Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Chain checker
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Found an MBUK chain checker under the sofa today, identical to the generic X-Tools, Silverline and no doubt other branded ones.

Assuming these things are actually any use ( ??? ) I presume that if the thingy doesn’t drop properly into the link then you’re chain is still ok?

If they’re crap, what’s the measurement you should be looking for or changing at to avoid having to change the cassette and chainring as well?

welshfarmer

I bought one the other day. Has 2 sides?? 0.75% on one side and 1% on the other. I was told that when it reaches 0.75% you should change the chain. If it is between 0,75 and 1% then it is too late to change just the chain as the sprokets/cassette will be worn too so just run the lot until it starts to slip and change the whole drive train.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s the one. The 0.75 side doesn’t drop in properly yet, let alone the 1.0 side.

welshfarmer

Good to go then. Tried on my bikes. 2 with almost new chains, barely get it to even fit./ The other one…. hmm almost drops right down on the 1% side 🙂 Ah well, saves buying a new chain just yet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Chain checker’ is closed to new replies.