Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Chilterns – Dusty by now?
  • thepurist

Any locals got an update – thinking of heading that way this weekend

Ta

nickc

Yep, headed out in couple in minutes to see how many footpaths I can ride in the space of 3 hours. I fully expect not to have to clean my bike on my return, and to wash out on some dusty corners. If not, I want my money back.

Oh, and if there aren't any nice arses in jodhpurs I'll feel cheated…

thepurist

Dusty trails AND jodhpurs???? Decision made!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lyons
    Free Member

Haha. Where ate you nickc? It's bone dry in ashridge and the ridgeway by ivenhoe beacon st the moment 🙂

james-o
    Free Member

yep, put the race-king 2.2's on fridday eve and it was bone dry and fast over the weekend, last night's rain won't have done much.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Yep, tWas dry over our way last night

ddmonkey

Yep dusty round my way 😀

forgotmename
    Free Member

Yep its very hard, bumpy n dusty out there, done 68km ride there on sunday from just outside princes risboro, fantastic ride, saw 4 or 5 puddles in some woods, but that was all.

grunty
    Free Member

The chilterns are fantastic at the moment. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen them so dry this time of year – but then I do have a short memory so someone is bound to come along shortly and correct me.

Came back on Sunday with a filthy chain from the dust so it must be time to switch lubes.

oldgit
    Free Member

Aprils have been good for years now.

boobs

Was like a race track this morning, still grinning :^)

ddmonkey

I think we've had dusty trails this time of year the last three or four years running. Which indicates to me that July and August will be a washout again!

soobalias
    Free Member

last time we had an april that was this dry, it was quickly followed by two years of rain (summer 07 to end 08)

just back from aston hill, bone dry, clouds of dust everywhere.

Murray

Even the bogs are starting to dry out. The main problem is areas where the horses have left their hoof marks and they've dried hard.

soobalias
    Free Member

tut tut murray, its up to you to ride all the summers trails loads while they dry out to prevent this happening!

.duncan
    Free Member

dry and dusty if you needed another voice 😉 riding very fast.

ntreid
    Free Member

+1 (Wallingford area). Drier than a camel's todger. Although I'm not sure whether it's dust or ash on the trails.

Forecast is for dry weather until Sunday, then showers.

nickc

'tis dry had a marvelous ride of mostly linked together cheeky bits with the granny ring saddle-up-the-arse lung baiter that is the Stoner climb, and even that was a go-er today.

Have you seen the tank trap style barriers they've put along the ridge way? there's a thing, eh?

disappointingly, no nice jodhpur action though. 😥

br
    Free Member

65k (plus ladies/kids stuff) out of Princes Risborough on Saturday, what more do you need?

http://trailbreak.co.uk/southern_100s/

pedalhead
    Free Member

Absolutely gorgeous going east ish from Watlington last weekend. Can't wait to get back out there!

.duncan
    Free Member

Good riding around Princes Risborough and Great Missenden, more hills than my local Ashridge area.

soobalias
    Free Member

that trailbreak will be good, gutted im off to Hull 🙁

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

I must've seen 30 people in several groups in three hours around Nettlebed last night. Word is definitely out!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Have you seen the tank trap style barriers they've put along the ridge way? there's a thing, eh?

Where are these nickc?
    another +1 for very fast, dry and dusty trails last night.

cinnamon_girl

Are the bluebells out please?

nickc

Turning left onto Ridgeway from Watlington there's some there, and where it crosses under the M40 at bald hill, some there as well.

oldgit
    Free Member

Woburn/Ashridge/Wendover all A1 at the moment.

nickc

Are the bluebells out please?

Not yet, won't long though

ddmonkey

A few Bluebells just starting to come out around my way, a few early ones peeping but main show still a few weeks off I think.

ddmonkey

See you at the trailbreak on Saturday if you are going, I'll be the muppet on a barry white inbred 🙂 I'll be starting early so I've got a chance of finishing before dark!

cinnamon_girl

Thank you, shall just have to exercise a little patience. 🙂

thepurist

Blimey – I thought it'd be a chance for a quiet ride, but after this thread everyone & their dog's gonna be out there. I've met a Trailbreak out that way once before – they were riding down the smooth tarmac of Haw Lane near Bledlow Ridge as I was riding up it, then they were all riding (or mostly pushing) up the entertaining BW descent on the other side as I was going down… so think I'll give that one a miss this time!

ntreid
    Free Member

Cinnamon, I saw one or two bluebells coming out on Saturday. And no, that's not a euphemism.

nickc, I assumed the tank-traps were to prevent terrorists from attacking our trails.

<Must….resist….suicide Marzocchi bombers….pun…..>

thepurist

Quick access question for locals – is it possible to get through Turville Park from the road East of it to the BW that's to the west of it (eg BW/track junction at about 735912).

thepurist

Anybody? Looks like a track/road up to the farm on the OS map but from Google Earth it looks like it may be a bit cheeky in a hoity-toity get-orf-my-laaaand-or-ill-set-the-dogs-onya sort of way.

cinnamon_girl

Just checking, there isn't an event there on Sunday is there? Just in case I have some energy left over from the Purbecks ride. 😉

thepurist – wouldn't advise upsetting local landowners. :roll

singletracksurfer

thepurist – never ridden it, but sure you could sneak through if its not a big group.

Instead, depending which way you're headed, but I'd go north, down a great descent on the bridleway at Turville Heath, to a road (747/919) and go left uphill (sneaky track on right of road) to Northend.

thepurist

Ah heck, I'll give it a go… what's the worst that could happen?

STS – I'm piecing together a route that gets me from Maidensgrove over toward Ibstone so was planning to do that descent anyway – wall of death round the corners IIRC? (CMA – obviously with due care to walkers, horses, dogs etc… )

atthesummit
    Free Member

Will be at the start of the trail break on the Summit MTB stand for a bit dishing out flyers then heading over to feed and water stop to dish out drinks, lark about and wonder why im not riding instead.

All the guys that have been out marking the course have come back dusty so i would say its about the best its going to be all year…

buffalobill
    Free Member

the purist – not sure you can – thought there was a big set of gates/ park entrance, rather than just a farm track.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns – Dusty by now?’ is closed to new replies.