Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chain suck … grrr !
  • hughbarton
    Free Member

Anyone got this sorted ? I’ve done 12+ years of off-road in the peak district (first with a Merlin hardtail / deore, and later with a Whyte 46 / XT) and recently on the Whyte i started getting the chain sucked around the 22T chainring. Of course, this only happens when you’re busting your lungs up Kinder or Chapel Gate or Cut Gate, places like that, and the bike just stops, followed by foot-down. I’ve replaced the 22T and chain, but still it happens especially when the mud and drit get in the transmission. Should i try a new rear mech with stiffer sprint to keep the chain stretched out ? any ideas ? thanks in advance.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

Singlespeed followed by a good dose of MTFU.

bassspine
    Free Member

suck on this it’s the good explanation of why it happens

megastream
    Free Member

stay away from the granny is my advice 😆 especially if your clogged up with mud

DT78
    Free Member

I spent a good 18 months trying various things out on my duster, in the end a swap to a 26 and 36 steel deore rings seemed to fix my issue…

Obviously the best solution would be an alfine 🙂

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I ended up just getting a new bike, job done ))

Inbred456
    Free Member

It tends to disappear when I change from alloy to steel rings! Deore all the way for me.

hughbarton
    Free Member

thanks all and bassspine, thanks for the link … wow so much science !

the main theme seems to be steel rings so i’ll look into that … i’m still on 9-speed XT so finding one shouldn’t be too difficult.

sadly round here there’s no option but to use the 22T ring …. anyone tried ascending Chapel Gate will know what i mean

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chain suck … grrr !’ is closed to new replies.