Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • cheap forks on entry level bikes
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Been looking at £500 bikes for friends who are keen to start riding this year. It appears to me that forks appear to be the weak link in the spec. I’ve started ignoring bikes with suntour forks but that really narrows things down. These bikes are for people who really aren’t going to service them regularly. So, what have people found to be good quality cheap forks?

Del

dunno, but the b-twin decathlon have looks good value at that price point, if you hadn’t seen it.

tthew

Decathlon put a Rockshox Recon on their £500 Rockrider. Think it’s a spring model rather than an air one, but to my mind that bike is the best VFM available for that price at the moment. When I recommended to to a bloke from work that included a quick search for discounted older models.

I used to have one of their bikes, and it was brilliant, no worry about weird geometry or poor quality frames.

edit – ooh, that’s two recommendations, I might have got in there first if my typing was quicker.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

I’ve started ignoring bikes with suntour forks but that really narrows things down.

all rock shox forks are made by suntour, and so are fox lower legs, as well as many others.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve had suntour forks and really liked them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

At that price point searching for old stock on sale will yield huge benefits. Have a look at Cube too.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I’ve still got the cheap RST fork my bike came with, and never had a problem. I am a mincer, though.

chojin
    Free Member

Suntour Epicon forks are actually quite good – the rest of the range are a bit poor however.

ahwiles
    Free Member

cheap forks on entry level bikes

is one thing (to be expected really), but ‘cheap forks on £2000’ bikes is another.

i’m looking at you Specialized.

reboundsuspension
    Free Member

Hi yes the bikes in Decathlon definitely worth a look or 15% off at Dales cycles on April fools day (no seriously) I wouldn’t worry overly, you can always upgrade the forks later when you have the cash.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I’ve only come across Suntour forks a couple of times. Glad to hear they make something passable. Didn’t know they produced so much stuff for everyone else although I guess it makes sense.

The folks asking for advice are not the sort who would relish the idea of dropping a few hundred quid to upgrade the forks in a year or two. I want to make sure they get something half decent as I’ll be the first port of call for anything that stops working or makes a “funny banging noise”.

dave_h
    Free Member

[old man mode]
    The majority of modern day forks are light years better than the Rock Shox Quadra 10s I used to ride everywhere, impressed at their performance over rigid forks. Don’t get caught up in the hype.
    [/old man mode]

jimc101
    Free Member

Quadra 10’s weren’t exactly good forks BITD. MAG10/21’s was where it was at.

Nothing wrong with any forks on low end bikes, just don’t expect them to last, having ridden with people using the basic Suntour / Specialized forks they work fine, but seem to finish the rides with less part than they started with. For servicing though, that’s take off and replace time.

Onzadog
    Free Member

old forks might not have been very well damped or have sophisticated action but they did seem to have better bushes (which were replaceable) than modern cheap forks. (or maybe nostalgia is filling in the pot holes on Memory Lane).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘cheap forks on entry level bikes’ is closed to new replies.