Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • CDale Bad Boy
  • Garry_Lager

Quick one – Is the cannondale bad boy frame the same across all models, and is it drilled for a rack?

fatmax

no tnere's the original BB with 26" wheels and a new stealth model with 700c wheels…

Talkemada
    Free Member

There's different models, suspension fork and rigid, v-brake or disc, geared and SS. From what I can see here, none of them seem to have rack mounting points, which is a bit silly on a commuter bike.

TBH, something like a Marin Muirwoods might be a better bet; cheaper for a start.

VassagoJay
    Free Member

My Bad Boy has rack mountings, not sure what model it is but it's for 700c wheel (I have run it with 26" as well).
    My blackburn rack does not fit though due to the disc brakes.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Dunno about a rack but mudguards have been a pain on my GF's Bad Boy because of the discs.

It's a nice bike but a bit caught between two stools for me. Someone else described it as too nice for a commuter, but too commuter-y for anything else which is about right I think.

Ewok
    Free Member

Had the same dilemmas, ended up with a custom road rat.

discs, racks, mudguards, all on easy peasy, while also looking tip top.

13thfloormonk

Garry_lager, you're near the co-op aren't you? Plenty of Bad-Boys on display in there, should answer the question tootsweet.

billysan
    Free Member

Mine had rack mountings too. Im pretty sure they all did actually. Mine had eyelets for full mud guards as well.

Garry_Lager

Thanks all. I could pop into the co-op and take a look, good idea. I'd buy it from there too, but my employer has just switched to cyclescheme for CtW, which the coop aren't part of. Cannae make up me mind between the 700 and the 26 wheeled model – is it possible that the frame (for disks) could be the same, despite the different wheel size?

cynic-al
    Free Member

doubt it – bb height would alter by 1.5"

VassagoJay
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure they are designed to use 700c or 26" wheels !! the BB height difference is going to be minimal if you run 26" with big MTB tyres on it

VassagoJay
    Free Member

This is a quote from the Cannondale blurgh !

THE ORIGINAL BLACK BIKE:

A decade ago, Cannondale mechanics and product managers developed a bike that could swap disc-equipped 26-inch wheels with 700c wheels. Originally, it was a race-one-day, train-the-next-day bike for our XC racers. Then we painted it matte black and sold it to the masses. Since then, black bikes have become de rigeur.

walleater

LOL, but yeah, the previous generation were just mountain bike frames painted black and you could stick in skinny tyred 700c wheels in, just like any other mountain bike…. Try fitting a bigger tyre and fenders though…

iainc

I have a 2010 disc 26. It can take racks, it has mudguard eyelets (but not on fork). It has pannier mounts on fork. I have crud catchers on mine, although the front one sits a bit funny as the cables and brake hose are on the downtube. I have 1.95 tyres on and there is still loads of clearance.

I have it set up for 'family rides' with the kids, hence mtb tyres and flats, but it is equally at home as a fast commuter with the slicks it came with, and is pretty light.

tendonitis
    Free Member

Had 700c wheeled 2009 model, didn't have rack eyes on seat stays but did have m/guard eyes, so used one of those M-part seatpost clamps with built in rack eyes-worked fine with rack+ m/guards

Talkemada
    Free Member

THE ORIGINAL BLACK BIKE:
    A decade ago, Cannondale mechanics and product managers developed a bike that could swap disc-equipped 26-inch wheels with 700c wheels. Originally, it was a race-one-day, train-the-next-day bike for our XC racers. Then we painted it matte black and sold it to the masses. Since then, black bikes have become de rigeur.

That's bollocks. The original Bad Boy was a v-brake frame. No disc mounts. I know this, because I was looking for a new bike at the time, and considered buying one. I'm pretty sure it was a couple of years before there was a disc version. Cannondale did do a mtb which came with a set of 700c wheels with narrow slicks, but that was a top-end race bike; the 700c wheels were supplied as well as the 26" mtb wheels and fat tyres…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘CDale Bad Boy’ is closed to new replies.