Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Chromecast V apple tv ? What do you have ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Having now tried both (borrowed apple tv) and bought chromecast yesterday they do the same thing but they don’t ?!?!

Apple tv mirrors everything which is good but yet the chromecast doesn’t (does if you have an android) but with an ipad/iphone its app city… a bit annoying is that Chrome wont cast from ipad etc but does from macbook !

Any tips for getting a webpage to mirror/cast from ipad to tv ?

what do you have ? think of products?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chromecast, android and XBMC on a media PC.
    Chromecast does what I need it to do and I’m starting to pick stuff up through the play store.

Can you install Chrome for the Ipad?
    there are also some other casting apps available.

Like it as an idea, light weight and simple, casting the you tube app etc. is simple and easy. In contrast a friend was trying to find a you tube video to play via apple tv, the search didn’t return it (despite it being returned on the ipad search) it wasn’t mobile enabled so in the end we couldn’t play it mirrored or via apple TV.

For me though the winner is the media PC with XBMC and win 7 on it as for anything not supported there is a full Version of windows there.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Yes there’s chrome for iPad iphone but theres no casting allowed. Bit rubbish in that respect

M6TTF
    Free Member

ipad, and jailbroken Apple TV2 running XBMC and Mash Up. ace

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bit rubbish in that respect

I bet Google are working hard to rectify that glaring omission 😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have a jailbroken v2 ATV running XBMC which is great and on the other TV a Raspberry Pi also running XBMC.
    i’m not sure I’d bother with a v3 unless it could be jailbroken – which I don’t think they can.
    Thought about a chromecast but can’t see what it would do that we cannot already do (we’re an iPhone family).
    Media centre’s seem very ’90s and I wouldn’t dream of running something that power hungry for media duties when there are better options available.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

for reference the media centre is a low powered PC that just ticks away under the TV silently and after nearly 3 years thats all it’s done. 90’s is a little harsh….

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s still Windows though so I’m not going to forgive you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Apple TV3 (current model), have two of them very very good. All mac ecosystem phone/pad/computer so really useful to stream stuff to ATV like midweek minimovies etc. Also really like that my iTunes library is available on ATV stand alone so I can watch films or listen to music I have bought/rented. Have my photo stream available too which is cool for screen saver.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Haven’t tried the Apple TV, but I’ve been really impressed by the Chromecast.
    We are in general an Apple household, but with Plex running on the Mac and various apps on the iPad (Plex, Youtube, RedBull) able to cast I don’t see any need for an Apple TV.
    Plex also streams my iTunes library.
    It also helps that I picked up the Chromecast for £18 a couple of months ago.
    When time (and finances) allow I may have to set up a NAS server to share all of our media around the house.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@thetallpaul – you aren’t missing that much, just the stand alone ability of the ATV to access your library, eg to connect to the computer and play a movie/album without needing to go to the computer. You could wait and see what the new ATV will be like, if it has an app store etc and price is still reasonable you could “upgrade”/switch or stay as you are. Chromecast is actually cheaper than the iPhone/iPad to HDMI wire I bought a few years ago (£25) !

iamanobody
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

@iam – seems similar but why take a risk for such a small price difference ? (EDIT: I see they’ve put Chromecast price back up again but it’s still only £30)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

looks like a knockoff chromecast for a couple of quid less, probably better sticking with the chromecast

iamanobody
    Free Member

just wondered tbh

GrahamS

If you have a Smart TV or some other device with a YouTube channel/app on it (e.g. a Wii or other console) then you can Pair it, which allows you to use YouTube on your PC/tablet then tell the paired device to play the same video.

No extra hardware required.

See https://www.youtube.com/pair

thetallpaul
    Free Member

@jambalaya – Computer is usually on anyway with Plex running, so the biggest hassle I have is prying the iPad away from my wife or daughter so I can choose the next thing to listen/watch 😀
    As long as the plex server is working I very rarely have to touch the Mac.
    I understand that the Apple TV can stream from iCloud, so in essence I wouldn’t need the Mac turned on for viewing my library.
    I’ll certainly have a look at the new ATV when it comes out, especially if it has an app store.

Cletus

I have used a Chromecast, AppleTV, Raspberry Pi with XMBC and WDTV.

The best streamer I have found it the Roku Streaming Stick. It does not do screen mirroring but has Netflix, BBC iPlayer, 4od, NowTV, YouTube etc.

It also supports DLNA and Plex

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bought a Chromecast but with a smart TV already (although Panasonic and lacking the apps of Samsung/LG) and a NAS also networked to the TV other than streaming google content (which is brilliant, well at least the free copy of Gravity they gave me) I’m finding it hard to find a use for it.

Also consider Roku, Nexus Media Player (when available), and Amazon TV thingy

iamanobody
    Free Member

Got a raspberry pi here – how do i stream Iplayer/Youtube using that??

iamanobody
    Free Member

so in simpleton terms – what do i do?
    download and install xbmc
    then download the add on??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Follow the instructions on XBMC for how to set it up on the Rasp Pi then the instructions for add ons were in the link.

MrSmith
    Free Member

As the Apple TV has an optical out would it be possible for me to stream my iTunes library from an apple time capsule (connected via Ethernet) and have the optical digital out connected to a standalone dac that’s part of my hifi and then navigate the iTunes using the apple remote and the TV screen?

Milkie
    Free Member

I have a ATV2 Jailbreak and a Chromecast and had a Pi with XBMC, this is now a Retro Emulator which is pretty awesome. 😉

If you have an Amazon Prime Account, then don’t get the Chromecast, you cannot play Prime Instant to the Chromecast at the moment.

Order of goodness:
    ATV2 JB – Does everything, doesn’t go wrong and AirPlay everything
    ChromeCast – Nice but no Amazon, can only Cast most things, rubbish WiFi, buggy
    XBMC – UI is pretty rubbish, I want pictures not text (eg iPlayer)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@MrSmith – yes I think so but you might need a computer in the middle. Does the time capsule have just the library on it, ie it’s not actually running iTunes ? If not you’ll need your computer turned on and then the ATV can access the library through that – you don’t need to do anything on the computer, the ATV can drive it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got chromecast, it does what it says on the tin for netflix and youtube, the screen mirroring is a bit rubbish though, video’s are very juddery as the phone has to render it, then transmit to the router, and back to the chromecast (whereas dedicated apps stream direclty to the chromecast).

I only really use it for netflix/iplayer so it’s great.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yes the time capsule just has the music on it and doesn’t run iTunes. I can have the macbook running in the background if needed. I used to do something similar for audio only with an airport express but it meant you couldn’t surf the Internet and stream at the same time. Now having an ipad means it’s not crucial as one I device can handle the music and the other for web, was thinking the Apple TV looked a good idea for watching adult art movies netflix etc as well as doing decent audio streaming (I see it’s limited to 320kbs which is fine as I use vinyl if I want an immersive audio experience)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Chromecast V apple tv ? What do you have ?’ is closed to new replies.