Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Classic Rock Gigs
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It’s a fantastic time for old metalheads of a ‘certain age’ as there are loads of anniversary tours going on at the moment.

This year I’ve seen Europe, Mr Big and Electric Boys, got Motley Crue (with Def Lep) coming up soon and Disneyland After Dark booked for next year.

Added to that Metallica have just announced that they’ll be playing the entire ‘black’ album at Download next year and W.A.S.P are apparantly doing a big 30th anniversary tour.

So what you been to / got lined up?

Cougar

Gig envy.

I would’ve loved to go to the Lep / Crue gig, but baulked at the price.

Where the hell did you see the Electric Boys? I didn’t know they were still going (found their ‘greatest hits’ on Spotify a couple of days ago, coincidentally).

Added to that Metallica have just announced that they’ll be playing the entire ‘black’ album at Download next year

Oops. Sorry, I’ll go and clean that up.

nbt

So what you been to / got lined up?

Recently? Very little, cna’t justify the enormous prices that gig tickets cost these days. Would have loved to see iron maiden last year but £60? FFS!

Lifer
    Free Member

Henry Rollins in Jan
    Mastodon in Feb

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Electric Boys – saw them at the Islington Academy (in ‘that’ London). Superb gig, but sadly not sold out. Did mean I was right at the front and came away with a plectrum and drumstick!

Few pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheesyfeet/sets/72157627883765628/

emsz
    Free Member

Nbt, the most I’ve paid recently was £22 fir elbow. Me an gf usually pay about £9 for a mid week gig at one of the o2 venues for 3 pretty good bands. Seen baddies, passion pit, joy formidable, Manchester orchestra, everything everything really good value.

Don’t think I’d pay £60 for a ticket!

Moe

Oli Brown, Aynsley Lister, Joe Bonamassa – all stunning guitarists and all superb showmen. None quite ‘classic’ but in twenty years time, mark my words!

You say ‘Joe Bonamassa’ to most folk and you get a blank look! FFS! He’s played the Royal Albert Hall and jammed with Eric Clapton!

gibby

Opeth tonight
    Hawkwind in Dec

Cougar

Yeah, Joe Bonamassa is on my ‘to see’ list.

Few pics here

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pink Floyd, Knebworth. 1979.

Sex Pistols, 100 Club. 1977 by association (I wasn’t there, but my guitarist was).

Joy Division, Euston YMCA 1980 (queued, couldn’t get in but my guitarist did. Git.)

New Order, Heaven. 1981.

Everybody who WAS anybody. Isle of Wight Festival at Worthy Farm, 1970.

Pink Fairies, Windsor Great Park free festival, 1974. (Didn’t play, too stoned).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Last/this year I have seen:

Iron Maiden
    AC/DC
    Motorhead
    Judas Priest
    Queensryke
    Kiss
    The Cult

Nobody wanted to see Leppard/Crue with me so didn’t get tickets to that.

HOPEFULLY Sabbath will be announcing the reunion album and tour today if the (very strong) rumours are to be believed. I will be first in the queue for that one.

EDIT: and W.A.S.P are apparantly doing a big 30th anniversary tour I will be getting tickets to that too 🙂

redted
    Free Member

Toxic Twin Towers Ball shortly before they knocked Wembley down. Line up was something like Aerosmith, Lenny Kravitz, Black Crowes, Stereophonics (when they were good!) and Three Colours Red. absolutely brilliant day, got sunburnt to **** but pretty much best gig I’ve ever been to.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

redted – I was there too a good day out indeed!

cinnamon_girl

I’ve realised that you can’t really go back. 🙁 A few years ago went to see Deep Purple (minus Ritchie Blackmore obviously) but you just can’t recreate the 70’s, the flush of youth etc.

Have got fantastic memories of so many gigs, as well as owning a piece of Ozzy Osbourne’s clothing.

Moe – gotta agree with you there, have seen Joe B twice and Aynsley three times.

instanthit
    Free Member

The Clash – Torquay Town Hall 78.
    Theatre of Hate – Stafford ? 81
    The Jam – Torquay Town Hall 78
    Paul Weller – any recent tour
    BB King – Exeter university 80?

nickf
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Pink Floyd, Knebworth. 1979.

Sex Pistols, 100 Club. 1977 by association (I wasn’t there, but my guitarist was).

Joy Division, Euston YMCA 1980 (queued, couldn’t get in but my guitarist did. Git.)

New Order, Heaven. 1981.

Everybody who WAS anybody. Isle of Wight Festival at Worthy Farm, 1970.

Pink Fairies, Windsor Great Park free festival, 1974. (Didn’t play, too stoned).

Can’t beat that list, but selected highlights include:

Joy Division, Newcastle City Hall 1979 (they really were’t that great live)

New Order, Mayfair, 1982 (they really WERE good live)

Pink Floyd (Wall tour), Earl’s Court, 1981

Loads followed, many terrible, some good, but kids sort of got in the way.

Led Zeppelin, O2, 2007 was, I’m rather ashamed to say, a freebie.

edlong
    Free Member

I’m with cinnamon girl on these nostalgia acts – been to see a few bands who were well past their prime (including a Blackmore-less Deep Purple) and, although they can do the songs, was left with the abiding thought that I’d have enjoyed them back in their prime a whole lot more. That said, if Jane’s Addiction tour again, I’m going…

bagpuss72
    Free Member

WASP????????? I wanna come too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moe

Music is a bit like trail riding, you really need to explore to find the best stuff. So many people take what they are spoon fed by the media!

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve been to 3 brilliant gigs since last Saturday, can’t possible remember all the “classics”!
    Off top of my head
    SLF (1st gig), Siouxsie, Stranglers, The Jam, Underworld, Primal Scream, Orbital, Au Pairs, Bauhaus, Wonder Stuff, Screaming Blue Messiahs, Pixies, Lo-Fidelity Allstars, Chemical Brothers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sigue Sigue Sputnik (oh yes, it was!), Faith No More, Smashing Pumpkins, Orbital, Oasis (before they were big, natch), Black Grape all were classics.. probably more.. the only “Comeback” gig I have ever been to and ever will was Gang of Four.
    Recent classics Super_collider, Glitch Mob, Sleigh Bells, !!!, LCD Soundsystem, Temper Trap

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Saw whitesnake earlier in the year and seeing them again soon. Saw Bon jovi, loved seeing Journey this year and also thought the Night Ranger gig was just fantastic. Did a Dan Reed acoustic gig too.

daveb
    Free Member

A bit like the music I have been a bit revived on the gig front for the last few years

In the last year or so I have seen…
    AC/DC
    Michael Monroe
    Roger Waters
    Twisted Sister
    New York Dolls
    Motorhead
    Dianno
    Judas Priest
    Queensryche
    Kiss
    Reckless Love
    UFO
    MSG
    Saxon
    Faster Pussycat
    Crash Diet
    69 Eyes
    MurderDolls
    Wednesday13
    Black Spiders
    Airbourne
    The Darkness
    and probably a few I have forgotten about

Over the next few months I have tickets for

Rammstein
    Saxon
    Motley Crue (With Def leppard)
    Steel Panther
    VirginMarys
    Blaze

Also going to Hard Rock Hell mainly to see the awesome Ace Frehley but it also has quite a few others I am looking forward to

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Music is a bit like trail riding, you really need to explore to find the best stuff. So many people take what they are spoon fed by the media!

What a puzzling post – I am not sure what it means.

plumber
    Free Member

Tyketto soon 😀

BoardinBob

A tenner says you lot regularly rock the double denim look 8)

plumber
    Free Member

thats a no from me

daveb
    Free Member

Oh, just remembered that I also saw Pretty Boy Floyd and LA guns on the same bill at the tail end of last year – both a huge let down especially LA Guns who I had been wanting to see for years.

MoreCashThanDash

My Leppard/Crue tickets are part of the ever growing list of things I have bought myself that are being classified as Christmas presents!

cinnamon_girl

Gigs have become ridiculously expensive, factor in petrol and parking and I’m finding it hard to justify. In fact, this year haven’t been to any.

the-muffin-man

Gigs have become ridiculously expensive, factor in petrol and parking and I’m finding it hard to justify. In fact, this year haven’t been to any.

+1!

The price for the Crue/Leppard tickets was stupid, but as long as they keep filling arenas the prices will rise ever higher.

Moe

What a puzzling post – I am not sure what it means.

Related to my earlier post about the three bands I mentioned not really being ‘Classic’. What I’m getting at is that most people only know what is dished ou to them on the radio/TV and don’t ever bother giving an unknown a second look (or listen) but then I guess that’s the way it’s always been, at least now with the interweb new acts have a broader outlet.

DezB
    Free Member

Gigs have become ridiculously expensive,

Depends what bands you’re going to see, old, established acts (dinosaurs), or new, up and coming stuff.
    Gigs I go to average about a tenner. Paid £25 for one last year and it was the worst gig of the year.

cinnamon_girl

Dez – any band that’s younger than me is not a dinosaur so why are Joe B’s tickets going for £50?

Who did you see for £25 then?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have taken to watching Ebay auctions and trying to get cheap single tickets near the date for the 02 in Leeds – it is 25 minutes from my house so I am quite happy to drive accross and watch any old band if I can get a ticket for a couple of ££s

Kicking myself that I forgot to bid on an auction for the Manowar gig last week – someone failed to sell a single ticket at 99p with free postage. Now I wouldn’t pay much to see them, but at 99p…

Moe

I remember paying £7 to see Iron Maiden at Taunton!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I remember paying £7 to see Iron Maiden at Taunton!

Pfft – I paid £3.75 to see them at St George’s Hall, Bradford on the ‘Beast on the Road’ tour.

tazzymtb

Never go back to a reunion gig. It’ll destroy all credibility you had the first time round. go to a punk gig as an angry 16 year old fairy nuff.

Go to watch a bunch of middle aged blokes who have become what they most reviled and hated= sad git

same with metal gigs saw slayer in their glory days and they were immense and the pit was ace, a mosh pit full of fat old geezers with only their comb overs to headbang with just really doesn’t scream METAL. 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

Motley Crue? Saw them at Donington about 20 years ago (the year AC/DC headlined), wouldn’t pay 20p to see them again.

racefaceec90

i saw rush earlier this year 😀 (3rd time i’ve seen them) and have seen marillion numerous times (steve rothery is my favourite guitarist/i would give just about anything to be able to play the guitar like he can 😀

sweepy
    Free Member

I went to see the Grateful dead on their last british dates. Top night

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Classic Rock Gigs’ is closed to new replies.