Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • civil servants and the c2w scheme
  • Trekster

given the current disclosures on government employees expenses claims etc should a civil servant be buying a bike on c2w scheme that they may only then use once in a while to bike to work?
    eg no intentions of cycling to work during the winter, spends quite a bit of time away(in other parts of country)on expenses of £37/night)from the office.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Well I am a civic servant.

I have two bikes from the scheme and have sold my car as I dont use it anymore. I commute every day, throughout the winter and also ride to all my home and site visits.

I dont claim any expenses apart from the odd train ticket.

So yes, I think I should be allowed to carry on….

jon1973
    Free Member

I suspect a lot of bikes purchased on the c2w scheme won’t be used for cycling to work. Anything to encourage people to cycle is a good thing surely.

sofatester
    Free Member

I suspect a lot of bikes purchased on the c2w scheme won’t be used for cycling to work. Anything to encourage people to cycle is a good thing surely.

Exactly!

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

All those brought here are used, the bike sheds are getting very full most days…..

Why just civil servants though ?

Whilst taking part in the scheme they have added lockers, showers, cycle sheds etc, taken away our car parking spaces, reduced what can be claimed on mileage and brought in reduced bus charges…..

I bet its abused in privae companies more than gov….at least they do more than just allow everyone to get cheaper bikes…

MoreCashThanDash

So which agencies do I need to transfer to to get a C2W scheme – we ain’t got one here at HMRC, and apparently I should just be grateful that they can offer me an interest free loan instead!

nuke

apparently I should just be grateful that they can offer me an interest free loan instead!

Yeah, that’s what we’re offered…basically the same as the train season ticket loan. TBH its so complicated and questions concerning it vary depending on who you speak with that I’ve never bothered.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Swadey – agreed, pity we dont have one, hopefully they’ll sort it soon!!! I think they’re reviewing it.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s a shame that you have to go cap in hand to your employer to benefit from this scheme.

aracer
    Free Member

Why does it make any difference whether people buying bikes on C2W not to commute on are civil servants or working for private companies? You do know that it doesn’t actually cost the company (or the civil service) money to run the scheme – they actually save money on NI contributions, which should be enough to cover the running costs of the scheme?

Of course people buying fun bikes on the scheme cost the taxpayer money, but that’s the same whoever they work for.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘civil servants and the c2w scheme’ is closed to new replies.