Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Childseat or Trailer: Tougher to pull?
  • jorgechx
    Free Member

I have a child seat and as my baby is getting bigger I am considering buying a trailer. My "problem" is that I moved to Switzerland and this beautiful country is full of Mountains and very uphill paths everywhere … therefore I would like to know what it is tougher to pull: chil dseat or trailer? With the child seat mounted on my bike I must confess that I can pretty much go everywhere (the first two weeks were tough but after the initial training my legs responded very well and no complains). My question is not about handling or security but it is just about the pulling so if one of you has ever experienced child seat and trailer I would appreciate his advice.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have been using a Chariot trailer for my kids for the last five years. They do need a bit of extra pulling but nothing a bit of fitness can't manage. I have climbed up some pretty steep mountains with mine on my SS bike too. Damn hard work but got there in the end.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Trailer is the safer option, always used to scare the s*** out of me when a operated a cycle hire centre with kids in child seats and getting dropped on the floor, and the kid not having a helmet. go with the trailer

owenfackrell
    Free Member

If there is no wind then its not much difference but as soon as there is the drag of the trailer is noticable (even with out the kid in) That said i find mine better than the seat as is only drag on th ebike rather than the extra weight up high which became noticeable as she got bigger. I have yet to find anything i can't climb with it on the back though this is why i have a triple on my road bike. You will just have to get used to going slower and taking longer to stop.

stumpyjon

I've dragged both trailer and tag along up some pretty steep climbs, it is harder but not impossible. Would rather have that the unpredictability of a kid flailing around in a seat behind me.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I used a tag along bike for a while, advantages less drag, but "floppier", the folding cross bar means too much flex – way too much flex.

Always disliked the concept of a child seat. Too scary if the bike goes over, helmet or not on the child.

takisawa2

I've had both. Trailer is easier. Hated the way the seat upset the bikes balance & I was PETRIFIED of the bike going over with the little one so high up. Pulling the trailer with a road bike, double chainset could do with being a triple as even modest hills become hard work, but that's with two boys, 2yrs & 4yrs, on board in full winter gear with nursery bags etc. Pulling the trailer with a road bike is literally half the effort of an MTB with knobblies. If your using an MTB get some slicks.

Now looking forward to getting an xtracycle. Trailer is nice but bulky. Also having to go through some traffic now so worried on the safety aspects. xtracycle means I could nip through gullies etc, to avoid the busy bits. (Right or wrong I dont give a toss where the safety of me & mine are concerned).
    Trailer did tip over once, off-camber corner & the eldest decided to throw his weight the wrong way. Went over very easily. He was strapped in with 5 point harnesses so was safe, & kept asking me to do it again!!. I was shaken up, had to walk for a bit. Wont go above 12-15mph now.

jorgechx
    Free Member

Thank you all. After reading your responses it seems that trailer is the easiest option in terms of pulling and climbing 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Childseat or Trailer: Tougher to pull?’ is closed to new replies.