Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Chain cleaning and lubrication
  • slparsons
    Free Member

Please recommend a new chain cleaner. I’ve had 2 Park Tools ones which did a good job cleaning, but have both failed.

Also what’s your favoutite chain lube?

I use Rohloff oil on my Thorn Raven and this is great, but I’d say too thick for a derailure gear system.

I’ve used Dry lubes which are ok if its dry, but a splash of water and they’re gone IME.

Wet lubes I find tend to attract and hold every bit of debris and soon build up into a sort of grinding paste.

Does the perfect chain lube exist?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The best chain cleaner I have used is a chain with a powerlink type set up, an old ice scream tub, and just enough diesel to cover the chain, leave for a few minutes then shake around a bit and hey presto one very clean, lightly oiled chain.

I just got some of this http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/teflon-plus-lube.htm and it appears very good so far, but not used it really muddy conditions yet.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Please recommend a new chain cleaner… what’s your favoutite chain lube?

+

granny_ring

I’ve got a park one as well but the handle snapped off.
    Last couple of times I’ve tried using a 4 pint milk container.
    Dropped the chain in, covered with degreaser, left to soak for a few minutes,
    screw top on and shake like buggery, hook out with a piece of wire and rinse.
    When the froth has died down and dirt and grease has settled in container pour the ‘clean’ stuff into another container and ready for the next time.

If the chain is very dirty it might need 2 goes but I’ve been very pleased with results, better than the chain cleaner and only a bit of faff.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’e had one of those roller cleaners, seems to clean the exterior really well but seems less able to get the grit out from the wearing parts inside – still crunchy after a good clean but on a road bike it works a charm. I too have found the diesel and an ice-cream tub trick works a treat, though I prefer petrol then re-lube with teflon.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Fenwicks foaming chain cleaner and chain cleaning sponge block.

avdave2

I use Rohloff oil on my Thorn Raven

I use anything lying around on my Catalyst, currently Toyota gearbox oil, and only occasionally wipe it clean.

I use Squirt on my other bike but it’s the Catalyst that comes out whenever it’s wet and muddy.

alexpalacefan

+1 for Rock n Roll extreme.

A bit expensive, but worth it,

APF

weeksy

GT85 and a dry rag.

I’ve had my chain on my XTC29er now for almost 2000 miles and never missed a beat.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

putoline chain wax -the boil in a tin type – cleans and lubes chains

Onzadog
    Free Member

Damn it! I agree with tj.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Chain cleaning and lubrication’ is closed to new replies.