• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by SiB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 'chewing is better for you'
  • Pook

this morning I had a two banana, 10 strawberry, milk and yoghurt smoothie for breakfast. It was lovely.

Driving in, the girl I car share with told me that it is healthier to chew the fruit than have it in a smoothie (regardless of yoghurt content).

To me, that sounded like bunkum. Any proof that she is right?

cynic-al
    Free Member

chewing and saliva start the digestive process I think, whether it really matters…

FuzzyWuzzy

Combining large quantities of fructose and lactose isn’t really that healthy however you ingest it is it?

passtherizla
    Free Member

I much prefer eating the fruit than smoothying it… just a preference though I have no idea which is better.

GrahamS

Don’t know, but I have had a dieticianologist friend tell me that the whole “4 of you 5-a-day in one smoothie” thing is a convenient misinterpretation of the guideline.

Apparently it doesn’t count if you eat/drink it all at the same time, and removing the skins and pulping it removes the fibre and reduces the antioxidants too.

d45yth
    Free Member

I know some vegans and veggies use ceramic knives when chopping fruit. Apparently if you use metal ones it oxides the fruit, which they reckon is bad for you…has your blender got ceramic blades?!?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am a vegan and I have ceramic knives…they were cheap in aldi that is the only reason

Essentially the blender will have “chewed” the food better than your teeth so should absorb it quicker

WTF does she mean by healthier?

D0NK

Apparently if you use metal ones it oxides the fruit

this sounds like BS

chewing saliva stomach acid etc, plus all that extra jaw exercise

cheers_drive

There was some food program on TV a year or so ago that did an experiment in 1 set of people had and solid meal with a glass a water and the other set had the water a same food liquidised into a soup. Those that had the soup felt fuller for longer.

loum
    Free Member

Apparently if you use metal ones it oxides the fruit

Restaurant kitchens use plastic knives for shredding lettuce, so there could be truth in it.

d45yth
    Free Member

loum – Restaurant kitchens use plastic knives for shredding lettuce, so there could be truth in it.

I don’t know if oxidized fruit and veg is bad for you, but using plastic/ceramic knives will stop them turning brown.

D0NK

Where did you read that d45yth? quick google and the only info I could find is (surprisingly) from ceramic knife manufacturers. Other sources say rusty knives will speed up browning of apples but steel will be fine.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I don’t know if oxidized fruit and veg is bad for you, but using plastic/ceramic knives will stop them turning brown.

I thought they went brown due to exposure to the air?

If I split an apple in half with my bare hands, it’ll still go as brown as if I’d sliced it in half with a metal knife.

joao3v16
    Free Member

the girl I car share with told me that it is healthier to chew the fruit than have it in a smoothie

Yep, definintely sounds like the bunkum that constitutes the majority of the magazine content aimed at women.

Unless it’s true.

Either way, it’s almost definitely not worth caring about.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve just heard it mentioned in a few online video’s by those preparing fruit, maybe they’ve just been taken in by marketing BS. It’s not something I practice, I just use standard, stainless steel knives. 😆

spchantler
    Free Member

browning of fruits and veg is due to oxidization and nothing to do with what knife you cut with, however if you use a rusty knife its going to be rusty straightaway, obv. my yoga breakfast is muesli soaked the night before, with grated apple, grated the night before. my mate has a fag and a detox tea.

organic355
    Free Member

If I split an apple in half with my bare hands

there was a young polish girl at my last job that could do that. She did have a very strong grip though! 😉

retro83
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

I am a vegan and I have ceramic knives…they were cheap in aldi that is the only reason

Essentially the blender will have “chewed” the food better than your teeth so should absorb it quicker

WTF does she mean by healthier?

Enough quicker to change insulin response? Not saying it does, i know nothing.

portlyone

my mate has a fag and a detox tea.

So the lazy git got him to make the tea?

loum
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMRhcE7TZgY&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

SiB
    Free Member

So whats your car sharing partner like? Any photos?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘'chewing is better for you'’ is closed to new replies.