Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chickenpox – can you get it twice?
  • Smee
    Free Member

I had chickenpox around 10yrs ago and it was hell. My sons now have it, and I appear to be coming out in spots. WTF is happening?

Olly
    Free Member

i didnt think so.
    praps, your getting it mildly, before your immune system wakes up and goes "hang on, i had this before, about 10yrs back"

if it doesnt kill you, its good for you 🙂

northshoreniall

It is unusual, but possible. Usually presents as shingles second time round apparently.

compositepro
    Free Member

yes yoou can get it again

mates young un has it at the moment and i havent so i did some research

apparently if comes bag as shingles if your immune system didnt get rid of it completely…it can lie dormant in your ganglia apparently which are something to do with your nervous system…when it comes back it can reactivate as shingles

Davy
    Free Member

.it can lie dormant in your ganglia

Quick, cut off your Ganglia! 😆

tyger
    Free Member

Mumps is doin' the rounds too!

scaredypants

rare to get chickenpox twice (unless your immune system isn't right – either time, esp 2nd). That said, chickenpox is only usually diagnosed on sight, so could be mistaken for something else – then you could get it for real "again". (most adults have some immunity whether or not they remeber having chickenpox since it's so widespread). In the USA they vaccinate.

BUT

It pretty much always sits in your ganglia & recurs as shingles (rash along the line of whichever nerve(s) it was sitting in) Reasons for shingles appearing include run-down immune system (but not always). You "can't" catch shingles from someone with c'pox but you can catch c'pox from someone with shingles.

willard

Bed bugs?

compositepro
    Free Member

definitely blame the ganglia

zokes
    Free Member

WTF is a ganglia?

mema
    Free Member

Yep, it's rare but can occur twice, my brother got it twice when he was little.
    The reactivation of the chicken pox virus in your ganglia will be shingles, this isn't brought on from being around chicken pox.

Mike-E

My 2 year old son has had chickenpox twice this year. Which was nice.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Usually presents as shingles second time round apparently.

It is my understanding that does not happen per se. Shingles presents at times of stress and is a recurrence of the original virus that remains present in your system, not because you have been exposed to the chickenpox virus a second time. Of course, if your body is stressed when fighting the virus, it could happen.

Also, shingles is not contagious unless there is direct contact with the blistered skin, and then the person exposed to the virus gets chicken pox, not shingles!

Singles is not nice – I hope you don't get it. I can still feel the patch when I get cold after a VERY mild dose some 9 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chickenpox – can you get it twice?’ is closed to new replies.