Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • Centre lane drivers!
  • GreatWhyte
    Free Member

Centre lane drivers- i don't get it.
    Do they get clubcard points for it or something?

M11 the other day was like an idiot pandemic!

Any theories?

warton
    Free Member

laziness can be the only reason they do it. It boils my piss

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Don't get me started on a grump…. It's the reason driving in the UK is such a miserable experience, if drivers moved over (that includes from the outside lane) the motorways would free up and be safer.
    Makes me laugh when people talk about bad driving on 'the continent' – at least they know how to drive on motorways!
    Grump over – I thank you.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

don't get me started! what annoys me even more is when lorries attempt to over take other lorries and take for ever because they are only going a tiny bit faster!

bassspine
    Free Member

what annoys me even more is when lorries attempt to over take other lorries and take for ever because they are only going a tiny bit faster!

why? HGV diesels run a very narrow rev band. If they lose 1 mph they often have to drop right down the gearbox, all the way down to walking pace jsut to accelerate again.

What, cars can't get past? Think it through it's only difficult because of mr lanehoggingtwattytweedhat in the wrong lane

mikertroid
    Free Member

The HGV drivers are all limited by speed restrictors. It just depends exactly how it's set up; that's why there's often a 1-2mph differential.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don't really see the problem with it, they're predictable, they're not going to change lane, so you get to feel like an outlaw and rip up the inside of them.

bassspine
    Free Member

I have to admit, I treat midlane hogs as (very short)queues and continue cruising along in the left hand lane.

What does puzzle me is when you come up behind a car in the LHL, overtake as normal and then see (in the mirror) the driver pull out into the middle lane after you've gone past… what's that all about?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

It just slows every thing down because everyone who was overtaking (or just sitting!) in the middle lane, then they go into the outside lane and slow down the really speedy people!
    I do agree, wouldn't be such a problem if people were in the right lane!

PePPeR

Yes they are breaking the rules of the road and being ignorant, but generally we who are grumping about them aren't totally innocent either!

I was with a guy in a van last week and he was grumping about just such people whilst we were on the motorway, I had to point out to him that we were actually doing 80 miles an hour so were breaking rules too!

As for it being different in Europe, what tosh! I work in Belgium and Germany on a regular basis and their standards are far worse than ours, they do have less triple lane carriageway though so it doesn't confuse people as much so they tend to move over! The standards of driving especially around the larger cities in Europe are dreadful! The amount of accidents I see every morning is far far greater than here in the UK.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

There's so many that the odds are there are a few on here – care to explain why you do it? If everyone honked their horn or flashed them they'd soon get the feeling they were doing something wrong.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

tiger roach? we're all innocent

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Makes me laugh when people talk about bad driving on 'the continent' – at least they know how to drive on motorways!

Having driven across Holland, France, Germany, Austria, Italy & Spain I can say that I don't understand this oft quoted phrase – the majority of motorway on the continent are only 2 lane so no middle lane to hog.

Italians are without doubt the worst/least safe drivers. Spanish motorways were for the most part empty and a pleasure to drive on.

surfer
    Free Member

No they dont I'm afraid.

WTF
    Free Member

It is easier to stay in centre lane as when you are adding the tonic to your G&T it makes it a bit harder to concentrate on steering so if you veer a bit left or right you won`t crash into anything as everyone else is more concerned about your cars position on the road.

HTH

Drac

Overtake them if there in the middle lane.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Someone please tell me if I start complaining about middle lane drivers, as it will remind me to go and kill myself due to the insignificance of my life 🙂

mogrim

Spanish motorways were for the most part empty and a pleasure to drive on.

Wish that were true – it might be away from the major cities, but I can assure you the tailbacks getting into and out of Madrid are definitely not a pleasure.

My wife's uncle is a middle-lane driver, I asked him why once: he doesn't like being that close to the edge.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

IanMunro – time you saw the light, all these small things actually add to the significance! Or something.
    Up until a year ago I was driving regularly between UK and Brussels. 90% of the time it was a blessed relief to drive off the train the other side and onto roads where the majority of drivers move over whenever they can. And if they don't move over they don't seem to mind a reminder, unlike here where flashed headlights or an indicator seems to bring down the red mist. Bit of a pig driving in Brussels though!

Drac

**** me you flash your lights.

/cancels STW account.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

🙂

GrahamS

I'm sure we've done this before, but to me the drivers that are far worse are the ones that obsessively pull back into the left lane, even if traffic ahead means they will only be there for a couple of seconds before pulling out again.

That shows complete lack of thought and ability to anticipate – but hey, they are sticking to the rules eh?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Middle lane drivers.

Use them like a slalom course.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Distinct lack of knowledge on SWT about the highway code, fits in with most stuff on here.
    Oh and the principle of slipstreaming, whilst I'm at it 😉

nonk
    Free Member

if this topic comes up on here again this place is beyond tragic.
    mind you its been on so many times that the day may have allready passed.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

But I missed it last time! Unlike you I've got a life so can't sit here monitoring every thread 😉

kerv
    Free Member

Where the motorways are now up to 4 lanes these nuggets now sit with 2 empty lanes to their left, who do they think these lanes are for?

fackit
    Free Member

Or when they pull on to a clear motorway and in to the middle lane – AND STAY THERE…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The inside lane is for lorries and grandmas. If I can't see any of these for the next 2 miles, I'll think about pulling over. I can't remember a stretch of road quiet enough for me to actually do so though.

kerv
    Free Member

Can't recall the lorries and grandmas section in the highway code, I allways thought in this country we drove on the left and moved over to overtake, same as any other road! Mind you it was a long time ago I took my test.

Cougar

If I can undertake you, you're in the wrong lane.

Barstools the lot of 'em.

WTF
    Free Member

The 40mph everywhere drivers are the worst tbh.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's really simple to be safe and courteous: scan the mirrors regularly and when you see someone approaching, make way for them.

cinnamon_girl

I'm becoming a naughty girl. 😳

Back to my London habits – flashing my lights at middle lane drivers, undertaking too.

There's gonna be one less girl on the road soon.

konabunny
    Free Member

It should be legal to shunt them out of the way.

Toot! Toot!

falkirk-mark

I usually sit in the middle lane. in the slow lane they all do 50-60. I usually do 70-80. When I go in the inside lane you invariably end up trying to get out when someone is coming up even faster than me in the middle lane. So I generally stay in the middle (there is also another lane on the outside if 70-80 isn't fast enough. And I do stay on the inside if the motorway is empty.

Rich
    Free Member

It pisses me off more when I'm driving correctly and pull in, then when Im getting close enough to the car in front to warrant pulling back into the middle lane someone is creeping past at 1 mph more than me, so I then have to brake and wait, makes me wish I'd stayed in the middle lane!

zaskar
    Free Member

You lot need to relax more.

Just ignore them and pootle onwards on your journey.

kiwijohn

3 lane motorways? Sheer luxury!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Lifes too short , pass on whichever side is free and be on your way

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Centre lane drivers!’ is closed to new replies.