Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cheapest place to get a copy of Windows XP
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I put a thread on here a while back about my laptop which is dying slowly!

Windows loads but very slowly, so I'm thinking I might try reinstalling it to see if that makes any difference. Can you buy a version that you can just stick in the CD drive so that as the PC boots up it will start installing a fresh copy, or isn't it as simple as that?

Ta

gonefishin
    Free Member

I assume that you don't have the original installation disks then?

Other than that, I bought an OEM version of XP a while back on eBay for about £30 or £40.

Looks like there are plenty available here for about £30 including postage.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Tell me what version you have an I'll whizz you a CD/DVD. Just use the licence code you already have (write it down)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Yeah you will have the COA on the bottom of the laptop. it will say it is either pro or home version. Then you just need the appropriate backup, not a copy because that would be against the law. 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Then you just need the appropriate backup, not a copy because that would be against the law

no, you need a licence, as verified by your key. You can make as many copies of the install disc as you like provided they are only used for licenced installs

schrickvr6
    Free Member

No my point is you can't make a copy of the disc, but it's quite ok to make as many backups as you like, even though it's the same thing.

Saying you will make a copy on here can actually land STW in the shat.

I think I'm quite capable of installing windows thanks mr smartass.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

installing yes, creating a bootable disc? i dont no your capabilities. SORRY!!

i didnt say i make a copy either i said i had both.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I would suggest all software licenses sold on ebay are EXTREMELY likely to be pirate copies

Nick Christy

Who makes music and software and games and films for you when such blatant piracy is apparently OK and all the legitimate producers make a loss on these products?

Please think a little before you act

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Saying you will make a copy on here can actually land STW in the shat.

I don't believe that to be true. You buy a licence to use XP from Microsoft (possibly via 3rd parties), which you are free to reinstall any time you like. If you happen to lose the original disc you can use another one – they're all identical anyway, and copying the disc to that end isn't depriving anyone of revenue.

gonefishin
    Free Member

The copy of XP that I bought on eBay was either genuine, or such a good pirate that it fooled even microsoft as it has been registered fine for a couple of years.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The copy of XP that I bought on eBay was either genuine, or such a good pirate that it fooled even microsoft as it has been registered fine for a couple of years.

well a copy is a copy and highly likely to be identical – the only difference being the key on the box

uplink
    Free Member

I would suggest all software licenses sold on ebay are EXTREMELY likely to be pirate copies

Total & utter bunkham

I've bought a good few in the last year & they've all been genuine

gonefishin
    Free Member

The product key was there too and again was accepted by microsoft.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

well, it may be that the key provided was generated by a cracker, but if Microsoft don't record the keys they issue and accept it as valid then it's their dereliction, not yours – as the only way a private individual can check the authenticity is to go through Microsort's validation

Suggsey
    Free Member

I hope the eaby ones aint rip offs as I needed XP and picked one up with SP3 as an OEM bundle with licence key etc for £22 plus packaging from Germany in UK format.
    Amazon want around £64 for the cheapest one they can supply. Plus the company I sourced it from is a 'Powerseller' with 100% positive feedback.
    How many people when buying off ebay chains etc actually give a toss if its a grey import chain or infact a SRAM/Shimano unlicensed copy?

GrahamS

Use the Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder.

This will tell you the licence key of the version of XP you currently have installed.
    (also works on Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003, Server 2008, Office XP, Office 2003, and Office 2007)

If you can get hold of a copy of the SAME type (i.e. Home, OEM, Pro etc) then you can LEGALLY use your current licence key to install it without any worries.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you can get hold of a copy of the SAME type (i.e. Home, OEM, Pro etc) then you can LEGALLY use your current licence key to install it without any worries.

and I have access to all versions…

GrahamS

Yep, so get your key using that tool. Get a copy off sfb – which as he rightly says is legal. And away you go.

(In this day and age it would be nice if Microsoft just had all the ISOs online for download)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I downloaded XP Home SP3 on spec but can get whatever version you have

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

AndyRT

Who makes music and software and games and films for you when such blatant piracy is apparently OK and all the legitimate producers make a loss on these products?

Please think a little before you act

Now do you think its fair that in 5 years or so movie prices have gone from £3.25 for an adult to £8.95?

Also do these producers and actors etc earning 15 million per film or approx being ripped off? Ofcourse because they might not earn another million or so! big woop.

I had a conversation the other day with someone in the business, I said to him that although i do and say openly, people who download from the internet myself inclueded feel if the prices for films, music, tv etc etc was at a 'sensible' and not greedy price then i would happily pay for it again.

But im sorry all the time they was £10 for a cd or £15 even £25 for BR dvd or £9 for a movie ticket this is taking the P**S!

I used to go to the cinema untill it went to £5 then up up and i now i find the whole media circuit a joke. They are multi millionaires who are greedy in the fact they just want more and to add another white tiger to their back garden! (sorry akon but its a joke)

Anyways Just My Views Huh?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think we all have a fair idea of the going rate for a showing of a film or play of a track from watching TV channels with adverts. If you estimate a 5:1 ratio of content to ads, and price your attention at what, £10 per hour ? That would value films and music videos at £2 per hour or 3p per minute, say 12p a track – although you might place a much lower value on your leisure time – particularly if you're taking comfort break or making tea 🙂

nuke

Are you a parent/grandparent? If so, go here:

Home

They do Win7 and other progs but as an example I got Office 2007 Enterprise for £35…all legit and actually got the link to their webiste via the Microsoft site.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest place to get a copy of Windows XP’ is closed to new replies.