Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Choices when leaving school?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Morning all. rocket jr is leaving school next year and there are a number of options.

The easy choice is sixth form – same school, same teachers but still ‘school’. My preference is vocational courses at the local college but this seems to be viewed as a dead end and not on the fast track to university. There are also apprenticeships.

Luckily rocket jr is fairly bright but I feel as though the school is brainwashing us into thinking the sixth form/uni option is the only option.

Your opinions and experiences would be most welcome. Cheers

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I guess at lot depends on what he is good at and what he wants to do. There is nothing worse than being pushed/encouraged by a parent/s to do something that you don’t want to do. Does he want to go to Uni? Is it feasible he’ll get in? If that’s what he wants and it’s an achieveable goal, why would you not encourage him to stay on at school?

Garry_Lager

You probably need to weigh it up around the university question. Can you see the wee man enjoying / doing well at uni? He doesn’t have to be really clear about a course or anything, because who is at that age? But if there is any chance of him thriving at uni I’d definitely steer him that way – it’s an amazing opportunity for obvious reasons, but only if he wants / is capable of grasping it.

There is no fast-track to university as such, there’s just a track and a vocational course at the local tech would certainly be off to one side of that. That’s probably where you want to be, though, if you’re not going to get much out of a degree course.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

the school is brainwashing us into thinking the sixth form/uni option is the only option.

I to an extent was a victom of this. I did GCSE’s then A-levels then went to straight to uni on the standard conveyor-belt. On landing at uni I realised that I didn’t really want to be there, so I only lasted six weeks. Came home, got a job for a few years, then went back to uni at age 22 because at that point I knew it was what I wanted to do.

Thing is, I already had the A-levels so that made it easier. Whatever Rocket Jr wants to do (and have you asked him/her?), the key is to not do anything that will make things trickier in the future. If they do think they’ll want to go to uni at some point, getting the A-levels in the bag now might be sensible. They can then choose what to do with them.

rocketman
    Free Member

I wouldn’t make him do anything he doesn’t want to but as a responsible parent I’d like to give him the best advice and he is not old enough to make the right choice on his own.

At the moment he wants to do the sixth form/uni option because everyone else is doing it. I appreciate the value of academic qualifications but I think exposure to the ‘real world’ is important.

I don’t want him to finish uni with a qualification and nothing else.

br
    Free Member

My elder two both took the 6th form route initially; with the oldest now joining the Army half way through his 2nd year (he ‘lost’ the 1st year due to an accident) and the younger starting as an apprentice after Xmas for a family friend half way through his 1st year.

tbh For both of them I think its a better option – but for both it is their decision.

I suppose I’m a bit biased in that I didn’t go to Uni, but do feel that for most kids that Uni is not the answer – especially now with the costs’ they will be lumbered with.

meehaja
    Free Member

I did 6th form bcause I couldn’t think of anything else, then dropped out of uni after 18 months as I had no interest in the topic (Computing).

If I cold do it all again I’d join the navy. Interesting training in things you don’t know you like, plenty of travel, seems a pretty good set up for a job on civvy street (turned my dead end mate into a really good teacher/engineer/salesman) and low chance of getting shot in a hot country.

Its hard, as there is so much pressure when you’re 16 to make choices that affect the rest of your life, a couple of a-levels did help me get where I am now (only because it was an entry requirement, rather than what I studied) and gave me th space to grow up whilst still in the ssafety net of school (having a job/girlfriend/leaving home etc)

rocketman
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies fellas, keep ’em coming

TooTall
    Free Member

rocketman – do you have a degree?

IHN

I appreciate the value of academic qualifications but I think exposure to the ‘real world’ is important.

I don’t want him to finish uni with a qualification and nothing else.

He’s got plenty of time to learn about the ‘real world’, and indeed uni can be very valuable in that respect.

If he’s got the ability to do well at sixth form, why not let him? There’s nothing to say that doing A-levels means you have to go to university and if he’ll be doing them at a time when he wants to be doing them and in an environment where he’s comfortable, surely that’s all for the good?

Plus, lots of uni courses now have business placements, work experience, sandwich years etc, so providing the ‘real-worl’ experience that you sensibly want for him.

On that note, does he have a part-time job? One of the best ways to start to understand the ways of the world IMO

bazzer
    Free Member

I think exposure to the ‘real world’ is important.

He has plenty of time for that. In fact Uni can be the first stage of being independent on the journey to the real world.

lunge

I would suggest he gets some A-Levels first as it is much harder to go back and do them later.

Once he has those he can decide to go to uni or get to work.

alfabus
    Free Member

Does he like bikes?

Contact the mountain bike club at a uni you like the look of and see if you can go and meet up with them. They might be able to give him the low down on what Uni is really like in a way that is very different from his Dad telling him.

Uni is about a lot more than just the course; it is a learning experience in all aspects of life, and is a bloody good way to spend a bunch of years.

Dave
    (5 years at Aberystwyth with 30% of my time spent climbing or biking, 30% of my time spent drinking or eating, 30% of my time spent sleeping and a very optimistic 10% of my time spent doing Software Engineering)

_tom_
    Free Member

I didn’t really know what I wanted to do so I just did 6th form and uni because that’s what most people did. I didn’t really enjoy 6th form and almost dropped out a few times but I still ended up geting a couple of A-Levels and got into uni.. found that the course I’d picked (media production) was really fun and was something I was good at, so I actually put the effort in and got a good grade. Now have a job which is pretty much all the best bits from uni but now I get paid for them, and none of it feels like work 🙂

Not sure if I’d do uni if it was as expensive as it is now, though. A degree isn’t needed for the job I’m doing but it helped give me a good grounding and experience in the subject.

rocketman
    Free Member

rocketman – do you have a degree?

I have a B.Eng in Electronic Engineering but I did it part-time at poly (remember them?) while working full-time.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Hmm, I think it’s a much tougher decision because I presume your son doesn’t have A-levels yet? And these are what you require to get into the University (that you then pay lots of money for) Forgive my ignorance, but I live in Scotland..

I also went through route of Standard Grades, Higher, Advanced Highers (not everyone does this in Scotland but it was the norm in my school, and I was doing A-level art, which I wanted to get into art college). I had never considered any other option, as it was just taken as a given that you get all your grades and then go onto university.

I don’t want to speak on someone else’s behalf too much, but the boyfriend didn’t enjoy school – he managed to get the grades he needed for University in S5, and then deferred his entry by a year. During this year he worked at a local garage, and I get the impression it was immensely useful for him. He learned valuable work skills, how to speak to people etc. (sounds silly but school to uni students don’t have a lot of this experience)
    Given that he wasn’t that interested in staying at school I would imagine it was a much better option for him and I personally think it shows in his attitude to work – (even though he wasn’t perhaps naturally gifted in academia and traditional subjects, he applied his intelligence and did well at uni)

Maybe it’s because I’m at art college, but I do think there are a lot of students who don’t really know why they’re there and what they want to do. Obviously there’s nothing wrong with that, but I don’t think University is always the best environment to challenge the ‘coasting’ mind-set that a lot of us seem to have. I personally found my first university experience overwhelming and had to take a few years out to understand myself better – I believe I’m a much more focused individual for it.

I don’t want any of that to sound too negative though! Lots of people go straight to Uni and it works really well for them, but I think it’s a really good idea to consider alternatives if there’s anything your son feels he wants to explore.

TooTall
    Free Member

I just wanted to understand your point of view – always helps in this sort of emotive thing.

I didn’t go to uni. I’m very happy with who I am, where I am and where I’m going. I don’t regret not going to uni, but looking back, it would have been a better thing for me – if you can understand that. This will offend a few people, but I believe a degree to be a lesser qualification than when ‘we were kids’. By lesser, I mean that more people have them and the expectation is to have one. Your kid won’t be in a bubble at uni and it is certainly down to the parents as to how they develop then as well. There are more than enough holidays to learn about life and there are more than enough clubs and societies to get some good life-developing experience.
    You did a degree the hard way. Let your bairn do it at the easiest time – if that is what they want to do.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I didn’t really like the school environment so left at 16 and did a vocational course. Although I got good GCSEs, I didn’t do too well at college – mainly through discovering booze and girls I think!

I then spent two years working abroad before starting a HND and moving up from that to complete a degree. I now work in IT.

I did a business and an IT course a college because I thought that’s what I’d need to go out and make some money. At school I was good at maths and science.

With the benefit of hindsight and the last 15 years in the ‘real world’ I really, really wish I had stayed at school and completed A levels in something I was good at, gone on to uni to do the same and got a job in something I could do. I constantly try to be good at my job now but I don’t think I ever really manage it.

CaptJon
    Free Member

rocketman – Member
    I wouldn’t make him do anything he doesn’t want to but as a responsible parent I’d like to give him the best advice and he is not old enough to make the right choice on his own.

At the moment he wants to do the sixth form/uni option because everyone else is doing it. I appreciate the value of academic qualifications but I think exposure to the ‘real world’ is important.

What is the real world you refer to? There is no reason why a uni student won’t be exposed to the pressures and experiences those not at uni live through. More than half the students i teach have jobs, struggle with money and have responsibilities beyond the lecture room. The ones living in their own care-free uni world are the ones who have parents that buy them everything. The former are generally the hardest working students and will be the most likely to get a job after they graduate.

What about a-levels at a college? They generally have a different style of teaching with greater emphasis on the student’s own learning. In some ways it is a good middle ground between school and university.

rocketman
    Free Member

I believe a degree to be a lesser qualification than when ‘we were kids’

totally agree. Back in the day the actual subject was somewhat irrelevant but it proved you could work hard and study for a reason, rather than just the sake of it.

But things change. My biggest concern is that I feel as though school is putting him on a conveyor belt and if he doesn’t do this now then he won’t be able to do that later etc etc

jonba
    Free Member

I went down the A-level, university route. It worked for me an millions of others, so try not to let your own misgivings prejudice his opinions.

It worked for me because I find academic subjects easy and interesting. I would challenge the idea that university is not the “real world”. It is very much a part of the real world and your education goes well beyond your course.

After finding out what he wants to do I’d decide based on what his A level choices might be. If they are for proper subjects (English, Maths, a science, Geography, history etc.) then go for it. If they are media studies, david beckham and surfing then maybe he should not be pursuing education through academia.

Most important thing I can say is that he needs to enjoy it. From GCSE to graduating I spent 6 more years in Education. Most people who dropped out of Uni didn’t do so because they weren’t up to it, it’s just that they weren’t interested as they chose the wrong course etc.

Finally, does doing A-levels remove any options? He could go back to a vocational course after or he could go on to university, might open many more doors than it closes.

CaptJon
    Free Member

This will offend a few people, but I believe a degree to be a lesser qualification than when ‘we were kids’

A gross generalisation.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Rocketman I did the A level/uni route mainly because my mates were doing it. I didn’t like the course (Mech Engineering), spent a lot of money on drink and left after a year. I eventually got myself sorted out and decided I wanted to work in construction. While working full time I took a correspondance degree in Qunatity Surveying. It meant that I could earn a decent wage while studying and no debt was incurred. Best thing I have ever done.

rocketman
    Free Member

There is no reason why a uni student won’t be exposed to the pressures and experiences those not at uni live through

Would you care to elaborate on this? My impression of full-time uni life is that is an academic cocoon (no offence intended)

CaptJon
    Free Member

For starters most students live away from home, and after the first year are in a shared house. They have to deal with the same bills and chores as you and me. They’ll move house three times, negotiate with landlords, and learn how to get on with people they share with. Loads of students have jobs because student loans often don’t stretch beyond paying rent – this teaches them the value of work and time management. For people who have just left home doing all that while studying for a degree is a steep learning curve, and one they wouldn’t get living at home and working in the ‘real world’.

Some parents only realise what they are letting their kids in for on the day they drop them off at halls on the first day. I’m constantly amazed at how much students mature in three years. It is a fantastic thing to see and the vast majority leave uni prepared for life.

rocketman
    Free Member

Hmm interesting…thanks for that

thomthumb
    Free Member

What about a-levels at a college? They generally have a different style of teaching with greater emphasis on the student’s own learning. In some ways it is a good middle ground between school and university.

this is very true. in the first few weeks at uni it was quite obvious who had done a-levels in a school uniform.

i totally agree with the conveyor belt thing. realised on my placement year at uni that there was a whole world of jobs that school had not told us about.

rocketman
    Free Member

What about a-levels at a college?

Must admit that sounds like a plan

ScotlandTheScared

As someone who works at a university I would agree with the comments above that say uni is still part of the ‘real world’. Its a different type of education from school and college too, where the students are encouraged to think for themselves and look after themselves. For me, university was about growing up, finding my feet, figuring out what I wanted to do as a career, getting an education, making friends, doing sports etc etc. I.e. it is not just about getting a degree at all.

However, uni only really works well for someone if they put the effort in. If they do that, they not only get a good degree to stand out from the crowd a bit, but they also build their transferable skills (e.g. communication, computer literacy, numeracy, english skills etc.) so that they can then go into a career that suits them. You might do a degree in a particular subject – that doesnt mean you’d be stuck in that subject forever more.

I would not necessarily say that the uni environment is closeted, it is more of a ‘community’ and every student has different interactions within that community. Furthermore, subjects can be highly practical (e.g. engineering) or highly artistic and there really is something for everyone.

Encourage your son to visit a university open day or two to see what its like. Be pro-active about this now – dont wait for a school to organise a visit. I did – and I took my parents. My parents were as interested as I was since they never went to uni themselves. Perhaps such a visit would open your own eyes too. If he is thinking of uni, and if it can be afforded, I would also encourage him to go somewhere that is quite far away from family and school friends – the temptation fo home comforts is too much for some and can be a significant distraction.

In summary, university is great – it teaches you how to live your life in a way that schools and colleges cannot do. And go to open days (did I say that already?).

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I joined the Army.

For me, at the time, it was the best thing to do.

I’ve no regrets, and to be fair, spent the next 12 years loving it.

If I hadn’t broken my neck + back, I’d still be in.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Rocketman.

It sounds like you have a problem with his school?. The whole, ‘he needs real world experience’ is a load of bollocks. Not once have you said what he wants. You’ve even said he’s not old enough to make his own decisions? Even if he spends a year doing A levels, while he figures out exactly what he wants, then what is wrong with that? He’s young.

What sort of grades is he likely to get in his A levels? What does he want to do? These are whats important. You seem to have views which are a little out of date.

Would you have him down a pit while doing nightclasses in Phrmaceutical Chemistry? 🙂

ScotlandTheScared

Also – looking at our web site (Durham), our next university open days are in the summer (i.e. just before your son would start applying) – these are designed so that potential students can see what university would be like. Then, there are post-application open days when students can come if they have been made an offer. You can often arrange individual departmental visits too by contacting the departments directly, but often the university open days are the best ones to come to as you get a feel for the whole system.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Degrees aren’t a lesser qualification than they used to be. It’s just that there is more oppurtunity for people to get one nowadays.

benjbish

It seems that doing A Levels straight after GCSEs is easier as you’ve been recently using the study skills needed. School-based A levels allow more structured study for students whereas colleges offer a more responsible approach. Whichever is best for the individual works best. It’s easier to continue with education than to leave and get back in. He could do the vocational courses once A Levels have been finished.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Luckily rocket jr is fairly bright

This is going to sound extremely rude but what do you mean but by rocket jr. is fairly bright ?

If he was fairly bright why would nt you want him to do A levels ?

Do you actually mean “rocker jr. is completely average academically(neither good nor bad)” and you dont think he’s going to stand out from the others once he has A-level/degree . So he’d better doing something else/having experience to make him stand out ?

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Going through the same thing with youngest catastrophe. He is not academically enthusiastic and I can’t see 6th form being a happy route for him. However, he has no clue what he wants to do career / work wise. Having had a look into it there is also the option of BTech qualifications which, if you pick the right one and get Distinctions, are considered the equivalent of 3 A levels so that would leave the window open to Uni. He is curently considering either the sport one or the music one. Eldest catastrophe embarked on the A level route and providing she gets the required grades will be off to Uni in September.

I think there is a measure of truth in the statement that degrees “ain’t wot they used to be” simply because so many more students have been shoved onto the higher education conveyor belt. My working epxerience with a number of graduates is that there are still some very smart, very intelligent students coming through the system, but there are also a significant number who appear to be remain utterly clueless about life and indeed the subject they allegedly studied for 3 years.

miketually
    Free Member

I’d decide based on what his A level choices might be. If they are for proper subjects (English, Maths, a science, Geography, history etc.) then go for it. If they are media studies, david beckham and surfing then maybe he should not be pursuing education through academia.

Firstly, ignore any advice from people who cite media studies as a non-subject.

Secondly, talk to your son. The best choice is the one that’s best for him. I teach in a sixth form college and the students we get who are only there because their parents made them have a crap time.

For some, a school sixth form is the best option, for others a sixth form college and for others it’s a vocational course (though there are now more vocational A levels too) or straight into work. The same applies when looking at degrees.

_tom_
    Free Member

My impression of full-time uni life is that is an academic cocoon (no offence intended)

I think it is a bit. Yes in years 2/3 you have to sort out a house etc but its still very much in a uni bubble imo. I didn’t really like that bit of it and I definitely much prefer having a fun job and getting paid, rather than being constantly in debt and worrying about money. There are some people who I went to uni with who are still there “working” in the student union etc, seems like they’re too lazy or scared to leave their safe uni bubble, which I think is a bit sad really.

Garry_Lager

Degrees aren’t a lesser qualification than they used to be. It’s just that there is more oppurtunity for people to get one nowadays.

It’s hard to argue that their impact is not lessened nowadays, which is what the original point was about. Five times as many people have a degree, and the average class is now a 2:1 (used to be a 2:2). So it is lesser in that respect – it doesn’t command the same respect or open the same doors as it used to.

In terms of quality, though, I agree that degrees have not reduced in quality at all – they’re actually far, far better than the old days. Standards and transparency of teaching is massively improved, and an emphasis on transferable skills and the workplace in general is part and parcel of most courses. Amazes me that I didn’t do a single presentation as part of my degree, and that was just in the early 90s.

To argue it the other way, we have paid a price at the top end for this broadening out of the degree structure. The really bright students no longer get the very deep learning available in the classic system – drop a metric ton of learning on their heads, if you don’t like it there’s the door, and when you’ve finished that here’s two tonnes more to learn. They’ll be an exam at the end but I can’t be arsed telling you what it will be about. No question that strong students flourished in this environment.

CaptJon
    Free Member

The key thing to remember is that becuase the way students learn at uni is so different to school (learning rather than being taught), GCSEs and A-levels aren’t a perfect predictor of how someone will do at uni. They are memory tests and a measure of past performance, not necessarily an indicator of how well someone will do at uni.

One could suggest that out/edge of town campus universities could very well feel like a cocoon. In your first year there is no reason to leave campus, and one might become institutionalised. If you have to travel on public transport to a city centre uni students quickly appreciate there are other people living in the city as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Choices when leaving school?’ is closed to new replies.