Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Children’s names! HELP!
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With our non-identical twins due in the next month or so, we are really beginning to struggle with ideas for names – below are some names we have been knocking around – does anyone have any other ideas for names along similar lines???????? We desperately need inspiration!!!

We don’t want ‘matching’ names (ie Jack and Jill; Lambert & Butler) but I like names that illiterate ie (as our surname is Danford) Dexter Danford. But we can’t have Daniel or Danielle as close family already have those names.

Basically we need 4 x girls and 4 x boys possibles so we have first and middle names for 2 girls, two boys or one of each.

Our possibles so far…
    GIRLS
    Evie
    Annie
    Charlotte
    Joely
    Rosie
    Masie
    Esme

BOYS
    Jay
    Dylan
    Ashton
    Evan
    Euan
    Charlie
    Dexter

uplink
    Free Member

Dexter Danford sounds like a pr0n name to me

FWIW – our 17 yr old is called Evie – if you believe that kids names affect how they behave, I’d stay away from that one too
    on the other hand – it could be that all 17 yr old girls are like that 😉

roper
    Free Member

How about “Roper”?

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

hmmm. I like the name Dexter, but I’m not a huge fan of alliteration myself… would you consider naming your son Felix? (I’ve always liked that name 🙂 )

As for girl names, I like Evie. Other suggestions:

Erin Masie Danford,
    or Elinor (Ellie Danford) ?

Joxster
    Free Member

waldorf-statler" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

Waldorf and Statler Danford 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d always suggest choosing the full version of a name. So, Elinor rather than Ellie. That way, you can abbreviate as you see fit. Plus, in later life, it can be an advantage to have a serious/full name as well as a nickname/abbreviation to separate work and private things.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

CaptFlash – aye, I’d go with that too. It’s always nice to be able to have a nickname.
    Just don’t do what my parents did – they let me think my name was Katy for the first 10 years or so of my life, and only then decided to tell me my name is actually Kathryn, but they’d just thought Katy was a nicer name for a wee girl.

My mum went around telling everybody I was changing my name because I wanted to be more ‘grown-up’ – was all very embarrassing..

yossarian
    Free Member

I would say that you should NOT stress about naming your children – it seems SOOOOOOOO important right now but ultimately its a fairly minor cog in a much bigger wheel. That is unless you call them something ‘orrible, so just be sensible.

I suggest that you give them one sensible full length name and one quirkier more personal name, probably the middle name. That way you and they can call themselves either as time/preference suits.

Do a bit of digging into your family tree, it can throw up a few surprises and may give you some inspiration.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Evie is the one we are most certain on – glad others like it too 🙂 Just hope we have a girl now 🙂

Can’t do Ellie either. We have WAY too many friends with children and all the ‘best’ ones have gone!

trailmonkey

Jeremy and Trisha

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fanny it is then – it is the longest running girls name on my dad’s side.

Actually – we only need 3 boys names as we know we are middle-naming our first (if any) boy John after my dad who sadly passed away in January. I would quite like it as a first name and we MAY end up doing that anyway.

GW
    Free Member

Dan Ford Danford?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stanford is a first name too…

mrsflash
    Free Member

Stanford Danford, I like it!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Evie is a lovely name getting very popular.
    Ella, Erin? Unfortunately Annie I just think of the ginger girl with curly hair!!
    Euan great name .. other Welsh names, Geraint, Gethin?
    Girls: Seren (welsh for star).

Just some more thoughts for you

However a mate of mine picked 4 names for girls and boys then when he son was born called him something completely different as she said he didn’t look like any of the names they had suggested!!!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am liking Felix. It doesn’t really abbreviate though…
    And Ella has gone on my list.

I really doubt I would get Stanford past Mrs Mastiles though.

🙂

steve-g
    Free Member

Mine is due in 2 weeks and if it’s a girl we are going to call her eloise/ellouise then shorten it to ella for her nickname.

For a boy I like the idea of christening him Robert and then calling him Bobby but the missus won’t allow it as she wants to call him Jack

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Elouise – I love that name! Can I put it on my list???? (My initial idea was for Eadie – so I could have two girls names from songs :-))

Put her off Jack – it is the most popular boys name at the moment (girl’s is Olivia) so there will be loads of them at school.

Rich
    Free Member

Dana (pronounced D-ar-na or D-ay-na) for girl.

Devlyn for boy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Talking of shortening… My brother’s eldest is Jessica and it has eventually (after nearly 12 years) been shortened to Jake (from JK).

Bizarrely I really like it as a pet name for a girl – it really suits her.

steve-g
    Free Member

Yeah I know, the most popular boys name every year for the last 15 years!!!! She doesn’t care and the only other name she will consider is Stephen/Steve but that’s my name and I think naming your children after you is a bit strange

Rich
    Free Member

Or a good regal name like Richard. 😉

Can be shortened to Dickie Danford.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can be shortened to Dickie Danford

That was mine/brothers’/dad’s nicknames at our respective schools 🙂 (No idea why!!!)

andrew
    Free Member

Alliteration be damned.

Girls:
    Persephone
    Lilith
    Esther
    Demeter

Boys:
    Fraser
    Lawrence
    Oscar
    Dionysius

(to be treated as pairs: eg. Persephone and Fraser)

Sortd.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

My wife chose both our kids names and i love em. Lily & Ben

I hated the girls name when we were discussing them but the minute she was born it was just right in some way.

As mentioned above, dont get hung up on it. Have the ideas there and i bet one will fit when they come.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I like Oscar – but my brother has a dog with that name!

Rich
    Free Member

Poppy.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

“Danger” should be their middle names, that would be classic!!

DezB
    Free Member

Go for something unusual – my family all have girls around 2 years old called Emily, Eve and Imogen and I get them all mixed up! (The only one I don’t is called…. Star!)

lister

Edward?

Can I also make 2 requests?
    1. no boys names beginning with J, 90% of them are little poos
    2. a girls name that doesn’t end in an ‘ee’ sound would be great and fairly rare*

*disclaimer: i work with different groups of primary school children every week, and these sweeping statement are based on 8 years of evidence collection! 😉

StuF

My girls are called

Bethan Alice
    Esther Rose
    Iona Beatrice

and my lad is called Owen

– stand at the back door and shout the chosen name and see if it sounds ok , you’ll be doing that a lot 😀

yamyamblade
    Free Member

My 4 kids are named

Luke Anthony 10
    Amy Jane 6
    Finley Joseph 4
    Mia Casey 1 month

Names we had kicking about were

Gene
    Fraser
    Billy
    Harvey
    Dylan

and my partner liked Jobey for a boy but that never made it past the first cut

Mia was chosen cause the kids couldnt wait to shout “Mia come here!!

My other stupid theory but it has worked for 100% 4 times is the name you agree on first is the sex of the baby, yeah I know it’;s daft but as I say it worked for all 4 of mine!

All the best anyway

Earl
    Free Member

I wanted Lucifer – meaning ‘Bringer of Light’. But the meaning has been hijacked and changed by one of the religious groups.

So I call him Dudecifer now.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

the name you agree on first is the sex of the baby

But with twins?….

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my wife would’nt let me name either of our children. i wanted to call my daughter ‘fanny’ and for my son, after i had gone through a mid west/amish style old testament name phase was (and i’m not joking)..

rush
    randal
    (for the 2 above you need to know that his surname is randall)
    rocker (he would make a great rocker)
    and my fave ‘badger’.

so i just name the pets. youngest cat is ‘sausage the puma cat’ and i’m after a chinese bantham so i can call it ‘chicky chan’.

GW
    Free Member

My other stupid theory but it has worked for 100% 4 times is the name you agree on first is the sex of the baby, yeah I know it’;s daft but as I say it worked for all 4 of mine!

me too 😕

crispybacon
    Free Member

Richard & Judy

Eric & Ernie

David & Victoria

Dennis & Vinnie 😉

bumley
    Free Member

For a girl

Regan
    Amber
    Brooke
    Molly

For a boy

Thomas
    Tristan
    Aidan
    Alfie

Or you could just name them Niki & Mark, after me and my twin brother!!;-)

loddrik
    Free Member

Seven or Soda….

augeri
    Free Member

alliteration rules 🙂 Contribution from the editorial team here

Davina
    Diana
    Delyth
    Dionne
    Daphne
    Dominic
    Darcy

Bit short on boys! Sorry 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Children’s names! HELP!’ is closed to new replies.