Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Standup. Comedy
  • bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Anyone done it? I fancy having a go.. Looks easyish

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s on my imaginary list of “things to do before I die but probably won’t bother”.

You should definitely try it if you think it is easy, with video.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

The easy comment was a bit flippant…. I do wanna try it though

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Must be the best feeling ever – if you’re successful of course, not that I’d ever dream of trying it.

I once worked with a tacker who always fancied giving it a go, and one day he did. By all accounts he was quite successful, but then his repertoire on site was always pretty good so that wasn’t entirely surprising.

I takes tremendous guts, unless like Jimmy Tarbuck or Tom O’Connor you have no shame and don’t mind being completely unfunny.

seahouse
    Free Member

I was at the Stand in Glasgow last week and this young guy froze on stage when a drunk in the front row threatened to kick his head in. The atmosphere in the room totally changed, looked like the loneliest place in the world.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

and don’t mind being completely unfunny

-ernie_lynch™.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Yep watched Phil Kay crash and burn at a comedy fest in France… He’d clearly been on the pop/sweets and pretty much forgot how to be funny… Painful as he was booed off

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well obviously I lack the comedic insight to understand the hilarity and comic value of naming myself after a celebrity peadophile GlitterGary, so a fair point well made.

alexpalacefan

I’ve done it. Start slowly, I was at an All-Comers open mic. night at my local.

It helped that I was know in there, and there were a load of my mates in.

What’s the worse that could happen? Go for it.

APF

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tell us a joke then.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What’s the worse that could happen?

No one laughs ?

Unless you’re in the Stand in Glasgow where apparently it’s someone threatens to kick your head in.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Not sure I’d just rock up and do it… I’m gonna rite an act I think first… TA all…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

no one laughs

At ernie_lynch.

I don’t know what you’ve got against me, but the constant email vitriol and goading on this forum has to stop.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

😕 What are you talking about GlitterGary ? I have never sent you an email. I don’t know your email address, and I’ve just checked, it’s not in your profile – perhaps it’s one of the mods ?

As for my alleged “goading” of you, it is precisely you who decided to goad me on this thread !

Why don’t you scroll up and check ?

I haven’t got anything against you fella, but if you go onto a forum and declare your admiration for a famous peadophile and even go as far as basing your username on his name, then you shouldn’t be entirely surprised if you occasionally have the piss taken.

Or did you really think : “I think I’ll call myself GlitterGary and I’m sure no one will bat an eyelid” ?

Most music promoters, in fact as far as I’m aware all music promoters, for obvious reasons, won’t touch Gary Glitter with a bargepole. I doubt whether I’m the only one who thinks your name is deliberately provoking, surely no one can be that much of a fan ? So it seems a little strange that you should complain if it provokes a mild reaction.

So anyway, you have a pop at me on this thread and then you’re mortified that I have a very mild pop back at you ? You’re a sensitive little chap aintcha ? 🙂

Mantastic
    Free Member

A friend took a 10 week comedy course few years back at the Mac in Birmingham. Out the group of 10 that took the course only two were any good. I manged to get an invite to the graduation which was simply each student doing 10 mins stand up to a room full of friends so had to sit through all 10.

After a year or so travelling round the country to various low key gigs (at own expense for no pay) he managed to start to get paid £60 a set (15mins) this goes on till you either get a break or make one happen. He now compares at the Glee club in Birmingham and last time organised a gig with Sarah millican as a surprise guest. He is funny hence he is making a part time living out of it, but he also has a full time job and although it sounds glamorous it ain’t. He spends hours travelling round the place to get to some shocking venues but he loves the attention.

Anyone interested search Craig Deeley and you will find his website

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Well you must have got my email address from somewhere, perhaps before I removed my address from my profile? No matter, I’ll just leave you to your internet lynching if it makes you happy. Being a despicable liar is all you are. Oh, and a coward too. Disgusting behaviour.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

5…4…3…2…

Solo
    Free Member

The easy comment was a bit flippant…. I do wanna try it though

Well, you’re in the right place.

Too many folk on here think they’re funny and exercise absolutely no self control or restraint when unleashing their wit….

So, go ahead.
    😉

scuzz
    Free Member

You can do it, just look for as many gigs as you can – “sportsman’s dinners” and the like. Plenty of shocking comedians preaching to rooms full of drunken football fans in suits.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, you’re in the right place.

Too many folk on here think they’re funny and exercise absolutely no self control or restraint when unleashing their wit….

So, go ahead.

You’re saying he should try stand-up comedy on a web forum? huh?

Solo
    Free Member

You’re saying he should try stand-up comedy on a web forum? huh?

Excellent !.
    😉

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

A black swan walks into a bar…barman says “theyres a pub down the road named after you!” swan says “what allan?”

bum bum tish….fringe here i come!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member

Well you must have got my email address from somewhere, perhaps before I removed my address from my profile? No matter, I’ll just leave you to your internet lynching if it makes you happy. Being a despicable liar is all you are. Oh, and a coward too. Disgusting behaviour.

I have zero interest in emailing you mate. I have never emailed anyone on here other than Elf and Stoner, both of whom I have met in ‘real life’. I have never ever even reported a post on here – I simply don’t take STW that seriously.

And I have to say you calling me a lair really takes the biscuit considering the completely false allegations you have leveled at me. Not only have you falsely accused me of emailing you, but you have also accused me of “goading”, after you have a completely unprovoked pop at me ! 🙂

As for your faux outrage where you accuse me of cowardice and disgusting behaviour, it reminds of when Gary Glitter heard the guilty verdict in the Cambodian court – his immediate reaction was to declare to the TV cameras, in an outraged manner, “unbelievable”. It seems that you share a penchant with your hero for a need to be portrayed as a victim of injustice. And you also clearly share a sense of denial.

EDIT : I’ve just remembered, I’ve also once emailed Barnsleymitch – to give him a few supportive words when he was getting a lot of stick on here. I have never met him. He is the only one as far as I can recall who’s email I have ever taken from a profile.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

yeh yeh whatever how was my joke? 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Alright, made me smile anyway. Old and recrafted but well worth the punt……a light joke with little depth but which nevertheless has an amusing and refreshing sparkle. An excellent example of a well loved vintage which leaves a pleasant lingering smile and is best enjoyed on more frivolous occasions.

HTH

khani
    Free Member

This threads funnier than the last stand up I watched… 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Standup. Comedy’ is closed to new replies.