Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Chris king eventually update their headsets
  • sslowpace
    Free Member

From Bikeradar. Looks like CK will be using a tapered split ring in 2011. So, has the patent/royalty to cane creek ended so they can now freely improve their headset?
    Wonder how long until you can 'upgrade' 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

CK HEADSETS ARE BEST.

tron
    Free Member

So, has the patent/royalty to cane creek ended

It ends on the 29th. It's more or less admitting that you placed profits ahead of technical excellence. Really undermines his marketing in my view.

PJ266
    Free Member

Cool, havent had any real problems with scoring of the steerer personally. Now they really will be the best headsets out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I agree tron, fanbois won't get that though.

sam_underhill

Hopefully we'll be able to retrofit the split ring and therefore mitigate any risk of scoring.

clubber
    Free Member

It's more or less admitting that you placed profits ahead of technical excellence

CK in talking BS shocker.

Some CK BS: http://chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_4

I never saw them write an article explaining why an o-ring is a very poor method of holding the top part of a headset in place

At least now they've finally got a decent design. Wonder if all the current CK owners will be able to 'upgrade'

joolsburger
    Free Member

I've always quite fancied a CK headset, then I realise that the Cane Creeks I use seem to last forever riding in all conditions and cost under 30 quid on the two occasions I've bought them over the last 10 years. Bit of marine grease prior to install and all good.

Seems like a bit of neck charging 100 quid for a two steel bearings and two cups.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe we've all been double bluffed. Perhaps CK put the story of the steerer scoring out there so that when these are released as an upgrade (at what? £25 a pop?) every CK owner will make the upgrade? He's probably turned capacity over to making upgrade kits rather than headsets for the next 6 months.

sam_underhill

I am in agreement that the split ring seems like a better solution for holding thing central. But my CK headset runs super smooth all the time with next to no maintenance, which is a far cry for anything else I've ever used (only ~100mm forks though). So IMHO it is well worth the outlay.

RealMan
    Free Member

Scored steerers are wicked cool anyway

khani
    Free Member

I've bought one once and it scored my steerer (fox 36) so I sold it at a loss'
    They're not having my money twice when it should have been right first time round for that money

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You can't diss king headsets on this forum… Tittylips everywhere.

Rickos
    Free Member

FSA FTW!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've got two, both date back to a lime when 100mm was a long travel fork and have never given me any trouble. One now sits on a bike with fox 36s on the front and while I can see some rubbing on the steerer, it's no more than is evident on my mates Hope headset. Still, I'd guess the upgrade kit will be cheaper than replacing the whole headset with something of a similar quaility so I'll grab a couple when they become available just to put my mind at rest.

khani
    Free Member

FSA FTW!

. +1

Xl2 two years and counting, quarter the price

hora
    Free Member

Scored-steerers rock, they are a badge of wealth. Whereas FSA show your humble means.

clubber
    Free Member

I agree that for many people, the crap o-ring design is a non-issue in the real world. Just as internal headsets are a non-issue in the real world but that doesn't stop CK BSing about them does it…

clubber
    Free Member

Hora – in these days of easy credit (well ok, going back a year or so) having ostenatious items only shows that you're stupid enough to rack up debt 😉

khani
    Free Member

Scored-steerers rock, they are a badge of wealth. Whereas FSA show your humble means.

Its like saying I'M CONSIDERABLY RICHER THAN YOW! 😉

khani
    Free Member

And you've got a sprog now
    You'll find out about humble means in a bit

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Chris king eventually update their headsets’ is closed to new replies.