Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheap PC suppliers – base unit only?
  • freddyg
    Free Member

Hi folks,

Anyone know of any cheap PC suppliers?

I’ve had a look at Ebuyer, Dabs and Dell. Any others I should consider?

All I’m after is a base unit for my Dad (who is almost 70). He has a decent monitor, keyboard mouse etc and only needs something for basic stuff – emails, google, odd documents.

Thanks in advance.

And no, a Macbook pro is too expensive 😀 . Were hoping for something <£250.

Thanks.

clubber
    Free Member
    the-muffin-man

Small local computer shop? They may have older base units knocking around that could do the job.

Worth a call IME if there is one with a good reputation.

woody2000

What about one of these?

greenboy
    Free Member

Morgan COmputers have a good base unit for £90

midlifecrashes

Try CCL in Bradford, long running company, good reputation. Money to be saved if he can re-use an old operating system licence too.

CCL Online

freddyg
    Free Member

Novatech looks good.

Ref the small local supplier, he’s just tried them and they’ve stiffed him for best part of £140 to reload XP and replace the CMOS battery twice. All in the last 3 weeks.

He started it up this morning and the problem is still there. He called them up and asked for a price for a replacement base unit and “could they take into consideration the money spent so far for a still non-working box”, they said the best they could do was £350. He’s not too chuffed – especially as he wanted to support a local business. However, be doesn’t like people trying to take the p*ss.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

CCL for me too, being using them for years good stuff at low cost!

freddyg
    Free Member

Many thanks folks, plenty for me to have a look at over lunch.

Much appreciated.

freddyg
    Free Member

Machine ordered from CCL. Many thanks for the tips. 😀

petestuart
    Free Member

Home

Good – no great – for refurb Dells

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Good thread, I was thinking of getting a cheap new PC. A lot of the ones on here don’t seem to have an operating system on – is there any way of transferring your old one from an existing computer?

I don’t really know the first thing about PC’s so apologies if it’s a daft question – it just seems that if I’d have to fork out £90 on top of a refurbished PC then a new one may be just as viable an option.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, you should be able to transfer a Windows license if you have the code from the windows sticker on the old computer.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Cheers, it’s still got the Windows sticker on, how would you transfer it though without the disc? Like I said, I’m not too knowledgeable with computers.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Can use any windows disk you just need the code

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheap PC suppliers – base unit only?’ is closed to new replies.