Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Child Carrier/Backpacks?
  • Eddie_fb
    Free Member

Me and the Missus have been looking today, at child carriers, carrying the baby on our backs. Anybody use this type of system?
    We’ve been looking for light weight, collapsibility, maybe a stand so baby Arthur can sit in it?
    Bit confused, as we’ve seen so many systems, but a lot seem massive, and we don’t really need a huge backpack?

Any recommendations, or otherwise?

Cheers, Eddie

paulosoxo
    Free Member

we’re using a Deuter Kid Comfort, It is quite a size, but Ollie is nearly 3 and still gets in there quite often. Very comfortable for long days out.

moog77
    Free Member

macpac possum exellent, had one for my wee girl for around 3 years, c/w a rain cover and handy little mirror to c if theyre ok, and neck cushion to sleep on, brilliant , bought it for around 200, sold 3 years later for 100, looked brand new, couldnt recommend enough……………

DickBarton

LittleLife Voyager – not cheap but has ‘extras’, very comfy to wear all day and our daughter seems to like it. Feels very light on (without child) and sits comfortably on your back – can be adjusted for differing back lengths. Seems to have plenty storage for the child’s supplies.

Once on with child it feels very secure and s/he can get a good view of what is around them. You do feel slightly top heavy though to begin with, but after a few minutes of moving around you adjust to it.

It is pricey but typically the wife insisted on the best…money well spent so far in my view.

lister

little life cross country here, it’s great, and the adjustable back means that it fits me and mrslister really easily.

we looked at the ones with the fold out legs, but we decided we wouldn’t use it as they are still top heavy and the potential for falling over with a writhing toddler was quite high.

postierich
    Free Member

Littlelife very comfy and sturdy,well made
    I,ve used it for cycling as well

DickBarton

Forgot to say, this doesn’t fold away…it is rigid…also isn’t self-standing so you have to put a foot in the anchor point (which is good as you then don’t forget that they are in it and knock it over!)

Too_Punk_To_Funk
    Free Member

Got one of these which I have found very good. Bought it because I like their packs, s figured this would fit me the same. It does and works well.

BillOddie

Macpac are the daddies.

Same harness as their big proper Trekking packs.

Superb quality and bomber construction.

Our Vamoose folds flat.

Garry_Lager

A lot of them are good nowadays, good second hand market on ebay as well. We have the deuter kid comfort II – you will not go wrong with this. Also liked the look of the bush babys.

If you’re using it for any proper hiking, you really need a sturdy backpack like the ones in the photos above. They have sophisticated straps that allow you to distribute the weight very effectively. Trying to carry a wee man in a lightweight baby bjorn type carrier is OK for a bit, but would get seriously uncomfortable on longer walks.

Our lad is a healthy 11 kilos (He’s not even one yet :)), and it’s a good workout taking him out for a hike. We went for a circuit of Haweswater (about 10 miles) and it nearly finished me off. I’ve not hiked with a heavy pack for years, though, so am hoping you get used to it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Child Carrier/Backpacks?’ is closed to new replies.