Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • "cheap" carbon road disc frames – Ribble, Planet X, anything else out there?
  • andysmiff1
    Free Member

Got an itch to build up a carbon disc road bike – with a budget in mind though.

Have seen the Ribble Endurance Disc:

Ribble

Or the Planet X RTD-80 (linked to the über-cheap r grade ones – although not sure I’d take a punt on something that PX deem not to their QC standards…..)

PX

Any thoughts on either – anyone got one they can comment on?

Or – any left-field choices anyone can link too?

Cheers,

A

chakaping
    Free Member

I usually think that PX, Ribble etc “cheap” carbon frames are overpriced as frame-only offerings – but that discount PX sounds a good deal if it is only cosmetically flawed.

T800 carbon so should ride like a much more pricey bike. I have a cheap Ribble carbon bike and it’s OK but not worth full asking price IMO.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

At the moment the PX is the one I’m more likely to go for – it’s just taking that risk of what I’d get in the box – they say could be decal issues, or patchy lacquer – or something completely different?! Suppose I’m over cautious given the London Road seat tube debacle….

A

faustus

I thought about carbon disc for a while but concluded that lower-end carbon wasn’t necessarily much better than alu, and could get a much better deal on an alu frame. The RT D80 seems a step up so might be good, but I could never cope with the awful graphics for starters.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What do you call cheap? You can buy an off the peg Giant Defy for £840 which is a lot of bike for the money.

You could even sell the stuff off it you don’t want

andysmiff1
    Free Member

FD – Where have you seen a carbon defy for £840?

Got a Diverge A1 at the mo – full 105 hydro set up, carbon Cobl-Gbr post, kinesis cx-lite wheels (1600g) – so the frame seems a sensible place to drop weight – the A1 frame is the old secteur, which was a bit portly…..

A

shuhockey
    Free Member

Cough!
    Carbon Disc Rolling Frameset
    All you would need is a groupset and some tyres….

rOcKeTdOg

Dolan not disc

nathb
    Free Member

Chinese open?

http://www.flyxii.com/en/products/flx-fr-602.html

Same design as the Ribble CR3.

Mine has been faultless – its pretty fast with slicks too. Mine weighs in at 8.75kg with heavy fulcrum racing sport wheels.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

FD – that’s an Alu Defy – probably not much difference between that and my Diverge?

A

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Nathb – yeah, I’ve seen the CR-3, but looks like they don’t do a frame-only option now?

Did you buy yours direct?

To clarify – I want to source a frame to hang the group set and wheels I currently have – not to buy a complete new bike (or buy one and strip…….)

A

nathb
    Free Member

No doesn’t look like they do anymore.

I bought mine direct from Flyxii back when the £ was stronger 😆 Think it came in at just under $500/£350 inc tax, headset, di2 fitments, spare hanger and a carbon seatpost.

If you’re interested I made a thread on it: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chinese-carbon-cr3flx-fr-602ac059cx-002

sq225917
    Free Member

The RTD-80 r grade frames are paint imperfections only. Some of them are very slight indeed. Usually just incorrect size labelling on BB transfer, or a bit of matt overspray on a gloss area and vice versa, or maybe a couple of pin prick bubbles in the finish.

They’re very good frames, well reviewed by mags and owners alike (that bike owners, not dave who owns us)…

andysmiff1
    Free Member

^

That’s good to know – thanks!

A

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry yes being stupid !

£900 for the advanced 3

nathb
    Free Member

sq225917 – Member
    The RTD-80 r grade frames are paint imperfections only. Some of them are very slight indeed. Usually just incorrect size labelling on BB transfer, or a bit of matt overspray on a gloss area and vice versa, or maybe a couple of pin prick bubbles in the finish.

They’re very good frames, well reviewed by mags and owners alike (that bike owners, not dave who owns us)…

Apart from PX after care service record is shocking/appalling/laughable/diabolical! I’d rather buy from China than from you/them even if the prices were identical.

Once bitten.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I’ve only ever bought one frame from PX / OO and that was fine – however, seeing the London road seat tube issues I’m wary…….

A

nathb
    Free Member

What did you end up with Andy?

njee20
    Free Member

Since this thread came up I’ve bought a Deng Fu R04, it’s dead good. 50mm wheels from a random seller on AliExpress. Ultegra Di2 disc groupset, came out more or less dead on £2k. Like it a lot. Bought an all black Toupe for it since.

nathb
    Free Member

That looks nice!!

Direct from dengfu?

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection!

I ended up with a specialized roubaix sl4 disc frame! Guy at work was upgrading, so ended up buying his frame from him.

Transferred all the kit from my Diverge onto it – then ended up buying another groupset to rebuild the diverge as winter/commuter bike……

A

nathb
    Free Member

I was intrigued as I’ve wrote off my commuter 😥

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Nathb – rubbish. How did that happen?

I like the look of the new aero ribble disc but can’t see it as a frame only – shame ribble have stopped doing frame only’s…

A

nathb
    Free Member

Massive pothole 😳 I’ve cracked the rear hanger holder area, which means I can’t get the wheel to sit straight. This means gears and discs are fudged!

My attempt at trying to get it to work again:

I’m thinking of going down the UK frame route this time, purely as I need a commuter quickly and nothing Chinese has drawn my attention. Njee’s bike is a bit overkill for a commuter lol

njee20
    Free Member

Direct from dengfu?

Yep, via AliExpress as they do TopCashback and discounts and what not. Frame was $400.

Njee’s bike is a bit overkill for a commuter lol

That’s exactly what I built it for! The majority of my riding is commuting, may as well have a nice bike to do it on. Di2 and discs make for a good bad weather bike, no cables to go shitty.

nathb
    Free Member

That’s a bargain!

Cheapest I can find that frame is £460 + import fees. But also I’d need to buy axle conversions for my wheels as I’ve got QRs.

At the moment I’ve found a UK supplied frame for £400, plus another £100 in bits (bb/headset/cables/tape) – everything else will be directly transplanted. It’s not pretty, but it’s not a PX(!!!!!).

andysmiff1
    Free Member

What is it nathb?

njee20
    Free Member

Mmm, yeah, $570 now I see. I only bought it in April, admittedly it was on sale.

nathb
    Free Member

The Ribble Endurance 2016

andysmiff1
    Free Member

The thread has come full circle! Ha ha!

nathb
    Free Member

Haha it’s the $ to £ – makes importing a bit more painful in the wallet department.

Plus although the FR602 has been great, the steering is SO slow compared to my racing bike and it was never going to go off road so a little overkill for me lol.

nathb
    Free Member

Put an insurance claim in on Saturday morning.

They’ve just approved it and are paying out in the next 2-3 days.

Ribble & all the bits ordered 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Just an FYI – I’ve had the Planet X RT80 built up to race crits and road races on. It’s nice and light but man alive does it flex. Like, properly flex to the point where I worry it’s cracked or something (it’s not, or at least not that I can see). Given a choice, I’d not buy another based purely on this…

Njee – love that. Exactly what I want for commuting!

nathb
    Free Member

Hmm quite tempted to cancel my Ribble order!!

andysmiff1
    Free Member

^

I would be! They look awesome for the money!

EDIT – note you’ll need to order the 142×12 axle too…….

A

burchill
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Since this thread came up I’ve bought a Deng Fu R04, it’s dead good. 50mm wheels from a random seller on AliExpress. Ultegra Di2 disc groupset, came out more or less dead on £2k. Like it a lot. Bought an all black Toupe for it since.

Do you commute down Priory Road/through Richmond Park by any chance?

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the problem I’d require:
    New brakes/adapters
    New axles
    bottom bracket

So probably another £150 over the ribble…

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d need new wheels/brakes/rotors/BB for the Cube.

I’m going to stick with the Ribble, as much as I like the look of the Cube.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘"cheap" carbon road disc frames – Ribble, Planet X, anything else out there?’ is closed to new replies.