Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Changing Mono Mini Pads
  • udder
    Free Member

I can't seem to remove the pin that holds the pads in place. It's driving me mad. I've removed the little clip but the bloody thing still wont budge. It doesn't seem to be screwed in, so what has the pin catching on?

By the way, the brakes work fine, but I've got some sintered ones that I want to try out.

Cheers!

ononeorange

If I remember rightly, the Mono Mini pin also has a thread on so it screws in – if there's an Allen head in the end of the pin see if it will unscrew.

ski
    Free Member

The rubber seal on the pin is probably sticking, give it a little tap and it should "fire" out the other side lost forever 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

+1 for a little tap, it's just sitting in there.

udder
    Free Member

There's no allen head on the pin. There's an allen head on the pin that comes with with new pads though.

I've given it a little tap. Actually, the little tap came close to me smacking the cr*p out of it. Unfortunately, no rubber seal fired out of the end.

Paulio
    Free Member

This happens sometimes on my Mono M4's and I use a screwdriver (carefully, watch fingers and caliper!) to push the pin from the non-rubber seal end to pop it out. It doesn't take much force.

A bit of grease or water around the seal helps when you need to push it back in.

nickegg
    Free Member

+1 for pushing the pin with a screwdriver or the end of an allen key.

The pin doesn't have a thread on it, only X2 pads have the threaded pin. I've owned Mono mini (Black/gold and silver/black types) and currently run X2.

X2 pads and Mono Mini pads are different sizes and have different pins. If your new pads have a threaded pin then they won't fit your Mono mini calipers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are pressing the pin out the correct direction? Push on the end with the spring clip in so the pin comes out to the outside of the bike

udder
    Free Member

I've got a bit of sweat on my brow, but I've finally managed to get the pin out.

Nickegg's right, after all that grief the pads are different. That's the last time I use that bike shop. In fact, that's the last time I go into any bike shop without doing my own research! They're Hope sintered pads, labelled 'MINI PAD', so you can see how I got tricked into paying £30 for a set of pads that don't fit.

What a waste of time. Well, at least I know how to get these things out for when I finally get some pads that fit…

So, until the next time that I screw something up, thanks for all the replies 🙂

nickegg
    Free Member

Sorry to hear you got dicked around by the shop….same thing happened to me last September.

Bought a new Orange 5 with X2 brakes, off to the Alps for a week so went to my LBS and asked for 3 pairs of pads for each of our bikes, owner says you'll need 6 pairs of the same as X2 pads are no different to the Mono Mini's on my wifes bike. Lucky we didn't need any pads for our trip because as it turns out they wouldn't have fitted mine anyway.

When i mentioned this to my LBS after the holiday he said "Yeah, they're different"!!! I don't use him anymore! I was so annoyed with him, he'd been great up until then too.

So, do your own research is the moto of the story.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

£30 for a set of hope pads? I hope(!!) that was front and rear as my LBS charges £15 a pair and CRC £10

udder
    Free Member

Yeah it was £30 for a set. I've been getting a bit frustrated with that particular bike shop for a while with their lack of knowledge and surly service. I've spent a lot of money in there in the past but they never offer any discount.

I'm all up for supporting the local bike shops as I think they're essential to cycling. Not everyone loves to tinker with their bikes but they enjoy riding them all the same. I know they simply cannot compete with the likes of CRC, but when frustrating things like this happen the don't help themselves or the world of cycling.

How about that for a rant? Maybe I should buy a bike shop and show them how it's done….. of maybe I should just shut up.

philfive
    Free Member

hahahaha i did exactly the same thing, i bought mini instead of mono mini 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Changing Mono Mini Pads’ is closed to new replies.