in one lap of the black at Thetford a month. I now have heaps more experience, although perhaps not THAT much more skill or I would have done Cwm Carn without dabbing!

Trimix
    Free Member

56 mins is good. Id be happy to do it in an hour. Trouble is its an hour and a half away and after that long sitting in the van my legs havent woken up. Then after the first ride that wakes me up Im tired out on the second one. (and full of lunch)

Ive cleaned it in the dry – but I know where the tricky bits are and plan for them.

njee20
    Free Member

unfortunately a few 'drivetrain issues' let a nice crowd past

Yeah the pace on the first lap climb was mental, I remember giving it everything to stay with the lead group on the road from the gun, crazy fast! Think my first proper lap of the whole course was something like 44 minutes, not the quickest by a fair margin, but plenty quick enough sandwiched between two other laps! That was a damn painful race!

nickc

Cleaned it apart from the concrete climb, one day…

richc
    Free Member

I haven't been in a while, but its definitely much easier than it used to be. The 1st climb between the toll booth and the road has been made much easier, and the 2nd section of singletrack climb which leads you to the fireroad which takes you to the freeride area used to be a total bitch.

I reckon I go to Cwmcarn once or twice a year, and each time I notice they have removed a hard bit and replaced it with something a bit wider, a bit less steep or a bit less rooty/rocky, which I guess makes the trail a lot more sustainable and less maintenance intensive, however it also has the knock on effect of making it a little bit easier to ride.

Still good fun, however it is definitely being dumbed down.

hopster
    Free Member

Hopster, you run a cheat's ratio though, 32:18 is it?

32:17 is that cheating?

Lummox

keep dabbing on android hill, but to be honest i enjoy doing it in sections, checking everyone got through in my group and cheering on those that are finding it harder, i have no intention of ever trying to ride up the concrete slope.

And last time i went it was suffering from the very heavy rain and some of the singletrack between the freeride part and the slope was the sketchiest most washed out fun i've ever had, one tyre slip from disastar, BRILLIANT!

MrAgreeable

32:17! Surprised you weren't using stabilisers too. 😉

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Cleaned it about 3 times out of the 10 times I have ridden it and 2 of those were clean followed by clean on the same day.

Went through a phase of falling off going up hill with my weight too far forward, hitting a root, SUPERMAN!!!!

Any time under an hour deserves respect. Did a clean back to back ona hardtail in just under 2 hours.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I've cleaned it plenty of times. Cilit Bang's the stuff to use 😆

Keva
    Free Member

There's probably three bits I always seem to dab on, couple near the bottom and one near the top – have cleaned them on seperate occasions just not all in one go. Usually get around in just over an hour an find the second lap is normally a couple of mins faster. Quickest time is 58mins on my old Maxlight xc pro.

Kev

Taz

I clean it most times I ride it (a double lap most weeks through the winter typicially) though agree that if you are not concentrating there are plenty of bits to get you. Knowing what is coming really helps though.

Definitely find it easier on a HT for some reason

As others have said it was also noticably harder before they 'sanitised' the last singletrack (which includes Android Hill)

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I find the concrete slope fairly easy these days. Can always clear that. There is one section that always catches me out. About 3/4 of the way up, you cross the road at the hair pin / picnic area, up the gravel track, onto the singletrack, round the hairpin and then along there you've got a rocky section. always mess up there. rest is fine. 1hr 9min on a trance. 40min to the top of the freeride. 1hr 16min on a 7" marin quake! a friend has done 4 laps in 4 hours including a puncture. his best was around 40-45min!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cleaned Cwm Carn XC loop?’ is closed to new replies.