Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Claiming on M&S Home insurance….
  • Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Further on from the Cracked frame situation, trying to work out if to claim on the accidental cover I have on our home policy.

A- Is a cracked frame accidental damage at all?
    B- Is it worth the agro of claiming?
    C- Premiums will no doubt take a hit?
    D- Should I just suck it up and buy a new frame.

Still a bit narked that a £1k frame only lasted 3 years with occasional, but quite admittedly quite hard use. Anybody actually claimed for something like this?

Thanks all.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You could just ring them up and ask them if its a valid claim?

Personally I would be speaking to the frame manufacturer and seeing what deal they will do you first before putting stuff through house insurance.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I haven’t claimed for a bike, but last year I claimed for a grands worth of lost camera lenses and the premium didn’t go up this year.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

M&S consider it accidental damage if it’s caused by a single attributable incident. So if you crashed and then it was cracked that should be ok but if it just cracked over time they’ll prob say it’s wear and tear.

spooky_b329

I believe your first claim doesn’t affect the premiums, but if you change insurance company on renewal (or tend to cancel and renew with M&S as most of us do to get a cheaper policy) then you will have to declare the claim and this will undoubtedly increase the price.

On the claim side, if you think the crack was the result of a particular incident/crash then as far as I can see, you are covered. But if they interpret the claim as wear and tear that has developed over time, by my understanding of the T&C’s they could say its not covered. Otherwise people would start claiming for new roofs as the 100 year old slates are breaking up 🙂

Edit: Beat me to it Ivan 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yes, think I’m inclined to agree with the general opinion that it’s wear and tear and will just suck it up.

Thanks all.

TheGingerOne

I claimed on my M&S insurance as I have personal possessions cover with the accidental cover. I cracked a weld on my Yeti ASR from a rock strike and claimed for a new frame. It was new for old and they wanted to replace it with the same, but I said I did not want the same and they were happy for me to choose a different frame upto the value of a new ASR frame. Wheelies Direct actually sort out Bike claims for them and so they have to be able to get one, but there was a good choice of options.
    All I needed was to send photo’s to prove it was real and also that it was not a manufacturing fault (I seem to remember) as it cracked the weld, so needed to show it was a rock strike.
    On renewal my insurance did go up a bit (might have just been the annual increase anyway), but not drastically.
    It is worth it for a frame in my experience.
    Only issue was that I emailed photo’s to Wheelies, but they never arrived. Turns out they have a file size limit on emails, but never tell you that or tell you when they have not received the photo’s.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Claiming on M&S Home insurance….’ is closed to new replies.