Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chainring bolts for SS
  • stayhigh

I need some new chainring bolts for my SS and had a question. Can you get bolts that dont require a peg spanner to tighten at the rear, say use an allen key instead, or is it peg tastic all the way?

The reason I ask and the reason I need new ones is my last set fell of resulting in a near groin stem interface and a craccked chainring.

They were aluminium bolts which I’d tighten as much as possible with my peg spanner but had somehow managed to work themselves loose quite dramatically.

Maybe loctite them in would help but then would they come out after is the question? On my triple XT I used loctite after changing rings but when I went to replace them the bolts had siezed.

Any thoughts appreciated 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

you can get ones that take an allen key both ends. I have seen them around and think the FSA ones are like that and also some that Toronto sell.

tbh something else is wrong if you are losing chainring bolts and you will probably strip them doing them up tight. Just nip them up with some blue loctite and they should be fine.

ssboggy

Best not to use aluminium chainring bolts on ss rings, get some steel ones, Charlie the bike monger sells them, then put a bit of locktite on as well

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stayhigh

I used loctite 243 on the previous set which seized, which would you recomend?

Will check out the FSA bolts, do you mean here when you say TORONTO

whinosp
    Free Member

I’m quite worried that I enjoy browsing websites of bolts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don’t use alloy bolts on chainrings

andyl
    Free Member

Loctite 248 – pritstick style pen from Halfords for about £8.

Means you don’t put too much on which is quite a common cause of people gluing things solid 😀

Steel bolts are best but the ones that are both stainless and aluminium are not horrendous if you get decent ones.

GDRS

Chas Bike Mong – short bolt tastic.

andyl
    Free Member

ahh yeah forgot about Charlie. Deffo try there. He will have nice steel one. He doesnt ponce about with lightweight breaky stuff.

stayhigh

I looked on Charlie the Bikemongers he-who-must-not-be-named site the other day but was listed as out of stock. Was a week ago though so will have another peek.

GDRS

I say drop an e and see 🙂

tomlevell

HubJub also
    http://www.hubjub.co.uk/etc/etc.htm#rb

Never had an issue with them.

andyl
    Free Member

GDRS – Member
    I say drop an e and see

Not sure how taking drugs is going to help but you never know 😉

stayhigh

Not sure how taking drugs is going to help but you never know

I guess everything going all swirly may help with my pedalling techniquie lol :mrgreen:

andyl
    Free Member

Well I’ve heard of single speeders stopping for a can of beer under a tree mid race so maybe you are on to something. Would go with your username too!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chainring bolts for SS’ is closed to new replies.